Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > A Thought - Mentorship Swap???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would love to send out some of my beer, of course id have to bottle some. I've only been brewing since January 08, but have made 135 gallons and have my processes down pat. I would not expect a pat on the head, as the purpose would be to identify flaws and become a better brewer. I can take a punch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #12
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I can be honest in scoring beers in a contest, but it's hard here at HBT. I've had some fantastic beers, and was honest, but I've had some bad beers, too. I was pretty honest, mentioned an astringent off-flavor (probably due to water), but the brewer said something like "oh, yeah, all my beers have that" and really didn't want an honest review. So, I give up on critiquing beer unless the brewer really, really wants a critique!

It sounds easy- try my beer and give an honest review. But it's not that easy. No one really wants to hear a bad review. They hurt!

I love beer, and enjoy pulling out the BJCP scoresheets and trying to do my best to be honest. I'd rather have people enter a contest though, where they can get some unbiased opinions on the beer. Some scoresheets have great input on what to do, what might be lacking, any off-flavor and possible causes, etc. I'd encourage any body to enter a homebrew contest and really read the feedback on the scoring sheets.

I agree to a point. The BJCP is good at judging beers made to style, but alot of us make beers not quite to style (some good some bad) but would get hit hard at a comp.

I would be interrested in this, and I'm well past 100 batches

Old 11-27-2008, 06:07 AM   #13
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm sending out 3 beers this winter (early '09 to be precise) to 2 different semi-local contests (Upper Miss Mash Out, and, BABBLE brew off), both are AHA sanctioned so i'm hoping to get some reall (realltreallyreally) honest reviews. BUT I've heard both here and on the Jamil show on BN that a lot of time you just get 1 or 2 word "glib" responses on a subpar entry.
I "hope" my entries aren't sub par, and my original intention was to send my competition entries to fellow HBT-ers for thier review.
Granted I can see Yoopers point:
We're all frineds here (or at least we think so) so no-one wants to trash a fellow HBTers brew, but the caveat to this swap is that I want a BRUTALLY honest review.
Maybe the solution is to anominze the swap judging, only problem is that i don't know how. Maybe a cnetral clearing house for a ship to address(read MOD or other trustworthy person), reviews are sent to the clearing house via PM and then the impartial revires are posted by said "clearing house"

Just thinking our loud here, but maybe its the engineerd in my but i crave the reviews....

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 11-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

[quote=GreenwoodRover;977952]Maybe a cnetral clearing house for a ship to address(read MOD or other trustworthy person), reviews are sent to the clearing house via PM and then the impartial revires are posted by said "clearing house"
quote]

The problem I see with this is the shipping itself. We'd all be paying twice to ship our beers. Once to the "clearing house", and again to the final recipient.

Unless the MOD that hosts the "clearing house" eats it and pays to ship out all of those beers

Old 11-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

I think it should be done along the same guidelines as any other swap. We all need to grow some thicker skin if we really want an honest, accurate assesment of our libations.
The moment that you send a PM to the mod hosting the swap, you are agreeing to participate. That includes the possibility of a bad review. I say just deal with it. If you get a good review, great. If you get a bad review, great. Take that and use it to improve your brewing techniques.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 AM   #16
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster View Post
...If you get a good review, great. If you get a bad review, great. Take that and use it to improve your brewing techniques.
True dat. Polite compliments do less to improve a person than a good ole fashion, honest critique. My best friends are the one who told me what I needed to hear...not what I wanted to hear.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, so who wants to try my pumpkin ale? It's in 22's. Be ready to ship in about 2 weeks....just tell me how to ship....

Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I recently asked a member here to review a beer I made, and will do it again. I sent beer I was pretty darn sure was a good one.

It would be tough to be in the BJCP's position, but honesty is what should be expected. Have a thick skin, or don't be a part of the process.

It may also help (I should have done this), is for the "critiquee" to write up their own critique to send with the beer. A comparison between what you think your beer is, and what the person judging it thinks, would help develop your senses and judging ability.

My $0.02...!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've been keen to have some experienced brewers try my latest batches, now that I'm getting reliable and predictable numbers from my setup. I do think that receiving feedback is its own reward... no need for a "swap" per se.

And I might be a little optimistic, but I think that someone willing to pay to mail beer without receiving beer in return might be serious enough to handle a brutally honest critique. That's my hope, anyway.

I think there are two kinds of critiquing, as Biermuncher mentioned previously. There's critiquing for a brewer's process, and then there's critiquing a recipe. I think both would be valuable.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #20
BrewTaster
Recipes 

Ill be moving to AG sometime early in the new year, mid jan to early feb most likely. After I get a few batches under my belt id be more then willing to trade with a more experienced member. As I am in Canada, it may serve well for myself to pair with another Canadian brewer.

Quick Reply