Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > A Thought - Mentorship Swap???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default A Thought - Mentorship Swap???

Just a thought that I don't really know how to turn into action...

I searched "swap" and after 6 pages I gave up so if its been done before it wasn't recent.

If some of the more experienced members would be willing, maybe we could arrange a swap where newer AG brewers (10 or less batches or whatever arbitrary number) could swap with more experienced AG brewers (30+batches say) for the purposes of an honest homebrewer review of the beer and dialing in procedure or identifing flaws or off flavors. It doesn't need to be exclusive to AG, maybe newer extract guys could swap with some of the more experienced extracters here as well.

Not a real good deal for the experienced guys (or gals), having to drink average or worse beer from a n00b, but to handicap it maybe do a 2:1 ratio (2, 12oz of n00b to 1, 12oz experienced) or have the n00b send a nice commercial 22oz as a "thank you".

Probably more of a pipeline/random style swap than a specific one like the RIS or 10der.

Would there be any interest in this? Possibly as an after the holidays thing?

Since it would more than likely be a partner-up kinda thing there wouldn't need to be any hard dates, but just maybe a centralized clearing house for the reviews...

I know that come Januray 15th I'll have 3-4 sytles finished and well aged in the pipeline I wouldn't mind getting a candid review on....

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would be very interested in this! I wouldn't mind not getting anything in return. It would be cool to try to match it up on style, though. That way we can see how it's really done!

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Good idea, style for style would definately help in comparing notes/flaws.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 11-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe that there are only a couple of BJCP's around here. TxLaw is one and Reverend JC took the test recently, though I do not know what the results were.

You may want to PM one (or both) of them and see if you can send them some beer in exchange for an evaluation.

I'd have no problem giving an honest evaluation of a beer if sent to me, but I'm probably not going to send out my beers in return. I would think that if your main objective is to learn about the good and bad points of your beers and learn how you can make your beers better then the review/evaluation should serve as compensation.

Whatever you do, don't assume that high post count = experience.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Pyrenus
Recipes 

I'd be interested. Never got anyone interested in my critique thread posted a few weeks back.

I wouldn't need or want anything in return, just feedback.

On Deck: Cream Ale, Hobgoblin, Pumpkin Ale, Apfelwein
Primary #1: NONE
Primary #2: Apfelwein
Bottled (10/18/08): Irish Red, Hefeweizen

Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 656 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 385

This is something that I'd be interested in as well. As a beginner AG brewer, I've only got my SWMBO and friends to evaluate what I make. Aside from either good or bad, I don't really get a detailed feedback to improve upon.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I've no problem giving a BJCP scoresheet critique for newer brewers. My early beers got some scathing reviews by some judges. It sucked. I was pissed, but they were right. And the feedback made me a better brewer.

A random pipeline idea is good, but sometimes we end up critiquing the recipe instead of the brewers technique.

I would suggest if you do this, you come up with an agreed upon, rather simple recipe...including a standard yeast and set mash schedule. It will be easier for an experienced brewer to identify off flavors or other flaws if the beer is brewed off of a template.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

I would be interested in participating in this.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I will gladly try an AG or extract beer from just about anyone. I don't have enough experience (IMO) making beer yet, but I have drank enough of it and I like to think my reviews are pretty honest.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

I can be honest in scoring beers in a contest, but it's hard here at HBT. I've had some fantastic beers, and was honest, but I've had some bad beers, too. I was pretty honest, mentioned an astringent off-flavor (probably due to water), but the brewer said something like "oh, yeah, all my beers have that" and really didn't want an honest review. So, I give up on critiquing beer unless the brewer really, really wants a critique!

It sounds easy- try my beer and give an honest review. But it's not that easy. No one really wants to hear a bad review. They hurt!

I love beer, and enjoy pulling out the BJCP scoresheets and trying to do my best to be honest. I'd rather have people enter a contest though, where they can get some unbiased opinions on the beer. Some scoresheets have great input on what to do, what might be lacking, any off-flavor and possible causes, etc. I'd encourage any body to enter a homebrew contest and really read the feedback on the scoring sheets.

Quick Reply