Sour Swap #3: Funkadelic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my package. Safe and sound in the house without any visible problems. I love/hate the fact that I am on vacation. Saturday couldn't come quick/slow enough. Thanks man. It will be a lovely welcome home present since our cats are going to be mad at us for the day.

Been thinking about dosing some commercial bottles with some brett and re-corking. Anyone ever try this? Candidates include: Crooked Line Baltic Porter, Chimay (any), Any Imperial Porter or Stout (Hunapu on Brett?).

TD

Saaaweeeeeet! Came home from Vaca to find a box of fun in the living room. Thanks a bunch beast! Can't wait to try everything. Can't go wrong with the gose too. Prost!

1407607482448.jpg

Whoever sent my box, with the wicked weed stuff.
Just booked a trip this fall for a getaway with SWMBO to Asheville NC area. Seems that the Wicked Weed brewery is there? Might be nice to pick up some of their sours? Any helpful hints on where to go to find sours or trip advice in general would be greatly appreciated if you happen to be local to the Asheville area.

Thanks!

just cracked Oblivion, so far so good!

TD

That was me....I have no idea about going there other then I've heard the brewery itself is a great place to go. I believe some of their stuff is on the shelves locally (there) as well.

Not many local sours so I had to send from other areas. WW has some good stuff and not unreasonable to trade for.

I spent some time researching finally. Seems that the Asheville area is a really cool place to visit for beer geeks. Sierra Nevada building a brewery nearby, and Oskar Blues is also nearby (though I've never actually had any of their beers). Several micro/nano breweries to visit. Wicked weed is a must.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I spent some time researching finally. Seems that the Asheville area is a really cool place to visit for beer geeks. Sierra Nevada building a brewery nearby, and Oskar Blues is also nearby (though I've never actually had any of their beers). Several micro/nano breweries to visit. Wicked weed is a must.

TD

Asheville is awesome! The mountains and rivers have great hiking, fishing, rafting, and camping too!

Definitely looking forward to the trip (and the beer!)
Several threads here about members going to visit. sounds like it'll be fun.
Also, thanks again for the wicked weed brews in my box. The serenity, I think is a gold medalist from GABF 2013.
Haven't had that yet.

TD

Whoever sent my box, with the wicked weed stuff.
Just booked a trip this fall for a getaway with SWMBO to Asheville NC area. Seems that the Wicked Weed brewery is there? Might be nice to pick up some of their sours? Any helpful hints on where to go to find sours or trip advice in general would be greatly appreciated if you happen to be local to the Asheville area.

Thanks!

just cracked Oblivion, so far so good!

TD

We go every year for Asheville Beer Week. Wicked Weed is a requirement everyday you are there. Make sure to drink upstairs and downstairs as they serve different beers. There are a lot of micro breweries within walking distance. Groups like green man, Asheville brewing company (ninja porter is a must), Burial, Hi-wire, LAB (Lexington Avenue Brewing, good food too), One World brewing (they had just opened the week before Beer week and are tiny), and Thirsty monk are a requirement.

For good ribs hit up Pack's Tavern.

Bruisin' Ales is the great bottle shop to hit up to get locals to take home.

We go every year for Asheville Beer Week. Wicked Weed is a requirement everyday you are there. Make sure to drink upstairs and downstairs as they serve different beers. There are a lot of micro breweries within walking distance. Groups like green man, Asheville brewing company (ninja porter is a must), Burial, Hi-wire, LAB (Lexington Avenue Brewing, good food too), One World brewing (they had just opened the week before Beer week and are tiny), and Thirsty monk are a requirement.

For good ribs hit up Pack's Tavern.

Bruisin' Ales is the great bottle shop to hit up to get locals to take home.

Thanks! Going with my wife so no sure how much pub crawls I'll be able to get in. I've told her that I'm interested in at least 5 brewpubs and maybe a tour or two. Wicked weed is obviously a must. I'll be sure to study the distro list and hit up the bottle shops mentioned for some "souvenirs".

Back to school sour swap round#4 anybody? Maybe we wait til two hearted gets settled in Portland? When is the big move anyway?

TD

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lets get this next swap up!?

As two hearted is moving would anyone else want to take the reigns? I wouldnt mind organizing and taking names.

I'm too busy at work to be the leader but I'm happy to help you if you want to be the point man Johnny. I'm def down to do it again.

I'm totally ready for another swap. Got lots of on-hand trade options from local and nearby states.
I agree its time for another swap.

I have never organized one before, but could help in whatever capacity I'm able. I might be up to organizing it even if you want me to,

I think to get things moving, we probably need to begin a new thread, and see who is in, and from there see who is most able to organize the whole deal. Can probably cut and paste from the previous swaps as far as the rules and regs.

Setting a format and oz minimum would be next.

I think there should be a no-fly-zone on any of the stuff we all have easy access to: rodenbach, duchess, Petrus, monk cafe, trimmerman, etc. special exception might be made for extremely rare versions of limited releases of the mentioned widely distributed beers.
Emphasis should be on trying to obtain local sours when possible, so as to avoid including mass-distro domestic stuff like New Belgium (even though it is really really good, and is hard to find where I live) and others such as goose island that might also be included in this group.

For me, the most desirable beers are the barrel aged domestic sour beers in the lambic style, and not the Berliner weisse style sour beers. Also, there are some saison and Belgian style beers with Brett used in secondary fermentation only. Some have a great tartness (saison Athene) while others only minimal funk (local 1 or local 2). However, some folks may have considerable access to only some styles. If we want to impose rules on what can be included and what cannot, we will inherently limit ability of many to participate.

My vote would be a mixed format:

at least one bottle of typical commercial sour beer either domestic or foreign (not including the widely distributed European types listed above, but to allow and encourage the highly sought after Cantillon, drie fontienen, fantome, Hannssen, etc for instance. )

At least one commercial bottle with Brett, either 100%, mixed primary, or secondary. Not to account for more than 50% of total oz requirement. Can be inclusive of the above sour category, if no other options exist.

Commercial Berliner weisse would be a welcomed addition, but not to account for more than 50% of the total oz requirement, and zero oz required as there are not many commercial options.

No duplicate bottles of the same stuff

At least 9 bottles in 12 oz equivalents. For oz purposes I would propose we consider the European bottles less than 12oz as being 12 oz and just say the equivalent of 9x12oz worth of sour beer meeting the requirements above? 108 oz then?

I think it would be pretty easy to do this within those limitations.

Shipping deadline November 14th such as to ensure arrival by Thanksgiving seems reasonable.

If all are in favor I would propose we move forward with sour swap #4.
Oh and last of course, homebrew sours, and perhaps exceptional non-sours are to be encouraged to be included in the box, thought do not contribute to the specified minimums.

TD

F yeah. Let's do it.

I say try not to keep it too complicated but I agree with the idea of the no fly zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree to keep it not too complicated but it needs to be VERY CLEAR what is a sour/brett funk beer as opposed to just a saison or farmhouse beer that is not sour/funky. And everyone needs to understand how to use seekabrew so people aren't getting beer they can go pick up at the local store.

Hey guys, I'm about to put my house up for sale and start moving. So, its probably not the best time for me to join in a swap. If someone else would like to run this round, go right ahead. We could do a holiday one later if you guys want and I'll happily ship some sweet sweet PNW beer.

By the way I swung by Cascade Barrel House when we were house shopping. Damn its delicious. I tried to go to the commons but apparently its only open on the third Tuesday of months that start with an A... Super limited hours...

Ok. I'll volunteer to organize. I got mad skillz y'all.

I'll post a new thread either Sunday or Monday with the details. Bear in mind, that this is a temporary fill in for the usual funkmaster IndyTrucks while he moves to a place where he will never be wanting for any more sour beer than what he can buy at the corner gas station. So jealous. I will be borrowing heavily from his past threads in the forthcoming posts.

TD

ok. I'll volunteer to organize. I got mad skillz y'all.

I'll post a new thread either sunday or monday with the details. Bear in mind, that this is a temporary fill in for the usual funkmaster two_hearted while he moves to a place where he will never be wanting for any more sour beer than what he can buy at the corner gas station. So jealous. I will be borrowing heavily from his past threads in the forthcoming posts.

Td

sent from my ipad using home brew

fyp ;)

I agree to keep it not too complicated but it needs to be VERY CLEAR what is a sour/brett funk beer as opposed to just a saison or farmhouse beer that is not sour/funky. And everyone needs to understand how to use seekabrew so people aren't getting beer they can go pick up at the local store.

Some Saision beers are indeed quite funky: Prairie, St. Somewhere, Jester King for example.
Other Saision beers: DuPont, Weyerbacher, and many others are NOT, and I agree that unless the particular Saision is well known to be funky and tart, that it should NOT be used. IF you aren't sure, then don't send it!

I'm writing up the new thread for this as we speak titled: Sour Swap #4

look for it in the next few minutes.

TD

Some Saision beers are indeed quite funky: Prairie, St. Somewhere, Jester King for example.
Other Saision beers: DuPont, Weyerbacher, and many others are NOT, and I agree that unless the particular Saision is well known to be funky and tart, that it should NOT be used. IF you aren't sure, then don't send it!

I'm writing up the new thread for this as we speak titled: Sour Swap #4

look for it in the next few minutes.

TD

I thought it was pretty clear last couple swaps.

If it has brett/lacto/pedio its a "sour" beer.
I got new belgium Snapshop wheat, so i guess you can take that how you want it.

Back