Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > So how bad is O'Doul's Amber?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default So how bad is O'Doul's Amber?

Since I'm recovering from surgery at my sister's, last night my BIL and I were gonna have a "guy's night in," since my sister had a (groan) red hat lady's event. We were got to watch the military channel instead of the shows my sister likes and my BIL acquiesces to.

A couple days before when we found out she was going to be gone, he says to me, "If you want me to pick up some fake beer, let me know." But I forgot about it til now.

So I was googling N/a beers and noticed, that except for BMC clones O'Doul's makes an amber.

One review said....

Quote:
Wow! A pleasant surprise. Caramel malts add flavor to the cardboard king. Definitely drinkable. Hopefully Amber cases will replace this brands awful O'Doul's premium on the shelves. Please pray with me..!
One website called it an Octoberfest.

I know it's not going to taste like "real" beer, especially real craft or homebrew, but I'm wondering seriously, if any of you actually have tasted it and can be critically serious and let me know what to expect.

I kinda want something fizzy and beerlike at least to tide me over til I get cleared to drink beer again, so I'd appreciate some SERIOUS imput here....I know it's a bmc and it's n/a so the tendency is to wanna joke or bash...

But I'm asking out of a sense of desperation here......And this is me, so refrain from the usual silliness, or at least some of you manage to actually answer my question, please.....

Thanks.

Revvy

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
FlatcapBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have had it before and would rather drink it than most alcoholic american lagers

tasteswise that is Good luck on the recovery

Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I didn’t even know they made an amber. In truth, I’ve never been huge on O’Doul’s. I find Clausthauler to be drinkable, but it has that sweet grainy quality that you just don’t get in regular beer. My neighbor doesn’t drink beer anymore, I couldn’t believe it either, and drinks a lot of St. Pauli Girl NA. He’s let me try one before and it wasn’t too bad. The nice thing about NA beer, I don’t feel compelled to pour it into a glass to enjoy the subtle aromas and nuances. Nope, I’m just going to go ahead and slam that sucker out of the long neck!

Honestly, I probably should keep something like that around for when I want a beer, but am doing something like operating power tools or rotating the car tires, times when you don’t really want anything clouding your judgment.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Never heard of it, but if it's not too bad I'll gladly drink one or two of those if I'm the driver. Sure it has to beat any of the other NA beers I've had.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
OldJack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It is better than the rest of the n/a's....but it still is what it is. I drink it at times I need to drive, etc. I also actually like sparkling cider. Both will bridge the gap til you have the real stuff again.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJack View Post
It is better than the rest of the n/a's....but it still is what it is. I drink it at times I need to drive, etc. I also actually like sparkling cider. Both will bridge the gap til you have the real stuff again.
Yeah we have some sparkling ciders around leftover from the holidays for the underage folks in the family.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I haven't tried them but FWIW Clausthaler and Odouls Amber are the best sellign NA's at my store.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
I haven't tried them but FWIW Clausthaler and Odouls Amber are the best sellign NA's at my store.
But Clausthaler is like a BMC lageresque beer, right?
I'm looking for an alternative to the fizzy yellows.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I know Guinness makes one that actually is fairly decent. I forget the name of it though.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 03-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
I know Guinness makes one that actually is fairly decent. I forget the name of it though.
Really?!?!??!?!?!

Quick Reply