Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Rogue Maple Bacon ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #51
curiousbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My wife and I got a bottle of this at the Rogue pearl district tap house. It was interesting. The guy at the bar said that they couldn't put it on tap because the residual bacon particulate kept clogging the tap system. They where only selling it by the bottle. Sounds a little funny now that I think about it. He sounded serious though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #52
ClarnoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Rogue didn't keg this beer. I think that the bottle is a key aspect of the whole concept and a crucial part of the collaboration. Good or bad? That's tough to judge. If it were light-struck, contaminated, or had some other technical flaw, that's pretty much the only thing that would make it bad. Does it delight your palate? Another question entirely. I thought it tasted like a bacon-maple doughnut. Four of us shared a bottle. We enjoyed it, but I wouldn't sit and drink a whole bottle by myself.

For me, it's fun. I think that's what the VooDoo beers are really about, just like some of the other extreme beers you see on the market.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #53
BarnyardFunk
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I believe I can still find this if anyone that hasn't tried it wants to make a trade

Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #54
TwoJays
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 90

This one falls into that category of either you really liked it or couldn't drink it. I was in the latter category... only Rogue I've ever dumped.

To me, the bacon was lost amidst the overabundant smoke, and the maple's aspects were a bit too medicinal. Burnt maple ashtray.

To be fair, while I like some smokey porters and stouts, extreme smoke like in a rauchbier does not appeal to me.

As someone mentioned before, though, its value as a novelty stands.

Quick Reply