The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > RIS Swap - BierMunchers Junk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Default RIS Swap - BierMunchers Junk

Here were my recipients:
Poindexter

EvilTOJ

Brewsmith

I also included a bottle of RIS in two private swaps to:

Edwort
and
niquejim

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Will do. It's chilled & ready!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Due to the fact that I was not part of the 8/8/08 swap I have already had mine from you and Ed. Sad thing is RIS is my least favorite style but I can tell when one tastes like it is should. To whoever gets his beer, if you like RIS's you're gonna love this. It is everything it should be

Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Having an 8.8.8 right now...

Aroma - Dark chocolate, some plum/raisin and a little roast

Appearance - Black and very little head. Could be the glass, but there was very little sound when I opened the bottle.

Flavor - Bittersweet, hoppy. Lots of roasty chocolate flavor. Bitterness matches with dark malt flavors.

Mouthfeel - Thick, but not cloying. Very little carbonation. Raisiny plum flavors linger in the finish.

Overall - Very nice. If the carbonation was just a little higher it would dry out the finish a little more. The malt and bitterness is nicely balanced.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 08-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I chilled the Haus Pale and FWH IPA right away and drank them several weeks ago while I was still in Texas.

As I have already expressed to BM via PM, I have to stop brewing extract.

I have made extract versions of both the Haus Pale and the FWH IPA. Both of mine were very good.

BM's stuff was so good it blew me away.

For now I am still in Alaska and the BM RIS is aging in North Carolina. I am really looking forward to trying one when I get home.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Ignore me. I'm a RIS gnome, just bumping this thread. Some people, see, have the forum to not show posts older than 1 month. This leads to them thinking that their post was deleted - when in fact, it is just hiding from them. Just like this RIS gnome is hiding from you.

missing: poindexter,eviltoj

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After one year under ideal cellar conditions, temp controlled 65-77F, no direct UV, vertical bottle, yada yada.

Appearance 2/3 Just barely carbed, but beautiful dark dark chocolate with waves and waves of chocolate malty aroma, no apparent hops.

Aroma 10/12 malty,malty, malty, zero hops and a little alcohol warmth. Appropriate for style even with out CO2 to carry it out of the glass.

Flavor 15/20 Freaking awesome, but flat. I sure wish this was carbed.

Mouthfeel3/5 Damn I wish this bottle had held carbonation. I am not taking points off for anything else, but this is a really good beer even flat.

Overall5/10. For being a flat beer this is phenomenal. I can't send it home with a score over 35, but this would be way up in the 40s I imagine with good carbonation. I am not experienced enough to know what good carb would do to the rest of the beer. There is just the tiniest bit of roastiness in the finish now and I would be afraid of losing it. I got a tiny little hiss when the cap came off and a little bit of really tiny bubbles for a few moments; I think there are plenty of head protiens in here, they looked delicious.

Bummer on the 35, but I have never scored a flat beer above 25 before.

I got one swallow left, this has been a seriously bad day but knowing I can maybe make something this good someday is a highlight. This recipe will be my first AG batch when I own a building with a dedicated below ground beer cellar, and Biermuncher's brew notes will be on the short list of those I consult.

Cheers!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Mouthfeel3/5 Damn I wish this bottle had held carbonation. I am not taking points off for anything else, but this is a really good beer even flat.
LOL. No worries on the score Poindexter. I appreciate. Indeed, it seems there were a few hit or miss bottles on carbonation. They were force carb'd and then bottled so they should have been consistent.

I'll have to crack one tonight and see how it is.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply