Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Project 10der and Mild: 10 Milds in 10 days in Month 10

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #261
Chad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Sorry for the late input. I've been buried on a project.

Flyangler's Mild

Appearance
Pours with a half inch creamy tan head that quickly settles to a light foam cap. Opaque with copper and orange highlights when held to the light.

Aroma
Seasonal allergies have limited my sense of smell, but I'm getting a bit of chocolate, some roastiness, and a very slight wintergreen spiciness I associate with EKG/Fuggles. Upon aggressive swirling I get some of the earthy spice of the English hops and a clean bready* aroma.

Flavor
Definitely in line with the aroma. Mostly dry with some roasty bitterness, kind of like black coffee. A little wintergreen from the hops. I'm not getting the cinnamon someone noted earlier, but as I said I'm a bit snuffley at the moment.

Mouthfeel
Moderately full bodied with a lingering back-of-the-palate bitterness. Very nice. Finishes mostly dry, but with a sense of "weight" as you drink it.

Overall
Very nice. A clean mild with a bit of body and a dark roasted bitterness and a hint of hop aroma and flavor. Clarity could be a little better, but we all made compromises to get these out the door. A little more residual sweetness to balance the roasted bitterness wouldn't be a bad thing.

*like dough rising.

Thanks again!
Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #262
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I remembered that I still owed BierMuncher a Review. I thought I posted it but just recently came across my notes and realized that I had not.

BierMunchers Mild

Apperarance
1/4" thick head in a pint glass after a medium vigor pour. Head persists and laces all the way through. Deep brown color with some ruby tones when held to a light.

Aroma
Clean and mildly roasty with fruity tones (plum?) at the first sniff

Flavor
Roasty sweet with some caramel notes. A little fruit at the back. Malt is the theme here, bittners exists only to balance and the beer is well balanced for the style.

Mouthfeel
Silky medium body appropriate for the style. My guess is that you mashed high where I wanted to but unfortunately I missed my temps.

Overall
A good example of a dark mild. Easy to drink and very flavorful.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #263
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I hope Death is still alive. Wait.

I'm just worried because DHL took about a bajillion times to deliver my package. Went from a 15 day old mild to a month old mild, thanks alot, the guys in Yeller. Oh well, with the news release, it looks like I have to switch to FEX or UPS anyways, no more DHL domestic shipments in a month.....

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #264
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
no more DHL domestic shipments in a month.....
Best News Yet.

DHL is the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck.....IMHO!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #265
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I liked them for a couple of very small reasons - 1, no fee for pickup on my personal (beer) shipments because we have a scheduled daily stop at work ... 2, no up front payment, i just get a bill in my email a couple weeks after shipping. That's about it.

I think FEX is the quickest without resorting to jacked-up shipping cost. But I've always been wary of them - all the horror stories about playing soccer with packages.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #266
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
...But I've always been wary of them - all the horror stories about playing soccer with packages.
Having worked for both the USPS and UPS I can say that is true of most of the shippers. Especially UPS. Man, the things I saw in the brief time I was there.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #267
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

niquejim's Fat Owl Pale (APA?)

Appearance: Copper with tint of Orange and moderate clarity. Low head.
Aroma: Malty caramel sweet with medium hop.
Flavor: Finishes with a crisp and clean bitterness with some resinous and citrusy character. A little fruity and caramel sweet.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with crispy carbonation bite.

Overall impression: This is a very enjoyable beer, but a little perplexing stylewise.
The grain profile and taste seem to fit an English Pale 8C. Getting some sweet malty and caramel flavors which don't square with an APA. Bitterness is prominent as well as hop flavor but I wasn't getting the Cascade aroma like I would expect from an APA. Carbonation was more fitting of an APA. It would be interesting to try this with an English hop. Good job. A real tasty "discussion" beer.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #268
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

alright, everybody. i screwed up. my equipment for bottling has been stuck at a friends house and i've been really in the dumps lately. after my first batch of mild got screwed, i never got around to bottling anything.

i'll make it up to my recipients in a few weeks. i'm bottling my SMaSH ale and my Banana Bread Ale (natural carb in bottle) and i will send you each a six pack.

I will also do a 10-day mild in the future with my original plan to naturally carbonate in the keg and filter. when i do, i'll send you some of those as well.

i'm an idiot. please forgive me for screwing up this swap.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #269
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
alright, everybody. i screwed up. my equipment for bottling has been stuck at a friends house and i've been really in the dumps lately. after my first batch of mild got screwed, i never got around to bottling anything.

i'll make it up to my recipients in a few weeks. i'm bottling my SMaSH ale and my Banana Bread Ale (natural carb in bottle) and i will send you each a six pack.

I will also do a 10-day mild in the future with my original plan to naturally carbonate in the keg and filter. when i do, i'll send you some of those as well.

i'm an idiot. please forgive me for screwing up this swap.
Hey, in today's environment...much can be forgiven. Course...this is coming from someone who received all of their swap beers.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #270
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I forgive ya, but you might want to save my bottle of Banana Bread for yourself ... I am very slowly adapting to the concept of banana esters, and fear your beer might be completely lost on me!!!

But srsly, it's all good. Group hug.

Quick Reply