Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Paulaner Salvator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default Paulaner Salvator

Here's the official tasting thread for the Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock.
paulaner_salvator.gif

Here's my tasting...

Appearance - Deep amber, clear, off-white rocky head, has legs that coat the glass.

Aroma - Malty, a little sweet, and a little raisin fruity

Flavor - Malty, rich, a little toasty. A slight raisin fruit flavor from the malt. Just bitter enough to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Thick, full, but dries fairly well in the finish. The flavors linger, but not heavy.

Overall - Another great example of a classic Doppelbock. I love how drinkable this beer is. It is very thick and rich, yet it dries out and is very smooth. I think I want to fast for several days and drink nothing but doppelbock.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Mods - move this to the commercial beer forum.

Thanks for the write-up! I like this beer, also, though it's been a while since I've had one. I'll post some notes the next time one hits the fridge.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like Salavator fine. In fact I like any Rheinheitsgebot dopplebock pretty much all the time and any time.

However, if I have Salvator and Optimator both in the fridge I give the Salvator to company and keep the Optimator for me. I just like the maltiness of the Optimator better.

But that is an opinion and I am not going to argue with someone who likes the Salvator better.

M2c,
P

OK, I got it. I like Optimator because it is all malty without being grainy like a Brit barley wine. (Traquir, Sisyphus). The "trouble" with Salvator is it tastes like a fruity girly man USA barley wine, that has been watered down. To me.

It isn't Paulaner's fault the US craft brewers started with Salvator, took out some water and called it a barley wine. I like Salvator a lot, it just tastes like a watered down version of a fruity girly-man USA barley wine is all. Bummer deal, but I'll suck these down like there is no tomorrow if that is what you got in your cooler.

Last edited by Poindexter; 03-26-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply