Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Ohiobrewtus' New Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Thank you for the thorough review, Evan.

Soulive - I wish I had more Hopacles to send out. I almost cried when I kicked that keg.

To answer Evan's comment about the quantity of hops - I believe that we both used the same amount (13 oz total between boil and dryhop). I front loaded mine and you made a lot of late hop additions.
Gotcha. I guess it was the IBU's that struck me.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Evan, what was your impression of the abv? Did it drink like a 9.3% beer to you?

I ask because I purposely left this version a bit malty to help mask the abv. It worked, but in retrospect I don't think that it was necessary because the hop presence is so strong that it serves the same effect.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

You know, reading Evan!'s review and mine, it's hard to believe you sent us the same beer!

I got almost no hops aroma, but plenty of malt, some sweetness, and carbonation. He got a very hoppy uncarbonated beer. Do you think the carbonation level would affect this? I mean, I'm a hop loving beer snob, and I tasted a totally different beer. Don't get me wrong- it was a GREAT beer.

I'm just wondering how we differ so vastly!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
You know, reading Evan!'s review and mine, it's hard to believe you sent us the same beer!

I got almost no hops aroma, but plenty of malt, some sweetness, and carbonation. He got a very hoppy uncarbonated beer. Do you think the carbonation level would affect this? I mean, I'm a hop loving beer snob, and I tasted a totally different beer. Don't get me wrong- it was a GREAT beer.

I'm just wondering how we differ so vastly!
I was thinking the same thing. Obviously the carbonation is going to have some impact on the aroma and palate, but I would think that it would be fairly minimal. I generally (slightly)undercarb everything that I have on tap because that's how I like my beer, so I figured that I should help out what I sent out to both of you and dropped in 2 carb tabs in each. I am unable to logically explain why there was such a vast difference in carbonation between the two.

I pulled both 22's one after the other, so I can tell you that it's the same beer.

I guess my evaluation was somewhere in between. I was a bit disappointed in the nose. I wanted it to have a more dominant hop aroma, but I only dry hopped with 1 oz of Amarillo for 7 days so next time I know to be much more agressive with the dry hop schedule.

When first poured, this beer was all hops with just a hint of maltiness and alcohol warmth in the palate. As it warmed (or maybe as my palate adjusted to the bitterness), the malt came though and balanced fairly well with the bitterness.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
I was thinking the same thing. Obviously the carbonation is going to have some impact on the aroma and palate, but I would think that it would be fairly minimal. I generally (slightly)undercarb everything that I have on tap because that's how I like my beer, so I figured that I should help out what I sent out to both of you and dropped in 2 carb tabs in each. I am unable to logically explain why there was such a vast difference in carbonation between the two.

I pulled both 22's one after the other, so I can tell you that it's the same beer.

I guess my evaluation was somewhere in between. I was a bit disappointed in the nose. I wanted it to have a more dominant hop aroma, but I only dry hopped with 1 oz of Amarillo for 7 days so next time I know to be much more agressive with the dry hop schedule.

When first poured, this beer was all hops with just a hint of maltiness and alcohol warmth in the palate. As it warmed (or maybe as my palate adjusted to the bitterness), the malt came though and balanced fairly well with the bitterness.
Well, as I told you in my review, I got the bitterness (and it was not harsh, it was good) and the malt, but almost no hops aroma and flavor. I thought was very much barleywine-ish. I wish Evan! and I could have sat down together while sampling, to see what the other person was tasting/seeing/smelling.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe it was the lack of carbonation?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply