The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Official 999 Swap Feedback Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #31
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

TexLaw's Argentine Gold

Aroma: Dry pilsner malt aroma dominates. Slightly spicy hop nose. Juicy citrus notes tending towards tangerine-grapefruit.

Appearance: Poured with a big head that pillowed up over the edge of the glass. Slightly hazy (probably due from the shake-up during shipping and me sampling it the day after it arrived, hey I'm impatient!) pale straw color. Cascade of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Very attractive. Head retention was good, but not spectacular, dissipating to a thin film on the beer over the course of the sampling.

Flavor: That crisp pilsner malt character really comes through in the flavor. It's accompanied by a firm, slightly overpowering bitterness from the hops. There is a tartness present that really goes well with the citrus aroma. Reading the recipe, I'm guessing that it is the rye that is giving it a bit of spiciness although I can't be sure, having very little experience with rye. Finishes dry with a lingering hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with good carbonation.

Overall: A crisp and refreshing beer that would be perfect for those hot summer days. I'd have preferred either a bit less bitterness or a bit more maltiness in order to balance the beer, but that's only to suit my palate. If I were to brew it, I'd probably mash a couple degrees higher in order to retain a bit more sweetness to balance the bitterness. I'm interested to know whether the hops in this batch are the Argentinian Cascades or the American Hallertau since I see on the recipe page you have used both. I've read the Argentinian Cascades can have a bit of a citronella flavor/aroma and I didn't detect that so I'm guessing this batch was hallertau. The bitterness does remind me of the bitterness I received from challenger hops in a challenger smash I did, in that the bitterness is very like the bitterness of asparagus, though this beer doesn't taste of asparagus while my challenger batch did! Thanks for including it!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #32
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

CBBaron's RyeIPA

Aroma: Rye is definitely there, slightly muted. Some other malt character, some caramel aromas. Combines nicely with citrusy, resiny, somewhat piney hops that are quite obvious.

Appearance: Medium copper in color. Nice, tight, white head when poured. Good retention. Nice lacing. Somewhat hazy, clears up somewhat as it warms.

Flavor: Hop and malt/rye flavor balance nicely, maybe slightly favoring hops which is nice. Best way to describe hops is 'juicy,' but not really overwhelmingly citrusy, quite nice. Some fruity flavors, go nicely with the malt and hops. All these flavors follow with a fairly assertive bitterness that reminds that this is indeed an IPA. Bitterness lingers but is not harsh.

Mouthfeel: Great body, many times you see IPAs with this color and body (assuming caramel malt usage) and they end up way to sweet. This beer has great body but still finishes very dry which is absolutely necessary for an IPA, IMO. Medium-high carbonation.

Over all impression: A really great IPA. I have had quite a few rye based pale ales and IPAs. I can detect the rye in this, but if I was not told there was rye in here, I might not know. In general, I think the rye was used well in combination with the hops to make a very good, highly drinkable IPA. If I had ordered this in a brewpub, I would order a second for sure.

You mind sharing the recipe?

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #33
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
CBBaron's RyeIPA
You mind sharing the recipe?

Thanks!
Thanks for feedback.

I added this recipe to database so it shows in my recipe pull down now.

Craig

Last edited by CBBaron; 05-28-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #34
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

More beers sampled from the generous contributions of swap members.

niquejim
Sweet stout
dark brown/Black in color, opaque, minimal brown head, low carbonation but perfect for style.
Strong flavors of roasted grains. drying almost astringent.
Minimal hop flavors.
Full body.
Overall I notice some astringent flavors from the roasted grains that dry the mouth. I'm not noticing much sweetness, though it is full bodied.

English IPA
Light amber color, clear with a nice head that dispates leaving a nice lace.
Moderate earthy hops and a firm bitterness.
Medium-light body. Well balanced.
This tastes more like a pale ale to me, but I may have been drinking too many hop bombs.
Overall a very good english ale that is well balanced with noticeable hops but not over powering.

MNBugeater
Wild cranberry apfelwein
Dry, tart, sparkling
Tastes of apple. Cranberry flavor is unnoticed.
I didn't notice any flaws but I am still not a fan of Apfelwein.

Craig

Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #35
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

KingBrianI's Verfluchte Gute Hefeweizen:

Nice pffft upon popping the top off this one.

Aroma - First thing to jump out at me is the bubblegum. I was hit with it as I was pouring. But it's not overpowering. Well balanced. Maybe a little spice in the nose as well. What I would expect for the style

Apperance - More like an amber than a weizen. Cloudy for sure with the yeast swirled in. Little to no head and what was there disappeared quickly. No lacing.

Flavor - Here's where the spicy/clove beats out the bubble gum. Not getting much banana, but there is a little that lingers after swallowing. Sweet, but with a dry finish. Ultimately I think it's pretty balanced. You start with one flavor and go through the gamut of flavors you would expect from a weizen.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with some creamy fullness. Maybe slightly under carbonated.

Overall - This was a nice beer and one that went well with a beautiful Portland evening. I wish I had more.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #36
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bashe's Porter:

Aroma - Malty, yeasty, maybe a little toffee like aromas coming off this. No real hop aroma. Maybe a little fruity (?)

Apperance - Deep, dark, rich brown. Little head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing.

Flavor - Definite toffee, caramel, malty flavors will balanced with a little hop bitterness. A tad sweet.

Mouthfeel - low to moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

Overall - A very nice beer. Maybe I needed to let it sit a little longer if it's bottle conditioned, but this was a fun beer. Greatly enjoyed.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:31 AM   #37
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Saccharomyces Black Ale
Nice deep mahogany color. Huge head, slightly over carbonated.
Aromas of dark fruits and roasted malts.
Nice bold ale. very malty. Dark fruits and malts.
I am really enjoying this ale. Great flavors.

Craig

Old 06-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #38
Amiaji
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Right now I'm drinking...

Brambling Cross Special Bitter by KingBrianI

Aroma: Malt and caramel notes, some fruitiness.

Appearance: Nice tan head that dissipated to 1/4". Beautiful color, very clear.

Flavor: Some maltiness, fruity but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and good carbonation.

Overall Impression: Very nice beer. Good flavor. There is a flavor there I cant quite identify, maybe the hops? Overall a great beer. Only thing I would change is maybe increase the bittering hops just a bit, but that is just my personal preference.

Last edited by Amiaji; 06-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #39
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Conpewter's Pale Ale

Here's my first review. My tastebuds have been out of wack since a bad sinus infection and a failed attempt to quit smoking lead to a slight increase, so I apologize I haven't got my reviews out sooner. I make kind of a ritual about it, so it takes a lot to get me motivated to do it. Con, here's your pale ale.

Category : 10A American Pale Ale
(I wasn't sure American or British Style, so I went with the good ol USA)

Aroma
Caramel, some earthy notes, touch of biscuit/bread, clean

Appearance
White head, low retention (could have been SWMBO washing my beer glasses again, but I rinsed good with cold water first...) Slight haze, possibly dry hopped? Nice rich, deep color.

Flavor
Caramel on first impression, slight plum flavor evident on front of pallette and finish. Seemed sweet, high FG? Hop flavor restrained, but present with an earthy overtone made me wonder variety? Fuggle?

Mouthfeel
Medium body, no astringency presend. Mild to low warming sensation, mild carbonation (would have personally liked a touch more)

Overall Impression
Smooth drinker, right up my alley. A touch of acidity could be the hops playing tricks on me. Body seemed a bit heavy for style but who cares about that. I would drink these all day!

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #40
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Conpewter's Oatmeal Stout

See above notes for disclaimer. Also, I found out tonight I can only really evaluate two beers in a night effectively, although I think this oatmeal stout might be a bit stronger than the taste lets on.

Aroma
Clean, lightly roasty, touch of burnt sugar
Appearance
Deep brown head, quickly dissapating. Short but dense foam.
Flavor
Light dryness, nutty oat presence, touch of creamy coffee flavor. No hop bitterness detected, but a touch of diacetyl in there somewhere. Almost had a lagered characteristic to it that makes me want to know what yeast was used, for my own personal gains. (insert evil laugh)

Mouthfeel

Medium to medium-full body, great creaminess. Slighty "oilyness" that coats the mouth I'm attributing to the oats, although I don't have a lot of tasting experience in this category. Carbonation was low, appropriate for stout style, and a definate warmth was felt in the cheeks! Astringency was low.
Overall Impression
Dark but lightly flavored, I felt it could use a bit more roasty/astringent character to it. Oatmeal flavor is right on! Hint of Cafe au Lait in the finish, a good drinker but a bit too mild for my tastes.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Quick Reply