Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Official 999 Swap Feedback Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Doog_Si_Reeb's Red Rye

Aroma: Lot's of sweet malt aroma mixed in with caramel, strong ovaltine/chocolate milk mix smell and fruity esters. Aroma is reminiscent of a confectionary shop with a very subtle spiciness. Low but detectable diacetyl.

Appearance: Poured vigorously to a half-inch head. Settled to a thin film in less than a minute. Dark copper color with slight haze.

Flavor: Sweet caramel and the chocolate milk powder dominate flavor. A bit of spiciness comes through either from hops or rye. Sweet finish with a slight alcohol warmth coming through as it warms up. Butterscotch-y diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to full body. Low carbonation is just right for this beer. Very nice.

Overall: Very nice ale. Slightly sweet for my taste - A bit more attenuation would be more to my taste. The chocolate milk mix flavor/aroma was interesting at first but soon became a distraction. I don't have much experience with rye beers but I detected very little rye character. It was still very enjoyable. I'd be interested in seeing the recipe to see where the ovaltine flavor is coming from. Now I'm really excited to try the saison! Thanks!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Last edited by KingBrianI; 05-16-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Default Beeriffic's Berliner Weisse

I had the advantage of Beeriffic letting me choose from his "menu" of selections and when he mentioned the Berliner Weisse, it was a no-brainer. I've not delved into the sour categories before for fear of the pucker I'd assumed would be permanently affixed to my puss.

I thought "What the hell...I'm sure I'll try it and not like and be done with the topic. Take Beeriffic's BW and I've nothing to lose".

Boy was I wrong. I'm pretty sure I have now lost many-a-future Saturday afternoons in search of recreating this sour session beer that is on one hand...very light in alcohol and pleasantly bubbly...and on the other hand complex in it's slight, delicate tartness and very fulfilling (not filling...FULfilling).

AROMA - Light and slightly citrusy. Like a twist of lemon was dropped into the secondary. An indescribable sour nature...like trying to describe the please nature of sourdough bread compared to regular bread.

APPEARANCE - Poured a very light, very bright straw color. Hazy. Slight white head that dissipated quickly...to be replace by a seemingly infinite effervescence coming from all sides of the glass. In addition to the appearance, this beer had a definite snap-crackle-pop factor on the ears. They call this the "champagne of beers" and the lively show this one was putting one was true to form.

FLAVOR - Preparing myself for a big pucker factor...I was truly surprised by the delicate flavor of this beer. My immediate reaction after the first swallow was "I have to get the SWMBO to taste this". Problem was...she was running errands and at least 15-20 minutes from returning home. Despite this, I parked the glass in the freezer in a feeble attempt to preserve the beer until she got home. That idea lasted all of 90 seconds. I sat down in the other room, away from where my daughters were bickering about what to watch on TV and decided to savor this beer and give the SWMBO a brief...debriefing when she got home. Her loss .

The taste was phenomenal. Light. Where there should be a hop bitterness, there was instead a slight tartness. Definitely a beer...but unlike anything I'd had before. Again...it is like trying to describe the complex flavor of sourdough bread to someone who has never had it.

MOUTHFEEL - Champagne like. Nuff said.

OVERALL - Well, let's just say the next day I decided to set out and replicate this beer based on some basic knowledge I dug up.

This beer...this style of beer..was an absolute surprise. I've been burying myself in aggressively hopped up beers lately while trying to brew up light cream ales and blondes for everyone else in the house for the summer months coming up. A Berliner Weisse is very likely to satisfy everyone in the house. Big on flavor....light on the tongue.

If you haven't had a Berliner Weisse yet....find one...drink one...brew many.

Well done Beeriffic and thanks for sending me on another HB quest. I need something else to chase after like I need a hole in the head.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #13
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Doog_Si_Reeb's Saison

Aroma: Bright fresh orange aroma dominates a background of white wine, pineapple and light floral aromas. No hop aroma but a very light peppery spiciness from the yeast.

Appearance: Vigorous pour resulted in a quarter to half inch head that quickly dissipated to a thin ring around the edge of the glass. Beer was a very attractive light gold color with significant haze.

Flavor: Initially dry, it develops a yeasty bitterness on the palate and finishes slightly sweet. The orange and pineapple carry over into the flavor in a very crisp, light way, and the flavor reminds me of the light yellow gummi bears. Very slight phenol spice.

Mouthfeel: A bit fuller body than I expected though not out of style. The carbonation is low, but a good cascade of bubbles rose throughout the glass.

Overall: A very nice saison. I could drink this one all summer. I can see why the style was originally brewed to quench thirst and provide energy to hard-working farmers. I would have liked a bit more of the saison yeast character, however. It seemed a bit light and I couldn't help but think that the fermentation temps might not have gotten as high as perhaps they could have. It also finished a bit sweeter than I think a saison should, though only slightly so. If it had been fermented a bit hotter, and allowed to dry out just a touch more, I think it would be world-class.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #14
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default CBBaron's Roggenbier

Aroma: malt sweetness, rye spice, clove, banana, phenols from Weizen yeast. Perfect style aroma, but would be stronger if the beer was better carbonated. 10/12

Appearance: deep copper, muddy. Low head due to low carbonation. 2/3

Flavor: malty sweetness, balanced with rye flavor and bitter rye finish. Balance definitely toward sweet. Weizen yeast character comes through but isn't overpowering. Little hop flavor. Finish is a little sweet for style. 16/20

Mouthfeel: surprisingly full bodied beer, almost chewy. Undercarbonated for style. 3/5

Overall: a very tasty beer. This is one of the only Roggenbiers I have had. It is very good. A little noble hop character and higher carbonation would be nice, and the alcohol seems a little noticeable like the gravity is a bit on the high end. Otherwise this is a flawless beer, and seems pretty close to style description overall. 7/10

38/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Jmulligans Belgian Wit

Let me start by saying, i'm by no means a judge of beer's. I have chronic allergies that render my nose nearly useless and affect my taste. I had swmbo help me as she has a good nose and loves ALL styles of beer. I will not give you a number score because i'm not qualified, and I believe people toss around numbers just to give them out. I will however be as honest as possible.

This is not a style I drink very often, so I sat down with the BJCP guidelines for this style.

Aroma Swmbo said pineapple, I thought a bit of cloves. Certainly fruity of some kind, which is apprrpiate to style. It was difficult to get a bead on the smell.

Appearance A straight down the middle pour resulted in a very small head (didn't cover the top of the beer). A nice yellow, light straw color and hazy, which is spot on.

Flavor Lemony/ pineapple with a faint spice on the back of the tongue (swmbo tasted that) with a mild tartness.

Mouthfeel Very thin, maybe more than the style suggests? I also feel it was a tad under carbed. According to style it should have a effervescent character from high carbonation, this was not present. Was it bottle conditioned or kegged?

Overall impression I actually enjoyed this beer! My only gripe would be the carbonation or lack of. It was certainly a light crisp refreshing beer, one I would enjoy on a 90F summer day. I believe you've inspired me to go outside my APA/IPA comfort zone and try this style. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks wildwest450! I definitely appreciate the feedback. I kegged the wit, and it was my first time bottling from a keg and I was switching between like 3 different kegs for the swap. I am still figuring out the whole carbonating thing, so you may find the stout to be undercarbed as well. Hopefully I can get my system dialed-in as time goes by. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #17
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Sacchromyces
T - Triple Six Tripel
Cloudy, light golden color, efferesent.
Poured with a very large head that quickly dissapated to light foam
Fruity aroma, light fruit almost citrusy.
Noticable alcohol but not overly hot.
vanilla tones, probably from the oak.
I notice some alcohol fusels, similar to what I get in my maple brown but not as strong. I think this could use some more age.
Nutty flavor, as it warms.
This is not my favorite style but I still enjoyed it. I think it would be even better with a few more months aging.

IIPA
Cloudy, light amber, poured with a couple inches of head that rapidly dissipated.
Strong hoppy aroma. Citrusy.
Citrusy hop flavors, strong bitterness. Sweet caramel flavors. Seemed to be very well balanced with the bitterness and sweetness. Good body without being cloying.
I've had a couple hop bombs that were a little more in your face with the aroma and flavor but this is right up there. The body and sweetness balances the strong bitterness nicely. I love it. Only downside was the considerable cloudiness, which I have seen on everyone of my IPAs.

Craig

Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #18
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

niquejim

IPA
Pours a medium amber, quite clear, little to no head. Appears to be lightly carbonated.
Noticable piney and earthy hops aroma.
Flavor has a nice hop forefront in a little restrained with a medium bitterness backend. Seems lacking in body and malt flavors. Leaves a dry taste in my mouth.
No major flaws but I feel it could use a little more malt background and perhaps increase the hops flavor addition. Your may be suffering from me having recently tasted Sacc's IIPA which was a considerably bigger beer.

I am looking forward to the other beers in your package because this was quite good.

Craig

Old 05-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
niquejim

IPA
Pours a medium amber, quite clear, little to no head. Appears to be lightly carbonated.
Noticable piney and earthy hops aroma.
Flavor has a nice hop forefront in a little restrained with a medium bitterness backend. Seems lacking in body and malt flavors. Leaves a dry taste in my mouth.
No major flaws but I feel it could use a little more malt background and perhaps increase the hops flavor addition. Your may be suffering from me having recently tasted Sacc's IIPA which was a considerably bigger beer.

I am looking forward to the other beers in your package because this was quite good.

Craig
Was that the English or American IPA? I carb the EIPA low because I like it that way. Although I, like jmulligan above stated, am still dialing in the carb levels while bottling.
I hope you enjoy the rest

Thanks for the feedback

Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Was that the English or American IPA? I carb the EIPA low because I like it that way. Although I, like jmulligan above stated, am still dialing in the carb levels while bottling.
I hope you enjoy the rest

Thanks for the feedback
Labeled just IPA so I assume American since another bottle is labeled EIPA.
Really enjoying this swap and I just received MNBugeater's package in the mail so I have plenty more samples to go.

Craig

Quick Reply