Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Official 999 Swap Feedback Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default Official 999 Swap Feedback Thread...

We're all receiving beers from across the country, so if you are inclined to provide some public feedback, this is the spot.

I'd suggest that at the very least, you PM your sender in an order to encourage their efforts and offer any insight to help them evolve as a brewer.

Have at it...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'll start off my reviews as it looks like I will have alot of reviewing to do.
Saccharomyces sent me a total of 12 bottles beers including 4 bottles 9-9-9.

RCS
A couple of days ago I pulled one out of the fridge labeled RCS. After opening I check against his list online to find that mean Raspberry Chocolate Stout.

The beer was a nice opaque brown/black with a light tan head that dissipated slowly leaving a nice lacing. The aroma was heavily raspberry with hints of roasted grains. Very inviting.
The taste was much the same as the aroma. The raspberry flavors dominated the classic stout flavors and I didn't really notice much chocolate. Great full bodied mouthfeel.
However I did get some off flavors in the after taste. It kind of tasted oxidized. Wish I could describe the flavor better but I have noticed similar flavors in some home brews from other brewers.

What I learned from this is that raspberry and stouts go really well together. I did not think I like a fruit beer but this beer confirmed that a raspberry stout really works.

Mild
Last night I opened a 16oz bottle (Not only did Sacc send me 12 bottles, 2 of those were 16oz bottles ) of Saccharomyces Mild. I got a short head on the beer that quickly dissipated. The color was a dark brown and appeared to be very clear. Aroma and flavor was of dark fruits with hints of roasted malts. The beer was easy to drink yet very satisfying. I really felt like I was drinking a much stronger beer. This really makes a great session beer.
I have made a couple milds myself and really enjoyed them, however this example of the style easily surpassed my own.

Thanks
Craig

Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I also benefitted from Sacc's bounty, and in fact, had the raspberry chocolate stout last night. HWMO and I really enjoyed it (and I've now been ordered to make it). We didn't know what it was at first when we opened it (I kind of like to test myself before knowing what it is), and HWMO remarked that it smelled like chocolate-covered cherries! So it made a lot of sense when we realized it was chocolate raspberry. Nice head, not OVERLY raspberryish, thought it was a good balance in a lightly roasty stout.

Dictator IIPA, good aroma, nice thick head, kind of a dark amber color. GREAT hop flavor. We're getting to be hard to please in the I(I)PA category, so I knew it was a winner when HWMO exclaimed "MMMMM, that's hoppy!"

Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
However I did get some off flavors in the after taste. It kind of tasted oxidized. Wish I could describe the flavor better but I have noticed similar flavors in some home brews from other brewers.
That batch has very slight chlorophenols which is probably what you are picking up due to use of a crappy, cheap carbon filter that didn't get all the chloramine out. I have improved my water treatment since then to eliminate all of the chloramine; I upgraded to a Pentek Chlorplus 10 filter which is rated to remove all chloramine for 1,000 gallons up to 6ppm. I also began treating my RO water with campden since it seems to have some residual chloramine.

Quote:
I have made a couple milds myself and really enjoyed them, however this example of the style easily surpassed my own.
That was Orfy's Mild, with S-04 yeast. I brewed it on 8/30/08, it has aged very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulligan View Post
... had the raspberry chocolate stout last night. HWMO and I really enjoyed it (and I've now been ordered to make it).
Definitely a popular one, it will be on regular rotation. This is the stock AHS Chocolate Raspberry Stout kit brewed on 12/27/08. From my notes:

9# 2-row
12 oz Chocolate (US)
4 oz Crystal 40L
2 oz Black Patent
2 oz Roasted Barley
Mashed 154*F 60

.75 oz Nugget 60
1 oz Cocoa, @flameout
8 oz Malto Dextrine powder @flameout

Wyeast 1028 London Ale 1500mL starter, 21 days@65*F. Aged two and a half months in the keg, added 2 oz Raspberry extract, force carbed and serving.

The patent malt has definitely smoothed out with age. Next time I brew this up I plan on doubling the amount of cocoa powder, subbing British chocolate for the US chocolate (UK is a little roastier), and dropping the patent malt.

Quote:
We're getting to be hard to please in the I(I)PA category, so I knew it was a winner when HWMO exclaimed "MMMMM, that's hoppy!"
LOL... 10 oz of hops per 5 gallons, glad you didn't miss 'em.

Quote:

Last edited by Saccharomyces; 05-07-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
That batch has very slight chlorophenols which is probably what you are picking up due to use of a crappy, cheap carbon filter that didn't get all the chloramine out. I have improved my water treatment since then to eliminate all of the chloramine; I upgraded to a Pentek Chlorplus 10 filter which is rated to remove all chloramine for 1,000 gallons up to 6ppm. I also began treating my RO water with campden since it seems to have some residual chloramine.

That was Orfy's Mild, with S-04 yeast. I brewed it on 8/30/08, it has aged very well.
Thanks for pointing out what i have been tasting. I have not noticed it in my beers, but i always use Campden tablets to treat my water before brewing. Now if i taste it again I may have some useful feedback for the brewer.

So it was raspberry extract in the RCS. That will be easier and cheaper to use when I decide to make a raspberry stout. Its good to know you can get good results with it. I had planned on using Oregon fruit puree but your results were excellent with the extract.

Craig

Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
So it was raspberry extract in the RCS. That will be easier and cheaper to use when I decide to make a raspberry stout. Its good to know you can get good results with it. I had planned on using Oregon fruit puree but your results were excellent with the extract.
Yeah I agree it works really well... I brewed this after having it a few times from other homebrewers in the Zealots homebrew club. That AHS recipe is a past award winner in the fruit beers category.

Quote:

Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Alright, I have a fridge full of beer now, let's get drinking.

CBBaron's 888 RIS, thanks for including this.

Aroma:
Dark malts, chocolate, coffee. Some fruity esters. The alcohol is also evident, but expected.

Appearance:
Jet black, no head when poured. Forms a small dark, tan head when swirled.

Flavor:
Complex malt: caramel and some dark fruit flavors. Nice amount of roast, dark chocolate flavors. Malt and roast are well balanced. Fruitiness is evident but not overwhelming. Very little hop flavor. Finishes rather bitter from both the hops and the roast. Roast lingers somewhat. The alcohol is not very evident in the flavor, but after you swallow the warmth creeps up on you.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-full bodied. Moderately low carbonation. Finishes dry but without any roast-derived astringency.

Overall Impression:
A very good RIS. One of the best homebrewed RIS I have had. The alcohol is very well restrained and is very drinkable for a big beer. My only suggestion for improvement would be to bump up the malt complexity to get some more depth to the flavor/aroma profile.

Thanks again, wish I had more!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
Stratotankard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default MMB's Pub Bitter review

MMB sent me several styles to choose from. I figured I would start off with the Pub Bitter as I was in the mood for an easy drinking beer this evening.

Aroma 9/12
Not a strong aroma. Slight malt aroma, not pronounced, but still there. Hop aroma present as well, but again somewhat subdued. Light fruitiness in the background. Well balanced, but I might try for more.

Appearance 3/3
Crystal clear, dark golden w/ copper tones, this is a beautiful beer. Small, dense, white head dissipates in under a minute.

Flavor 17/20
Nice bitterness is not overwhelming. Nicely balanced with mild malt and some fruitiness coming through in the finish. Hop flavors are present, but not in your face like American Pale. Only odd flavor i taste is a grainy aftertaste, similar to grits perhaps? I wish i could describe it better. It's not unpleasant, but not welcome either.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Nailed this style! Lightly carbonated would be undercarbed in another style, but is perfect for the bitter. Nice light body, very drinkable.

Overall 8/10
Very good beer! You've hit the style right on. Only the grainy aftertaste detracts at all. The aroma could have been a little stronger in both malt and hops to my tastes. To be honest I'm probably just nit picking to find something wrong. I could drink this beer all day and be very happy!

Total 42/50

Cheers!

Terje

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Default CBBaron's Rye IPA

Aroma: floral, cirtrusy American hops. Slight fruity esters. Small amount of
spicy malt character coming through. Hop aroma could be stronger. 8/12
Appearance: somewhat cloudy due to bottle conditioning. Bronze color is
very pleasing. Compact off-white head settled quickly but left nice lacing
on the glass. 2/3
Flavor: balanced hop bitterness and American citrus hop flavor. Small
amount of biscuit flavor evident. Large rye character present, spicy,
strong flavor. Lingering dry, bitter finish. No defects. 14/20
Mouthfeel: good body, slight alcohol warmth. 5/5
Overall: a fine example of an American IPA in the base style.
The rye character is a little too strong/distracting. A local microbrewed
commercial beer uses 18% rye in the grist which strikes a good balance for a moderately bitter IPA. Hops are somewhat harsh in character (high alpha?),
but is within style. Biscuit and hop character is reminiscent of Victory Hop Devil. To keep balance I would use some biscuit/victory malt when
reducing % of rye in the grist, which would also help with keeping
the nice color. A fine homebrew. I would buy a pint of this beer. 8/10

Overall score: 38/50

Quote:

Quick Reply