Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Ó Flannagáin's (seeFresh) Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Default Ó Flannagáin's (seeFresh) Beer

Sending out a few packages over the next week. If you guys don't mind critiquing here that'd be awesome. FYI, most will have a wierd carbonation level/head because I've been kegging and trying my best to add enough DME/water to the 6-12 that I bottle out of the batch. So, sorry about that, but hopefully the flavor/aroma's will be good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Ó Flannagáin's
American Pale Ale

Started with a very nice pop to the bottle showing proper carbonantion. The beer poured deep amber and a little too hazy for the style but in no way effected the beer. Nice thick head, not much for retention but nice lacing on top.

The aroma on this beer was a wonderful balance of just enough Cascade hops and the slightest touch of malt in the back ground.

On first sip, I tasted deep rich malt followed by an especially welcoming bittering bite. The hop flavor in here is slightly citrusy with some piney overtones, as the toastiness and the malt fades out the bittering of the hops carries all the way though out, finishing delightfully balanced. The body was perfectly to style with an elevated level of carbonation, as desired for the style.

Overall a great beer to sit down and enjoy on a Saturday afternoon. Except for the haze i would say that this is perfectly to style with the added bonus of the biscuity malt overtones in it.

Great Job on this one O Flannagain!

Cheers

Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Pumpkintastrophe II
Sampled side-by-side with my Thunderstruck brew

Appearance:

Deep amber with a touch of orange. Nice and clear. No head at all, despite my best effort to get a turbulent pour.

Aroma:

Perhaps the best part of this beer! Nice and inviting with all the makings of pumpkin pie - spices and pumpkin are quite evident. Very nice.

Taste:

Little flavor up front, not much sweetness. The pumpkin is very subtle, but the spices shine through in the aftertaste. It's a touch more bitter than I'd prefer. The biscuit malt is a nice touch. I do get just a hint of a medicinal "Band Aid" flavor on the back of my tongue, but it's not too objectionable.

Mouthfeel:

Very thin - could use a little more body. This one is a bit flat, which probably contributes to the lack of head.

Drinkability:
Smooth and easy to drink. If the carbonation were a bit higher, it'd be downright enjoyable.

Style-appropriate:

Well, it's a specialty brew, so it's right on!

Comparison:
Mine pours with a thick, persistent head, and mine is just a bit lighter in color with a little more orange tinge. The aromas are very, very similar. Thunderstruck has a little more pumpkin flavor, I think, and it's far sweeter (almost too sweet) with significantly more body. Pumpkintastrophe has a bit more biscuit flavor, and I like that. Overall, I enjoy Thunderstruck a bit more...but then again, I'm pretty biased...

Thunderstruck (left) and Pumpkintastrophe (right)

Old 10-31-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Bah! ya got a bad one yuri, sorry about that. I kegged it and it's got a great head, but trying to bottle just a few and measure out the DME has hurt quite a few of my beers carbonation/head wise. Thanks for the review, I dunno if I could've drank it flat myself.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 AM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Se La Saison

Se La Saison

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: Nice hiss with some bubbles in the neck before the pour. The head is beautiful with a tight matrix and plenty of staying power. Creamy, almost, silky. The color is yellowish orange; since this is a Saison, I purposely poured some of the bottle sediment into the glass, so it's characteristically cloudy. A little bit more orange in color than the Saison DuPont, but still within style.

Aroma: Ah, hell, here we go. What is that smell? What the f*ck is it? Can't place it. Can't place it. Okay, giving the wife a taste. POT!, she says. And she is right. A subtle herbal smell that I have only experienced once before, in Fantome's rare "Dark White" beer, and which myself and all of my friends concluded smelled like Mary. Are you kidding me? This is fantastic, O'Flan! Not just because of the subtle weed aromas, but because of the complexity. I get kumquat and lemon and a delicious richness that borders on vanilla.

Palate: And there we are again, the "herb". Sweeet. I love it. The first few sips give me some yeasty, bready character, but that fades with subsequent tastes. I get lemon, citrusy tangerine, but most of all, herbs and spices, along with a subtle earthiness that tells me, hey, I can hang with the funkiest Belgian farmhouse ales! The only fault I can see is that this is less acidic and dry than a Saison. I know this all too well because the beer that I had just before this was Saison DuPont's Avec le Bons Floeur, their xmas Saison, from 06. Okay, unfair to do that to you, I know, because DuPont makes the best Saisons on the planet, but this guy stood up VERY well.

Proximity to the Style: Everything is there except for the slight sourness and acidity that you expect from a Saison. This is a bit more creamy and sweet, and reminds me more of an unspiced wit. But otherwise, spot-effing-on.

Overall Impression: Holy crap. If the rest of your beers are half this good, I really owe you big time. One of the best homebrews I think I've ever had. Easily could be mistaken for an artisan Belgian. I'm in awe, dude. This hangs with Fantome's Dark White, which is a huge complement, because that stuff is face-rockingly good. While not as true to style as I expected, it's a near-perfect beer nonetheless. Sure, a bit of tweaking might make it more Saison-y, but I wouldn't change anything. I'm on my last few sips as I write this, and I just want to smell it more. The ganja aromas are slowly taking over as it warms up, and...I'm just very impressed. I want your recipe, because I am brewing this bastard.

SCORE: 47/50

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 AM   #6
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

No ganja in there, but not a bad idea with a saison.. it is kind of an experimental brew. I let this one hit almost 90F on it's second day of fermentation... I still have probably 1.5 gallons in my keg left ... yea, I kegged this one and can't stop drinking it.

Thanks for the review, Evan. I think you MAY like the tripel as much, but the rest will not be on the same level.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #7
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Just added the Saison to my recipes! I used a seasonal yeast that will probably be gone soon: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11080

Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
Just added the Saison to my recipes! I used a seasonal yeast that will probably be gone soon: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11080
Good looking recipe. How do you think it'd work out with the WLP550 yeast? I've got some on hand and wouldn't mind pitching it to your recipe...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive21
Good looking recipe. How do you think it'd work out with the WLP550 yeast? I've got some on hand and wouldn't mind pitching it to your recipe...
I have no idea, this was my first Saison ever. I just used the seasonal yeast when I was ordering because I didn't know how long it would be around. I suspect any quality WL or WY Saison strand is going to be nice and ad it's own characteristics. I do recommend upping the fermentation temp after 12-24 hours of pitching.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
I have no idea, this was my first Saison ever. I just used the seasonal yeast when I was ordering because I didn't know how long it would be around. I suspect any quality WL or WY Saison strand is going to be nice and ad it's own characteristics. I do recommend upping the fermentation temp after 12-24 hours of pitching.
Cool, I'll give it a shot. I can probably still get it up to the mid 80s...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Quick Reply