Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Need help on what is a good trade for Dark Lord

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default Need help on what is a good trade for Dark Lord

I managed to snag some Dark Lord this past weekend and I've already had a few requests to trade some for it. The problem is, while I'm a fan of craft beer, I've been drinking more and more home brew and so I don't really follow all the crazy/amazing/rare beers that come out. So I'm trying to figure out a fair trade. The Dark Lord were $26 each based on $15/bottle for 3 bottles and $35 tickets. That's not including travel, gas, hotel, waiting in line for 3 hours, etc. I don't want to be a jerk about it, but I know the market value is a bit higher, but I'd rather keep the beer gods happy and trade for other beer instead of selling outright.

1) He's looking for 2 bottles. Not sure if I'll do 1 or 2. He's local, so we can get the same normal stuff, but he has a decent selection of rare/older beer. Here's the list. Note that I'm am a big fan of big stouts and porters, but not barleywines and Belgian beers.

So far the ones that caught my eye are:
- the Deschutes Abyss (great ratings and I'm a fan of their beers)
- the black butte XXIV
- Bells Black Note Stout '12
- Great Lakes Barrel aged blackout stout

What else is good and what would be fair for 1 or 2 bottles of Dark Lord?

2) Second is an acquaintance that lives in Oregon. We were just in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver last summer and LA last fall, so we got some of the great beer out there that we can't get here, like Firestone Walker (brought a Parabola and Wooley Jack home), Elysian, Pliny etc. What are some good beers that would be a fair trade for 1 bottle of Dark Lord?

FYI: At this point I'm not looking to trade anymore than above as my current trades will leave me 3 bottles which is good enough for me.

Can anyone help me out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
TriageStat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 22 Posts

Beeradvocate has tons of postings right now for DL. It's your beer, trade what you want for it. You can get all that you listed pretty easily for what you have.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with above. It's your beer, you kinda have to decide. I've seen some people with dark lord asking for things that I think aren't worth their time. But its your taste buds.

It doesn't sound pike you are underselling yourself, so that's all we can really tell you.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
ZamaMan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'd gun for surly darkness, bourbon county brand stout, KBS just to name a few. Maybe also two dark lords for a Bruery black tuesday

Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
mtnagel
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I just don't want to get screwed so I was hoping someone would say you should get x, y, and z for your 1 DL. Guess that was wishful thinking.

Thanks ZamaMan for the suggestions. I do have a KBS in my fridge.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
nedvalton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is my 2 cents. DL is $15 a bottle and brewery only. Some similar price and similar availability stuff is what to go after. Ticket price and lines don't factor in IMO.
Bcbcs
Huna
Rosso
3-4 KBS, black note, ba blackout
Each could land a DL '13
And the list goes on

"i never colored in the lines, i guess thats why i dont follow recipes"

Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I witnessed a guy trade 1 DL for 2 KBS if that's any help. I have no interest in the cult that is DL. I enjoy 3F, I just don't have the time or energy for DL Day.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
kalifornsky
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have done a KBS x 2 for a dark lord trade before. It was with a friend and we opened up a couple nice beers together too.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
mtnagel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedvalton View Post
This is my 2 cents. DL is $15 a bottle and brewery only. Some similar price and similar availability stuff is what to go after. Ticket price and lines don't factor in IMO.
Bcbcs
Huna
Rosso
3-4 KBS, black note, ba blackout
Each could land a DL '13
And the list goes on
Definitely get what your saying. I don't know any of those beers besides KBS which I luckily happened into for $5 for 1 bottle - all I could get. But not everyone could get one that wanted one so I can see someone paying 3-4x that. So I think that's why DL is selling for $60 on Craigslist. Supply and demand and all. So it's not that I had to wait in lines and pay for hotel rooms, but its scarce so I don't think it would be far to trade it for a $15 bottle that someone can get off the shelf with no effort even if its something I can't get locally. IMHO. Guess we'll see what they say.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
nedvalton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Definitely get what your saying. I don't know any of those beers besides KBS which I luckily happened into for $5 for 1 bottle - all I could get. But not everyone could get one that wanted one so I can see someone paying 3-4x that. So I think that's why DL is selling for $60 on Craigslist. Supply and demand and all. So it's not that I had to wait in lines and pay for hotel rooms, but its scarce so I don't think it would be far to trade it for a $15 bottle that someone can get off the shelf with no effort even if its something I can't get locally. IMHO. Guess we'll see what they say.
Hunu is cigar city hunaphu (brewery only)
Rosso e marrone (brewery only)
Is it seriously selling for $60?
I just paid $20 for 2012 DL

"i never colored in the lines, i guess thats why i dont follow recipes"

Quick Reply