Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > March Swap ~ SuperiorBrews Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #11
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK
Im def. gonna make this for the fall. Maybe in late August. Now you say add the pumpkin to 1 gallon mash water. now is that For EXP. im mashing with 3.5 gal and I want the pumpkin. I add the pumpkin to a gallon of seperate water or just add it to the 3.5?
I used part of my calculated mash water, you can probably just toss it into the mash water and whisk it up before you add your grains. I have read spreading the pumpkin on a cookie sheet and baking for 20-30 minutes intensifies the flavors. I might add more pumpkin next year and stir it in more, It keeps floating to the top.
PS the pumpkin cooled my water and I was quite a bit low for my mash temp and had to add more hot water. I assume that was part of my low OG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Light Honey Lager

Aroma - Pils all around, a bit of dry alcohol smell

Appear - Transparent, color is copper/red

Flavor - Crisp, very refreshing, can note honey was used, but not a 'honey' flavor exactly. There is a very slight bubble gun flavor as perhaps fermentation was a bit high for the strain. Again this is very slight.

MF - Rich body for a light lager, likely due to the honey.

Overall this is a very difficult style done well. The largest flaw is the bubble gum flavor and aroma, but that is very subtle. Even subtle stuff like that comes out in such a light clean beer. I think it might be better categorized as simply a "Honey Lager", dropping the "Light" portion.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Pumpkin Ale -
Others seemed to like this one, but I honestly could not drink it. Not much aroma, body was that of water, and taste screamed "infected"! Maybe I just got a bottle with some crud in it, but this seems unlikely since your other beers were so good and clean. I really liked the color of this one, that orange/yellow hue.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Fat Tire -
What can I say here, this taste like the Fat Tire I remember, only with more body, which is something New Belgium should improve. 100% excellent job on the clone. Is this a kit or your own formulation?

Did I mention this is also just a really good beer? NB should clone your beer, that would be better, ha.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Honey Weizen -
Another Champ!

Aroma - Clove, spicey hops, slight Pils. High carbonation carries aroma well.

Appear - Almost transparent, mysterious deep copper color. Head does not lace.

Flavor - Initially malty with slight citrus note, fading to the big-time clove and grassy (in a good way). There is that honey flavor again!

MF - Thick for style, but appropriate (honey). High carbonation quickly fills the mouth with bubbles if swished around. The head is held well.

I would call this beer just about flawless, the only thing I would change would be to lower the carbonation maybe 15-20%, but that is my taste.
I drank half the 22or bottle, then saved the rest over night with a vacu-vin for the next day. Smoked a little clove cigar with it and it was like clove heaven. Amesome!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You are making some great beer man. These recipies as AG will be superb.

Prost!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #17
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Pumpkin Ale -
Others seemed to like this one, but I honestly could not drink it. Not much aroma, body was that of water, and taste screamed "infected"! Maybe I just got a bottle with some crud in it, but this seems unlikely since your other beers were so good and clean. I really liked the color of this one, that orange/yellow hue.
Bummer, must have happened in the bottle, although I really wasnt happy with that one from the start.
Quote:
Fat Tire -
What can I say here, this taste like the Fat Tire I remember, only with more body, which is something New Belgium should improve. 100% excellent job on the clone. Is this a kit or your own formulation?

Did I mention this is also just a really good beer? NB should clone your beer, that would be better, ha.
I spent a week reading recipes, and took bits and pieces from several. I have never had the original but thought that one turned out pretty good.

Quote:
Honey Weizen -
Another Champ!

Aroma - Clove, spicey hops, slight Pils. High carbonation carries aroma well.

Appear - Almost transparent, mysterious deep copper color. Head does not lace.

Flavor - Initially malty with slight citrus note, fading to the big-time clove and grassy (in a good way). There is that honey flavor again!

MF - Thick for style, but appropriate (honey). High carbonation quickly fills the mouth with bubbles if swished around. The head is held well.

I would call this beer just about flawless, the only thing I would change would be to lower the carbonation maybe 15-20%, but that is my taste.
I drank half the 22or bottle, then saved the rest over night with a vacu-vin for the next day. Smoked a little clove cigar with it and it was like clove heaven. Amesome!
I havent tried one these in a couple months now, Didnt like it at all at first, was way too yeastie and clovey for my tastes, maybe I will tap one tonight.

Quote:
You are making some great beer man. These recipies as AG will be superb.

Prost!
Thanks! I am going to try converting the Honey Lite Lager to AG and brewing it soon, the rest were all AG

Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I found the Red in back of the refrigerator, and have been sampling that one.

Appear - Deep Red, small bubbles, good head retention and lacing.

Aroma - Not much here, maybe a little malt backbone.

MF - Appropriate light body and modernate carb help emphasize bitterness and clean Irish yeast.

Taste - Initially bitter and dry, giving way to a strong crystal sweetness after a few seconds.

Overall, another good entry. My kind of session beer - good sweet malt flavor in the finish and not too watered down.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #19
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just broke out the Fat Tire clone. I like yours better! Definately more malt/ body to yours. Mine was slightly undercarbed, decent head that coulda lasted a bit longer. It is a little hazy, and a couple shades darker than how I remember the original. No off flavors, just a darn good beer. Clean, sweet finish.

[I'm back!]

Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #20
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, just had the pumpkin. Wow. Not sure I would have ever guessed that was pumpkin. It was a very different base taste, I really liked it. Golden color, good head and lacing. It was a touch "watery" or lacking body, but very tasty. Again, couldn't place the aroma. Good beer-looks very labor intensive. Not sure I could drink more than one per sitting, but a beer I really enjoyed!!

[I'm back!]

Quick Reply