Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > March Swap: clemson55's brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default March Swap: clemson55's brews

Those of you I shipped to will receive a 32oz of the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout and 2-12oz of my IIPA. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Clemson 55's brews arrived today. Got home from work and was in the mood for an IPA and since I received a IIPA I was in buisness.

Initial pour into glass I noticed what I thought was a Distinct Chill Haze which I could care less about. The beer had a nice frothy head that stood about an inch over the brew.I smelled the glass and got a very pleasent floral aroma, My first taste I thought there was no way it could be a IIPA this beer is very smooth and refreshing with low bitterness Very comparible in aroma to 2 hearted without the bitter aftertaste. I really enjoyed this beer and I will be looking foreward to getting the Recipe Pm'd to me so I can clone it! Job well done clemson this was a great brew.

Note: I am no judge but I do know what tastes good to me.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

IIPA

Aroma – Mild. When you see IIPA on the label, you expect to get blown over by the aroma. Not this one. It was nice and balanced. Not a harsh aroma at all. Faint hint of piney hops. Nice malt tones. What I didn’t realized was just how much complexity that unassuming aroma was covering up.

Appearance – Nice pour. Good carbonation. Rich cream colored head. Beer was a medium (almost chocolate tone) brown. Very hazy, but not out of the ordinary for an IIPA. Very nice lacing throughout the session.

Flavor – At first sip I thought…hmmm…maybe an IIPA right after work wasn’t the best idea. The taste was great….but very…well…uh….IIPA(ish). (Maybe I should have worked up to this one…) Well, leave it to the human body to acclimate quickly. No sooner did I set the glass down than I was thinking…”hmmm, let’s have another taste of that…and another…and another…”. This beer tasted fantastic. Once my taste buds were awake, they couldn’t get enough. Rich malty taste and a highly balanced bittering from the hops. The flavoring and aroma hops kind of maintained their distance and didn’t grandstand the beer. I knew I wanted to savor this one so I set the glass down, went in and changed out of work clothes and came back to nurture this beer. I made myself stretch this into a 30 minute beer and every sip was better than the last. As the beer warmed, the richness really came through.

Mouthfeel – Rich and chewy. Great head retention. The carbonation was perfect. No astringency. Satisfying mouthfeel.

Overall Impression – A wonderful beer. Try as I might, there was no way I was going to let that 2nd 12-ouncer sit in the fridge any longer. I had to crack it open and repeat the process. For an IIPA, this was a very “gentle” beer. No obtrusive alcohol warmth, not biting aftertaste from too much hops, and the grain bill was a very nice combination. Very well done.

Now…PM me that recipe.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher

Now…PM me that recipe.
PM? NO WAY! Post that recipe in the database for the rest of us who didn't get to sample!!!!!!

Please????

Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'll post the recipe tonight when I get home or after dinner or something. I hope I didnt mislabel calling it a IIPA and cause the wrong expectations. Its pushing 7% ABV and has 9oz of hops counting the dry hopping. Maybe its just a big IPA I dont really know.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead

Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
PM? NO WAY! Post that recipe in the database for the rest of us who didn't get to sample!!!!!!

Please????
+1! I love me some hops(even though they are an endangered species). I'll be stirring this one up soon.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson55
I'll post the recipe tonight when I get home or after dinner or something. I hope I didnt mislabel calling it a IIPA and cause the wrong expectations. Its pushing 7% ABV and has 9oz of hops counting the dry hopping. Maybe its just a big IPA I dont really know.
I wouldn't worry about what you labeled it. I know one thing....Its a damn good beer and I think that if Beirmuncher likes it and wants to brew it and yooper wants it. Well I think it could eventually have a cult following around here like Edworts Haus and apfelwein You did a great job.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thats awesome that everyone likes it so much, funny thing is I dont think its hoppy enough. I was a little disappointed the first time I drank it.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty

Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Heres the recipe for the IIPA its an extract recipe.

IIPA:
9.3lbs Gold Liquid Malt Extract
4oz Aromatic
12oz Caramel 60*L
8oz Victory
1oz Chinook
1oz Northern Brewer
3oz Cascade
2oz Centennial
1oz Liberty
1oz Perle

Steep grains for 20 min in 3gal of water, remove grains, bring to boil. Add LME and return to boil. 60min total boil time. Hop additions 1oz Chinook at 60min, 1oz Northern Brewer at 50min, 1oz Cascade at 45min, 1oz Centennial at 30min, 1oz Cascade at 20min, 1oz Centennial at 10min, 1oz Liberty at 5min. Dry Hop in secondary for 2 weeks with 1oz Cascade and 1oz Perle.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty

Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

A H A

I knew I tasted that piney chinook in there.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply