Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Long Shot Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
James Spencer of Basic Brewing radio just did an interview with the guy, a SA employee who won the employee contest, who came up with the Bosyenberry Wheat recipe. I'll summarize as best I can.

Wheat Extract
Boysenberry extract
Hefe yeast
Hops I can't remember specificly, but it was one or two small additions of (I *think*) Hallertau.
You are right on. Here is the exact recipe for Zymurgy...

From the Jan/Feb Zymurgy (recipe is weird [using tablespoons of hops instead of oz. etc] but thats how it is in the mag). Looks pretty simple too:

6.0lb United Canadian Wheat Extract (??)
1T Hallartau Hop Pellets 4.75%AA 55Min
1.5T Hallarta Hop Pellets 0 Min
2oz. Cellar Pro Boysenberry Natural Fruit Flavoring (added with corn sugar at bottling)
No mention of yeast used - Maybe a hefe yeast, but an american ale might work also. Not sure I'd want banana/clove flavor along with my boysenberry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been wanting to try these, particulalry the Old Ale, but have not seen the sixers anywhere yet.

I saw an ad for it the other night on TV. The ad not only talked about the beer, but the upcoming 2007 competition and was aimed at homebrewers who might want to enter. It showed supposed videos of various homebrewers. One was a girl and guy with a boilover on their stove.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
I've been wanting to try these, particulalry the Old Ale, but have not seen the sixers anywhere yet.

I saw an ad for it the other night on TV. The ad not only talked about the beer, but the upcoming 2007 competition and was aimed at homebrewers who might want to enter. It showed supposed videos of various homebrewers. One was a girl and guy with a boilover on their stove.
Amazingly I just saw this AD on tv for the first time also (here in PA). The boilover was hilarious (pretty bad one and the girl runs; hahahaha!), but pretty cool commercial. I need to find that variety pack though.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #14
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I picked up one of the six packs and I can't say I am overly impressed.

The Dortmunder Export was good, I would buy it again if I could get it by itself.

I was very unimpressed by the Boysenberry Wheat. A very tasteless American wheat drowned in faze boysenberry flavor. Have you every had Abita Purple Haze. Well it is like that only with a stronger and more fake berry flavoring.

I haven't had the Old Ale yet. I will have it tonight while I am grading papers .

Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #15
mexicanpizza
Recipes 

Is there a recipe out there for the Longshot Old Ale? Loved the stuff. First high gravity brew I've been able to handle.

The Dort was excellent also. The boysenberry wheat was decent, too fruity for my tastes (and somehow I'm turned off by the fact that it's an extract brew )

Old 04-30-2007, 05:46 AM   #16
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't been able to find them around where I live I asked someone that owns a bar to ask the driver for the distributor for them and get me a case if they have it and I end up with the brewmaster's collection case. Not complaining though good beers. I'm guessing its not sold in my state though or the driver would have known. I know the old ald can't be sold here b/c anything over 6% is illegal. So they probably just don't have the others either.

Quick Reply