Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Latest beers from Evan!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #21
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I think it's dried out in the bottle, to tell you the truth. Either way, what do you mean "lower the mash temp to contribute to a thicker mouthfeel"? It's been my experience that higher mash temps give you more unfermentables dextrins, which contribute to thicker mouthfeel. Wouldn't lower mash temps give you a dryer beer?
Hmmm... I thought it was the other way around. Either way, that beer would have benefited from a thicker mouthfeel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #22
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Man, you just can't seem to break that 40 mark for me, can ya? Why's it gotta be like that, yo?

Thanks a million for the critiques, kyle. It's much appreciated, really!!
I try to be as critical as I think that a BJCP judge would be. I score your beers higher than I tend to score my own, actually. A score of 37+ from me is a very good score.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 AM   #23
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Yuri's disclaimer: I'm VERY honest in reviews. Nothing I say is intended to be offensive or insulting. Like Dude, I think it's a disservice to give a patronizing or overly glowing review unless it's truly warranted.

Hop Whore IPA

Appearance:
Deep golden color with slight haze. Large, pillowy, persistent head.

Aroma:
Very nice, heavy in fresh grapefruit aroma with a sweet malt background. Hints of plum/raisin. Definitely an inviting aroma.

Flavor:
Quite bitter, even up front. Grapefruit is the overarching flavor. Just the slightest touch of sweet malt before the bitter finish. Perhaps some tannins in the finish that don't contribute well to the overall flavor. Otherwise clean with no discernible esters or other yeast flavors.

Mouthfeel:
Perfectly carbonated but way too light in body. Guessing this one over-attenuated, given the stated grain bill. More sweet/malty body would go a long way in improving this beer.

Drinkability:
This is decent beer, but it's unbalanced. It really needs more sweetness and body. The tannins are a very minor defect. Overall, a nice effort worth brewing again with a few small changes in mash temp and grain bill.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #24
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Dark Paradise Smoked Lager

Appearance:
Nice pour. Light tan 2-finger head that dissipates to a noticeable collar. Good lacing. Fairly clear, deep-stained walnut color.

Aroma:
Sweet and spicy. Cinnamon and clove with dark brown sugar. Roasted malt in the background

Flavor:
Up front, exactly as I'd expect from the aroma - the same sweet, spicy notes. The sweetness dissipates quickly to a fairly balanced, dark malt flavor with just enough hop bite. The allspice is very evident, but I get very little smoke/peat flavor. A little dry astringency in the finish. Overall, very clean, as I'd expect a lager.

Mouthfeel:
Perfectly carbonated and fairly light on the palate. Very refreshing for a dark beer with complex flavors.

Drinkability:
I like this beer. I'd have another. It's well crafted overall. I'd prefer a more assertive smoke flavor with just a touch less allspice. If I didn't know the allspice was in it, I'd be tempted to mention clove esters.

I'm wondering if you have a slight pH issue since I get a tannin-like astringency in the finish of both beers thus far.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #25
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Destroyer of Worlds IIPA
Judged according to BJCP cat. 14C.

Aroma:: Caramel malt and a tart raspberry-esque aroma are the first to jump out. Hop presence is noticeable, yet alarmingly subdued. No where near as dominant as it should be. A faint straw-like aroma is also noticeable. (7/12)

Appearance: Hazy and a hue likeable to dark copper or weathered rust. Carbonation is noticeable, but no head forms from a tilt-to-straight pour. I'd guess 20-ish SRMs which is dark for the style. (1/3).

Taste: A merry blend of hop bitterness with flavor. I'm quite surprised this isn't more pronounced in the nose. I get a puckering sensation of orange like citrus, and a subtle hint of grassiness, which isn't a detriment. The malt backbone supports the bitterness well, ever so faint touch of sweetness in the backround, but well attenuated for the starting gravity. (15/20).

Mouthfeel: As the taste notes: balanced. However, after a few sips, a mouth-coating sweetness begins to coat, which is a touch undesirable, but again, expected with such a high gravity beer. Would be improved with a creamy head to not only support the nose but also sweep the palate with the flavor better. (3/5)

Overall: Although the aroma and appearance aren't to style, the taste is what's important. Adding some head retention would also help. Delicious orangy flavor with respectable bitterness. (7/10)

(33/50)

Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #26
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post

I'm wondering if you have a slight pH issue since I get a tannin-like astringency in the finish of both beers thus far.
You're the first one who's ever mentioned it, Yuri. What kind of pH issues might be the problem? I use pH stabilizer in my mash; not sure where else I'd be picking up tannins.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #27
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

As the pH of the mash approaches (or exceeds) 6.0, tannin extraction can become a factor. pH can get high when the brew water has a high pH or when the mash gets too thin (usually during the sparge). Also, if the mash temp gets too high (above about 170°F), tannin extraction can become an issue. I was guessing that it's a pH issue since I doubt you let the temperature get out of control. It's not a huge problem, but your beers leave a bit of a dry, astringent bitterness on the back of my tongue that I can only associate with tannins. I'll let you know in a few months if I experience anything similar with the 888.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #28
Evan!

Recipes 

Like I said, I use pH stabilizer in my mash water. Not sure what else to do to regulate it.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #29
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Are you using the stabilizer in your sparge water? It's almost more critical there.

If you have a water report, there might be some water adjustments you can make with brewing salts. Otherwise, there's not much else to be done unless you start measuring the mash pH.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #30
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Are you using the stabilizer in your sparge water? It's almost more critical there.

If you have a water report, there might be some water adjustments you can make with brewing salts. Otherwise, there's not much else to be done unless you start measuring the mash pH.
Yep, in my mash and sparge water. I'm religious about temp control. No water report, though.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply