Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Latest beers from Evan!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
Tripel Rochefort

Pour/Aesthetic: Opened with a nice pffft and poured with a two finger white, creamy head that stood for at least 30 seconds before it began to fall and remained until the beer was more than half gone with great lacing along the way. A brilliant golden color (I'd guess about 4 or 5 SRM) and incredibly clear. Carbonation appears to be appropriate for the style.

Aroma: Belgian spicy notes fill the nose, but no single scent stands out so I'm guessing this is the product of a Belgian yeast strain. There is also a hint of alcohol detectable, which is appropriate for the style. The nose of the beer has my palate prepared for something similar to Victory Golden Monkey.

Palate: This beer delivers on what's in the nose. The Belgian spice continues, but it a bit more subdued. There is a mild alcohol warmth in the finish that I actually expected to be a bit stronger based solely on the aroma. Very drinkable for the (likely) high alcohol content, this beer would likely benefit from a lower mashing temperature to contribute to a thicker mouthfeel.

Proximity to Style: It's a bit thin-bodied, but other than that it's very close to the commercial examples that I have had of the style.

Overall Impression: Once again I'm impressed. Ironically enough, I just came up with a Belgian Golden Strong Ale recipe for myself today. With any luck, it will end up as wonderful as this beer did.

Score: 39/50
I think it's dried out in the bottle, to tell you the truth. Either way, what do you mean "lower the mash temp to contribute to a thicker mouthfeel"? It's been my experience that higher mash temps give you more unfermentables dextrins, which contribute to thicker mouthfeel. Wouldn't lower mash temps give you a dryer beer?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
So, yeah, like you said, you've seen my recipe. You tell me how 11oz of hops makes that beer.
I have no friggin' idea, dude. I know what you put in it, but honestly my APA is more hoppy than this was. The Basil IPA that you sent me a few months back was more hoppy than this. Could it possibly have been old hops (i know this is doubtful since you use a foodsaver)?

Like I said, it wasn't a bad beer, but the hops didn't jump out. There was some bitterness, but it was fairly mild. There were some slight hints of hops in the nose, but not much.

I plugged your recipe into my settings in Beersmith and I ended up with an estiamted OG of 1.095 (assumes 75% efficiency), 10.1 SRM and 98.8 IBU with a resultant bitterness ratio of 1.037 IBU/SG points.

FWIW, the bitterness ratios for my APA, IPA, and IIPA are 1.106, 1.647 and 3.29 respectively. This doesn't really help answer the question at hand, but I found it interesting and that may explain why some of the hop bitterness and flavor that you were looking for are not present.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
I have no friggin' idea, dude. I know what you put in it, but honestly my APA is more hoppy than this was. The Basil IPA that you sent me a few months back was more hoppy than this. Could it possibly have been old hops (i know this is doubtful since you use a foodsaver)?

Like I said, it wasn't a bad beer, but the hops didn't jump out. There was some bitterness, but it was fairly mild. There were some slight hints of hops in the nose, but not much.

I plugged your recipe into my settings in Beersmith and I ended up with an estiamted OG of 1.095 (assumes 75% efficiency), 10.1 SRM and 98.8 IBU with a resultant bitterness ratio of 1.037 IBU/SG points.

FWIW, the bitterness ratios for my APA, IPA, and IIPA are 1.106, 1.647 and 3.29 respectively. This doesn't really help answer the question at hand, but I found it interesting and that may explain why some of the hop bitterness and flavor that you were looking for are not present.
Not sure those beersmith figures actually have the rigth AA%'s for my hops...and not sure about OG figures either. ProMash says 1.087 and 123 IBU's. Hell, the 3oz of 13% Galena at 60 minutes gives you 93 units by itself.

The other thing to remember is that this beer was brewed at the beginning of December. Hop flavor/aroma was much more pronounced when I first bottled it. Now, after 5 months or so in bottle, you've gotta expect that to fall off. But I'm still perplexed about the bitterness. The 1.019 FG probably didn't help.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Not sure those beersmith figures actually have the rigth AA%'s for my hops...and not sure about OG figures either. ProMash says 1.087 and 123 IBU's. Hell, the 3oz of 13% Galena at 60 minutes gives you 93 units by itself.

The other thing to remember is that this beer was brewed at the beginning of December. Hop flavor/aroma was much more pronounced when I first bottled it. Now, after 5 months or so in bottle, you've gotta expect that to fall off. But I'm still perplexed about the bitterness. The 1.019 FG probably didn't help.
I changed the aa% based upon what you had in your recipe, but there obviously are going to be differences between software programs in hop utilization between leaf and pellets, whether they use Tinseth, etc. I wouldn't expect the numbers to be the same between beersmith and promash, but it was interesting to compare your recipe to some of mine - all using the beersmith settings.

Like I said though, still a good beer. No worries.

Did you decide anyting on NHC yet?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #15
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Sweet Baby Jesus Pale Ale

Pour/Aesthetic: Opened with a slight pffft and poured with minimal head that dissapated quickly. Copper to light brown in color, this may be a bit dark according to style guidelines. Carbonation appears to be minimal and a slight haze is present but overall it's pretty clear.

Aroma: The nose presents nice floral and citrus hop notes with a bit of a caramel maltiness and what smells like a very faint hint of alcohol warmth that seems to increase as the beer warms (this is most likely not alcohol warmth, but something else that I am unable to identify. I certainly don't think that this beer is at an abv level that would present this in the nose).

Palate: Slight hop bittereness in the front. Good medium-bodied mouthfeel appropriate to the style. Carbonation may be a bit low, but it certainly doesn't detract anything from the beer. There is a good deal of malt, but it's not overwhelming. Floral hops and the malt finish things out.

Proximity to Style: Appropriate mouthfeel, nice floral/citrus nose, carbonation a bit low, color may be a bit on the dark side.

Overall Impression: I liked this the first time that I had it, and I must say that I still do. I didn't go look at my previous review because I wanted to provide you with a new opinion. I would have no problem enjoying a few pints of this. Dry hopping would benefit this beer and provide a bit more in the nose to balance out the malt.

Score: 37/50

Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #16
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Smoked Porter

Pour/Aesthetic: Opened with a slight pffft and poured with minimal head that dissapated quickly. Almost black in color, completely opaque when held in front of my monitor. There are some solid tan-ish colored 'chunks' of material of some kind floating on the surface (pic included below).

Aroma: Beautiful roasted malt aroma with hints of smoke and chocolate. No hops are detectable over the malty base.

Palate: I was hoping that the smoke would come through in the palate, as it wasn't very distinguishable in the nose, and I was not disappointed. THe smoke is not overpowering, but it's not subtle either - it's exactly what I'd expect a smoked porter to be and about on par with the smoke level in the only commercial example that I've had - Stone's smoked porter. The body is thin for a porter, and the carbonation is probably a bit low as well but I actually believe that a good porter is one of the few styles that benefits from being undercarbonated. No hops are present in the palate.

Proximity to Style: The nose is there, the caronation may be a bit low, color is in line. There should be a faint hint of hops present. Body is thin for the style.

Overall Impression: Don't let my comments in the above section fool you. This beer has its flaws, but it's very drinkable and I enjoyed it very much- just get the stuff out of it, would ya?

Pic of debris:

Old 05-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #17
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Dark Horse Imperial Cocoa-Coffee Stout

Pour/Aesthetic: Opened with a nice pffft and poured with slight head that dissapated quickly. Almost black in color, completely opaque when held in front of my monitor.

Aroma: Cocoa dominates the nose. There are underlying notes of coffee, roasted malt and alcohol. No hops are detectable. THe alcohol aroma becomes dominant as this beer warms.

Palate: Almost like drinking cocoa laced with liquor! Very full bodied mouthfeel that slaps you upside the head with cocoa and a hint of coffee in the front, then kicks you in the ass with alcohol on the way out. There's no real hop presence, and that's ok as I don't think that this beer needs it. There's a nice roasted taste present in the finish as well.

Proximity to Style: I'm not sure what the style would be, specialty beer maybe? Since I'm not sure what style to put it under I'm not going to comment on it.

Overall Impression: Great beer, Evan! The complexity in the palate offset the high abv very nicely. If I were you I'd be brewing this one again very soon.

Score: 39/50

Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 AM   #18
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Smoked Porter

Pour/Aesthetic: Opened with a slight pffft and poured with minimal head that dissapated quickly. Almost black in color, completely opaque when held in front of my monitor. There are some solid tan-ish colored 'chunks' of material of some kind floating on the surface (pic included below).

Aroma: Beautiful roasted malt aroma with hints of smoke and chocolate. No hops are detectable over the malty base.

Palate: I was hoping that the smoke would come through in the palate, as it wasn't very distinguishable in the nose, and I was not disappointed. THe smoke is not overpowering, but it's not subtle either - it's exactly what I'd expect a smoked porter to be and about on par with the smoke level in the only commercial example that I've had - Stone's smoked porter. The body is thin for a porter, and the carbonation is probably a bit low as well but I actually believe that a good porter is one of the few styles that benefits from being undercarbonated. No hops are present in the palate.

Proximity to Style: The nose is there, the caronation may be a bit low, color is in line. There should be a faint hint of hops present. Body is thin for the style.

Overall Impression: Don't let my comments in the above section fool you. This beer has its flaws, but it's very drinkable and I enjoyed it very much- just get the stuff out of it, would ya?

Pic of debris:
ah, the "stuff". Yes, the "stuff". Which, as you may have guessed, ties directly into the undercarbonation. Those goddamned carb tabs sometimes don't completely dissolve. That's your debris. That's also why it's undercarbonated. I kegged all but 6 btls of this, and the bottles got carb tabs. The kegged version was nearly perfect...but, yeah, the "stuff". yep.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #19
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
I changed the aa% based upon what you had in your recipe, but there obviously are going to be differences between software programs in hop utilization between leaf and pellets, whether they use Tinseth, etc. I wouldn't expect the numbers to be the same between beersmith and promash, but it was interesting to compare your recipe to some of mine - all using the beersmith settings.

Like I said though, still a good beer. No worries.

Did you decide anyting on NHC yet?
No NHC for me this year, much to my dismay. The euro:dollar murdered me, y'heard. The charges are still trickling in on my credit card account. Holy fu*ckmeintheass! $1.56 for a euro.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 AM   #20
Evan!

Recipes 

Man, you just can't seem to break that 40 mark for me, can ya? Why's it gotta be like that, yo?

Thanks a million for the critiques, kyle. It's much appreciated, really!!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply