Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > I've been beating myself up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
devilishprune
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Everyone likes my beer but me.

EDIT: of course they could be jivin' me
I'm in the same boat with you.

The only person that I know that appreciates beer the same way that I do is my fiance, and she isn't going to tell me that something is bad. I wish that I had a way of knowing if my beers taste good to someone else, or if they're flawed like I think that they are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm not worried about getting honest feedback from my friends, many of whom are homebrewers.

One guy in particular (username = Boston) has been know to dump a beer out right in front of you if he doesn't like it.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Dumping beer = punch in face. Even if it tastes like excrement from a horse (add in secondary).

More importantly, how do we somehow fool ourselves into not knowing whether a beer is yours or not? I still feel like I could tell a beer was mine just from knowing what I have laying around to drink, even if I hadn't had a taste yet.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Dumping beer = punch in face. Even if it tastes like excrement from a horse (add in secondary).
Not in my world, man. If a beer tastes like ****, I won't drink it. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
More importantly, how do we somehow fool ourselves into not knowing whether a beer is yours or not? I still feel like I could tell a beer was mine just from knowing what I have laying around to drink, even if I hadn't had a taste yet.
I don't know.... maybe get together with a bunch of your brewing buddies, all bring beer, and then have a blind tasting of everything with some commercial beers tossed into the mix?

Have one person dedicated to pouring the samples in another room and then bringing them into the rest of the people?

That's basically how it happened to me. Someone else poured me a beer and brought it to me and I had no idea what it was. The low light in the garage made the beer look darker than usual, so I already had subconsciously decided that it wasn't one of mine when it was given to me.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You know, I hear you as well....I'm my own worst critic. I made an extract porter in February and wasn't really impressed with it...it wasn't *bad*, but it didn't taste all that great to me. Last week I bought a sixer of Smuttynose Robust Porter and I'm finishing the glass and I come to the realization....hey, this reminds me of MY porter!

With my coconut stout, I was a bit underwhelmed....but a buddy at work loved it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

add me to this list. i'm VERY nitpicky on my beers. i have to be careful not to jade someone's opinion before they try a beer with a "now this one has some slight off flavors" or "i like the way this one came out, except for x, y, z..."

but i agree with snowveil, when i try a commercial example of a style i'm trying to nail down, i often think mine tastes as good, sometimes better and tend to find those same little flaws in them, which makes me feel better.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I'm not worried about getting honest feedback from my friends, many of whom are homebrewers.

One guy in particular (username = Boston) has been know to dump a beer out right in front of you if he doesn't like it.
That's awesome. I can totally picture Boston doing that.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

But all that 'beating yourself up' probably contributed to your beer being so good. A sports analogy being where you learn more from a loss than from a win. Some teachers I had in school would purposely make assignments to get you 'stuck' and in trying to get 'unstuck' you actually ended up learning more.

So I brew a really ****ty batch every now and then just to keep me from getting too content...yeah, that's the ticket.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2429 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
I'm in the same boat with you.

The only person that I know that appreciates beer the same way that I do is my fiance, and she isn't going to tell me that something is bad. I wish that I had a way of knowing if my beers taste good to someone else, or if they're flawed like I think that they are.
FYI - HBT is having the second annual homebrew competition very soon. I highly recommend that you submit some beer. You will get great feedback on it, and there is always the possibility that I won't win every category...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #20
Bheher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any of you guys ever try a clone recipe and then do a blind test with the cloned beer?
I think I am going to try this sometime soon. Just so I can try and get a better opinion of my own beer.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS