New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Home Brews compared to Micro Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Genghis77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home Brews compared to Micro Brews

I turned out what I thought was a bad batch of Nut Brown Ale. As I was cold weather brewing at the end of fermentation and weather had been warm at the beginning, I used first an ale yeast, then a lager yeast. I wasn'y happy with the result and aftertaste.

Anyway, I bought some micro brews for some comparison. Among which was Full Sail Wassail, a seasonal beer. It was awful and had all the worst characteristics of my Nut Brown Ale, but worse. I ask how do they actually manage to sell this stuff? In fairness, Full Sail Amber wasn't bad, but neither was it outstanding. Killian's Irish Red was good, but like Coor's nothing special, just targeted to appease the masses.

What I have arrived at is my good brews are really outstanding compared to store bought microbrews. And my apparent failures are still better than most. Now I realize there are some very good microbrews too. But my selections at the store are limited. I have a nearby brewpub that has six excellent beers on tap or for carry out in bottles.

For those of you that think you brewed a bad batch, you might want to reconsider the results. It may not have been the beer you expected or wanted, but it may have been very palatable to others. I am expirementing with a wide range of brews hoping to find something I really like. A full bodied dark lager that is between 40 and 60 on the IBU seems a good target

I've had skunk beer and other brews obviously ruined by store shelves. But have never had such problems with home brews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

One of the big downsides to homebrewing is, your standards tend to creep higher and higher. Once you know how to make good ale , there just isn't any excuse for bad.

Full Sail Wassail is a real disappointment this year. Jubelale is ok, but not their best year. Golden Valley's TanenBomb is great, as is Pelican's Winter Fest. They aren't bottling it due to the screwy laws here, so, I'll have to work my way through the liter growler before it turns. Picked up some Bridal Vale there last week, but haven't tried it yet. Still waiting on the IPA Brut, hasn't been bottled yet. Missed the Holiday Ale fest, but I expect I'll hit a few more seasonals before year end. New Year's, Black Panther Stout arrives.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't had this year's recipe, but last year's Wassail was great! They even outdid Anchor's special ale last year. And that's saying something, because Anchor was good last year also.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Major Brands

Due pack of to poor planning, I ran out of my own home brew. So I reverted to a six pack of Michelob. I find that by chewing on some whole Willamette hops, it ain't half bad that way and actually tastes like beer rather than water. I find myself craving stronger hop flavor and aroma the longer I am into brewing.

Only bad batch I have really had was one of Gyser beer. Lost half the beer in foam straight out of the bottles. Problem was incomplete fermentation before bottling. Got to make a few mistakes to learn from experience.Hydrometer helps solve a repeat.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I know what you're talking about. I have trouble finding good commercial brews any more, let along ones I like as much as my brews. And everyone who drink my beer tends to become more and more of a hop head and get spoiled so they don't like commercial beer too.

I bet it has a lot to do with freshness/handling. A freshly baked loaf of bread is always going to be better than one from the store.

Cheers!

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 12-06-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Ha...that kills me what you guys say about Macrobrew...I'm in the same boat! I haven't bought store beer in quite some time, but I've had about a case of MGD sitting in my fridge for I don't know how long. It's there for people who don't care for my beer, but the truth of the matter is that everyone who's had my beer doesn't want MGD.

Right now I'm drinking the last bottle of the first batch I brewed, back in May. It's an IPA that's WAY over-hopped. (This is how I learned that trub definitely needs to be removed from the wort.) Still, I'm hooked on my home brew. I'd rather drink one of m HB's than just about any store-bought. I'm glad I have enough of my current Pumpkin left to last me another week or so, then my Wit is ready to rock. Right about the time I break into the Wit, my Oatty will go into bottles. And right about then, the Caramel Vanilla I'm going to brew this weekend will go to the secondary. It's the circle of life.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I still enjoy many off the shelf craft brews, the problem is the prices are killing me. I've been drinking a crapload of SNCA lately because it is relatively cheap compared to anything by Dogfish. Once the SNCA goes away, hopefully I'll have enough of a homebrew stock to hold me over for a while.

But I'm definitely starting to have a hard time handing out 9 bucks for a six pack lately. It is high quality beer, but yikes man.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
But I'm definitely starting to have a hard time handing out 9 bucks for a six pack lately. It is high quality beer, but yikes man.
$9 for a four pack is even worse...that's was DFH 90 minute and all the Young's stuff is hereabouts.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stout

I tried the Rogue Shakespeare Stout, a good one. Hope to find more of this one.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
Mishka
Recipes 

Has anyone tried to buy beer in Hawaii? $14 for a six pack of local Maui lager - ridiculous! But that's not the worst part. Local liquor stores here in colorado sell it for 6.49 The OP has a great point, though. I too have just finished a Nut Brown and was dissapointed with the result. But after trying some twisted pine brown ale I was thoroughly surprised by the comparison.

Quick Reply