New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Dude, your beers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #31
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It lives!!

Gone unsung for far too long

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #32
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
Sorry about that. On the way back from the bathroom I found a bag of limes and a bottle of tequila.
Sh!t, man, you were unconscious for 2 weeks.......are you sure it wasn't a dime bag and a bottle of tequila?
Jeff

Old 06-05-2006, 03:26 AM   #33
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONBREWIN'
Sh!t, man, you were unconscious for 2 weeks.......are you sure it wasn't a dime bag and a bottle of tequila?
Jeff
He actually surfaced briefly at Kai...looked around in a paranoid fashion...and left...

Old 06-05-2006, 05:23 AM   #34
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

yeah.. there was a 'little' downburst storm that SLAMMED two neighborhoods in north Raleigh that night I was over at Kai's. It barely made the news, but it totally f*cked up my street and the one just east of us with 60 mph winds, torrential rain, hail, etc. The only thing really about it in the news was a story about down power lines (the MAIN ones the size of your arm) across I-540 that were laying on top of two cars.

I spent three days with a chainsaw and sore muscles cutting trees up and hauling them out of yards and to the street. Oak trees 3 foot in diameter ripped right out of the ground, 2-foot wide pine trees snapped off, cars/houses got smashed, etc.

I've got some pictures on my camera, but I can't find it right now. I'll post those when I locate the digi.

I, personally, had two pine trees break off. Clean up was a cinche, though... they landed 50 foot away in the neighbors yard.

-walker

edit: add this line to make this thread found with a search for Beerswap

Old 06-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #35
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I wanted to expand on these comments some, but it's now been two weeks since I had these beers so that might be hard. Here's the exact notes I took when BOSTON came over and we sampled:

================================================== ======

Snatch Patch Ale

All: Flatter than Popeye's girlfriend, Olive Oil.

Walker: some sweetness, bitterness doesn't come out until the aftertaste. but I like the bitterness level.

Mrs. Walker: little sweet. not picking up much hops, but that might be because it is so flat.

BOSTON: if this had some bubbles, it would be really good.

That beer is 9 months old. It was one of my first AG batches that turned out, unfortunately I had carbing issues with it from the get go. When it got judged in the comp 6 months later, it got marked down for oxidation and too much bitterness, IIRC.

Quote:
Honey Wheat

All: Very light color, looks great. Nice light flavor, all agree that this would be an excellent hot weather beer.

Walker: aroma makes you want to start pulling big swigs. slight sourness, but very good. I can totally see how Kai interpreted this to be a Belgian Witt. I'll have another, please.

Mrs. Walker: expected to taste more "honey" in it, but really likes the beer.

BOSTON: Not a big wheat beer person, but this is very good. Low carbonation and hops, which is great. The hint of honey is great.
I think I hit the mark on this one, but I think I am going to try using a plain old cali ale yest instead of the WLP320 next time. That sourness almost spoiled the beer for me. I know it is supposed to be faint (for the style) but it was almost too much for me. Wonder if I could counteract that with something like brewing/winemaking acids or whatever?

Quote:

Liquid Panty Remover (aka; Coffee Toffee Milk Stout)

All: too thin. Not enough body for a stout. Great for a porter.

Walker: slight sweetness. taste of toffee right on the first few sips, but I lose it after that. Actually... I figured out that I had to inhale across the surface of the beer to pick up the toffee flavor on my tounge. If the taste was mor pronouced, it would kick some serious butt.

BOSTON: no toffee taste. very sweet.

Mrs. Walker: no tofee taste. sweetness was ok.

Genny/Ramon (Walker's sister-in-law and her boyfriend): sweet. like it a lot.
(walker's comment: you can't expect much out of Genny and Ramon on beer reviews. They drink just about anything and prefer light lagers.)
Great stuff here guys. I totally agree on the too thin part. I was just getting my wings as an AG brewer, and I thank SwAMi for pointing out that I was mashing too low because my thermometer was faulty. After that my beers starting getting better body. I wanted more coffee flavor in that beer, and it would have made it better, IMHO.

Quote:

Honey Pale Ale

Walker: F*@KING EXCELLENT. Glad we opened this one last. God DAMN this is a great beer.

Mrs Walker: little cloudy, nice sweetness and hop character. Aroma is incredible. Sweet, floral nose.

BOSTON: send more, please!
KICKASS! As I said, this one is starting to get better, but again, I am having carb issues with it. I haven't quite dialed in the beergun yet. Some bottles are hit and miss. At the competition this past weekend, the bottle they judged they said the carbonation was fine. Most of the ones I have opened are a carpenter's dream--flatter than a board. I dunno. At any rate, this one is going to hit a peak real soon. I can definitely send you guys more, I have about 18 or so left.

Really though, THANK YOU for the cool comments. I know you guys really know beer so it is nice hearing that other people like some of it too.
I will definitely get some LWPA out to you guys.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-15-2006, 09:34 PM   #36
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

Honey Pale Ale

Walker: F*@KING EXCELLENT. Glad we opened this one last. God DAMN this is a great beer.

Mrs Walker: little cloudy, nice sweetness and hop character. Aroma is incredible. Sweet, floral nose.

BOSTON: send more, please!
Wow. I had one of these last night--I found a few lost bottles that weren't filled all the way due to Beer Gun issues, and I set them aside so I wouldn't send them to you guys. I'd hate for you to get 3/4 full beers!

Anyway, this is getting even better with age. I drank one last night and it was awesome to the last drop. I might have to rebrew this. I think I have 3 more "shorties" left.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #37
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts