Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Dude, your beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dude, your beers

Well, I had to start this thread to comment on Dude's beers that we received at the WBF in Raleigh.

Tonight I had the LPR - Coffe Milk Stout:

I'm not the biggest fan of Stouts (or beers with roasted grains) in general. That's why I was very pleased that the bitterness, that is taken from the grains, is not overpowering at all. I was not able to detect the oxidation that Dude mentioned. That might be because I haven't really tastes heavily oxidized beer yet (not like DMS, which by the way I cannot detect in this beer ).

All in all, a well rounded and easy drinking beer that deserves the name Liquid Panty Remover.

But maybe someone who is more familiar with stouts and milk stouts has more comments on this beer.

Kai

Reason: undo previoius edit...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
Kaiser

Recipes 

I copied this from the Raleigh WBF thread:

"Dude, I had the beer in the bottle with the cap labeled "Hooch" tonight. What was it? It reminded me of the one Witt I tried at the festival and that's why I assume it is a Witt. Do we just post beer critique in this thread?

Assuming it is a Witt: I'm not familiar with the style and cannot comment on how close you hit a desired style. But the beer was well brewed, there were no off-flavors that I noticed. It is a little sour in the finish, but this seems to be desired and goes well with the style. Witts remind me of German Hefes without the funkiness of the yeast, but with more funk than American Hefes . All in all I liked it."

Now I know it was supposed to be an American Hefe. As I mentioned above, I had the feeling that it had a little bit more funk than I usually get from American Hefes. As Dude pointed out in some other thread, this might be due to the yeast. Maybe you should try WY1056 or WY1007. The latter is the strain from the Uerige (according to WYeast). This is the same strain that the Widmer Brother claim to have used for their Hefe. I hope that these strains will also produce less acidity.

Kai

Old 05-03-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Appreciate the feedback.

I hope swami brings back some boulevard wheat so I can cross compare my honey wheat against it. I had some today and while I contend it is a slight sour taste, I vaguely remember the widmer and boulevard being slightly sour as well.

As for the LPR--I was never fond of it to begin with.

Now I can't wait til you guys sample the Honey Pale Ale.

I'm also bummed out that you guys didn't get to try the Lake Walk. I just found out it made it to the second round of nationals!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I hope swami brings back some boulevard wheat so I can cross compare my honey wheat against it.
Ehh.....I went to pick some up for you, and it was all gone. So, I got you some Lienies Creamy Dark instead. But, I recall enough about it's flavor to rate yours against it.

On the LWPA....hot damn!!! You kinda buried that comment in there. Get out there and brag about it. When's the last round of judging?
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 05-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I hope swami brings back some boulevard wheat so I can cross compare my honey wheat against it. I had some today and while I contend it is a slight sour taste, I vaguely remember the widmer and boulevard being slightly sour as well.
I believe most Hefes (American, German and Belgian) are somewhat sour. I didn't see it as a problem in this beer, unlike in my 1st Hefe. I just wanted to point it out as a flavor.

Quote:
I just found out it made it to the second round of nationals!
Way to go. Good job!!

Kai

Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75

On the LWPA....hot damn!!! You kinda buried that comment in there. Get out there and brag about it. When's the last round of judging?
It wasn't so subtle HERE.

SWMBO actually asked if I wanted to go to the conference now. I do, but I think I'm going to pass it up. Not likely my beer is going to go much further!
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dude:

Congrats on moving to the second round! Best wishes for making it all the way to the top.

I looked last night for your recipe. Not sure the one I found is the final version. Do you have an extract/partial mash version you want to share?

No fair leaving out ingrediants like granny does at holiday get-togethers...

Old 05-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
Congrats on moving to the second round! Best wishes for making it all the way to the top.

I looked last night for your recipe. Not sure the one I found is the final version. Do you have an extract/partial mash version you want to share?

No fair leaving out ingrediants like granny does at holiday get-togethers...
Thanks.

I updated my sig with the AG version. For extract, just sub 5 lbs DME for the 2-row, and steep 1 lb toasted 2-row (spray regular uncrushed 2-row with some water and toast for 30 mins at about 275°, halfway through, stir and spray again) with the crystal malt. I steeped carapils as well but I'm not sure it does anything for the beer. I think carapils has to be mashed.

I swear this is the whole recipe. It isn't anythign special, huh? Must be my talent. Really, the toasted 2 row adds a slight depth. I'm hoping the judges on my scoresheet picked up on that. We'll see this week hopefully.

FWIW, I change the recipe (mostly the hops) slightly almost every time I brew it, but the recipe in the sig is the one that went to nationals.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Dude. I think I will bump the DME up to six pounds and see what happens.

One of these days I will get my AG setup completed. You AG guys are just having way too much fun...

Old 05-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #10
Kaiser

Recipes 

Honey Pale Ale:

Little hop aroma after opening the bottle. That must be the Cascade aroma addition. The aroma is still present in the glass.

I was not able to raise a good enough head to judge the head retention

It has a nice amber to reddish color and is very clear.

Carbonation level is as I would expect it for the style.

There is a pronounced hop flavor that dominates the taste and finishes into a soft bitterness, that doesn't linger long. It also has a slight sweetness to it which I contribute to the honey and which makes it an easy drinking beer.

I like this beer and are glad, that I have another bottle in the fridge. I have never had a honey beer before so I didn't know what to expect.

Looking at the recipe I see that it targeted 40 IBU. This shows me how different the utilization in different home brew systems is. Judging the IBUs based on my previous beers, I would put it between 25 and 30 IBUs. Even though it may have some sweetness to counteract the bitterness I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

Since I like the bitterness that you got from the Phoenix, I may want to give this one a try too.

Kai

Quick Reply