Competitions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
has anyone entered a competition yet???? i bottled a coffee porter yesterday and plan on entering it onto my first one. just happens that St. Arnold's Brewery in Houston is hosting an AHA/BJCP event that is porter only (12A and 12B). the timing for conditioning and carbonation will work just right. the cool thing is, 1st place gets to be a "brewer for a day" @ St. Arnold's. get do do all the hands on brewing, cleaning, DRINKING, plus gift certificates and some beer to take home. :D if anyone in the region is interested, it's the Big Batch Brew Bash, deadline is may 27th. entries can be sent to or dropped off at Defalco's HBS, Brew Stop HBS, Saint Arnold's Brewery (all in Houston, TX). judging is sunday, june 5 from noon to 4 @ St. Arnold's. ceramonies @ 330. not sure the web page, but you can do a search for "Big Batch Brew Bash" or "KGB brew club" and it will come up.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

I entered the Sam Adams World-wide Homebrew Comp in 1995 on a lark. I wasn't really thinking I even had a chance.

The next contest I got serious about I entered a German-style Hefe Weizen in 1997 that won 1st place in style and show.

I got to brew 250 gals at the local brew pub, the Blue Cat Pub in Rock Island, IL (free plug).

I haven't entered another one since. I really only brew for myself since I rarely ever drink American beer.

homebrewer_99 said:
I entered the Sam Adams World-wide Homebrew Comp in 1995 on a lark. I wasn't really thinking I even had a chance.

The next contest I got serious about I entered a German-style Hefe Weizen in 1997 that won 1st place in style and show.

I got to brew 250 gals at the local brew pub, the Blue Cat Pub in Rock Island, IL (free plug).

did you ruin blue cat or did they ruin you? :D
not a bad record.....
the one i'm submitting is a clone of a tx brew pub's porter that won a gold @ GABF a few years ago (recipe came from the brewer too). only difference is i added .5 lb of dark roasted coffee to the grain bill. i'd sure like to be a "brewer for a day". i assume it was worth the efforts?

Neither. Actually, I moved away to NC for a couple of years then went to Germany for another 5.

We just moved back to IL last Feb from Germany, but I don't live anywhere near the city (out in the corn fields some 30 miles from work/pubs).

well, being the board German guru, can i assume you lager beers? i have my first lager in primary right now. it's an amber cerveza (based on vienna lager as most amber mexican beers). i have it set at 52 degrees. any tips for the diacetyl rest, lager duration, temps, etc?

uh, i think my average score for the three sheets was 37. all had real good comments about the color, coffee notes, true to style, etc (Robust Porter was how I entered it).
have you brewed w/ coffee before? i learned a lesson because the coffee porter was my first try. don't put the ground coffee in w/ the grains. get fresh whole beans, grind them yourself, and steep them at the end of the boil for 15-20 minutes. don't use a dark roasted coffee (too many oils and can lead to astringency in the brew, may also affect head retention) mine was good, but could have been better........

Back