Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Commercial beers from Brewtopia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 02:20 AM   #11
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had the Siletz Spruce Ale tonight. I am trying to get better with my beer evaluation so I have used a BJCP score sheet to rate this beer. I haven't read up everything on the site yet, so my write-up is far from perfect.

Aroma 7/12

Mild malty and slightly spruce-like aroma, with some woodiness. Detected a tea-like aroma. No noticeable hops.

Appearance: 1/3

Medium brown, no head to speak of, cloudy

Flavor: 12/20

Barely noticeable spruce and malt, watery with no aftertaste. Some tree/bark-like flavor. Missing bitterness and residual sweetness.

Mouthfeel: 2.5/5

Weak carbonation, no body.

Overall impression: 6/10

Overall unimpressive. Not a bad beer per se, but not what I was expecting from the name. If spruce is intendended to be the sole source of bittering/aroma the amount needs to be increased. Carbonation needs improvement, and more maltiness would balance this beer out.

Overall score 28.5/50

Maybe I had a bad bottle. Totally different than what olllllo experienced.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply