The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap: Kaiser's brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #31
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I've tried it twice now which may not be enough datapoints for a conclusive trend, but I have really like the hop profile of both of those beers (despite other flaws) and felt like I've been unable to achieve it before with non-FWH. Most people describe it as a "smoother" hop flavor. It also helps with boilovers (to an extent).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 AM   #32
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

#25: pale lager beer. Perhaps your Helles? Poured clear, very nice carbonation and bright white head on a very pale beer. Upon taking a smell of the beer I did feel like I could detect a very yeasty odor. It seemed to persist throughout the sampling.

However, the flavor was very nice. I thought this was a very well balanced beer...the hops the perfect counterpoint to the malt, and a very clean flavor with no offensive aftertaste at all (which surprised me given that I detected yeast in the odor). It didn't have any unusual or unique flavor, but felt like a very clean and well executed lager.

I hope I'm not wrong...

Old 03-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #33
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
#25: pale lager beer. Perhaps your Helles? Poured clear, very nice carbonation and bright white head on a very pale beer. Upon taking a smell of the beer I did feel like I could detect a very yeasty odor. It seemed to persist throughout the sampling.

However, the flavor was very nice. I thought this was a very well balanced beer...the hops the perfect counterpoint to the malt, and a very clean flavor with no offensive aftertaste at all (which surprised me given that I detected yeast in the odor). It didn't have any unusual or unique flavor, but felt like a very clean and well executed lager.

I hope I'm not wrong...
Now that surprises me a lot.

This is the batch I dumped and which started the whole thing about looking into my mash pH and such. I just checked the fridge and I don't have any bottles, of the 5 I bottled just out of curiosity, left. My last notes on the beer were: "unbeatable astringency/dustyness in the finish". I currently have a Helles with the same problem sitting in my fridge and it is only drinkable for me if mixed with Sprite to make a Radler.

Either I must have a very sensitive palate to this problem, or the beer must have cured itself over time.

The yeastiness could have been autolosys given the fact that I bottled from the primary while the beer was still fermenting. Since I knew the FG of the beer I was sure that I didn't get a bottle bomb by doing this.

Kai

Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #34
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Your palate is 10x more sensitive than mine, I can guarantee you of that. I didn't detect any obvious flaws like you describe other than the yeasty aroma which I expected to result in some aftertaste, but it didn't. I found it very drinkable and never would have dumped a batch of it!

Perhaps your point on aging is pertinent and whatever off-flavors you were detecting were eventually cleaned up by the yeast over time and then they kicked the bucket.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #35
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

#26...no idea. It's malty and a dark amber and very nice. Not hoppy, which I wouldn't expect from you, and slightly estery. Carbonation was medium to medium-high and the head was quite persistent. But I don't really know what it is.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:04 AM   #36
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
#26...no idea. It's malty and a dark amber and very nice. Not hoppy, which I wouldn't expect from you, and slightly estery. Carbonation was medium to medium-high and the head was quite persistent. But I don't really know what it is.
That was my Alt. The first batch didn't come out as hoppy as I aimed for and it must have had some age on it by now. I'm surprised about the estery character, b/c I didn't get this at all.

This was actually the only beer , of the beers I sent you, that I thought was almost perfect. I believe that I only have to get the bitterness right where I want it.

Kai

Old 03-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #37
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

It was definitely a great beer. I drank it all except for a couple of sips from SWMBO who tried to get more (but I wouldn't let her). I loved the maltiness. When I say ester-y, I only mean that it was ale-like in comparison to your other beers (i.e., lagers), not that it was overly estery for an ale.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #38
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
It was definitely a great beer. I drank it all except for a couple of sips from SWMBO who tried to get more (but I wouldn't let her). I loved the maltiness. When I say ester-y, I only mean that it was ale-like in comparison to your other beers (i.e., lagers), not that it was overly estery for an ale.
I don't have a problems with some estery profile of this beer, its just that I didn't pick it up. Maybe I didn't really know what to look for in the first place.

Kai

Old 03-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #39
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

I think I've just been drinking a lot of lagers lately.

Quick Reply