Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap: Kaiser's brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #21
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Nice malt flavor. I didn't get any of the astringency or powdery taste that you had mentioned in other threads, but I did detect a very slight sourness on the back of my tongue in the aftertaste...almost impercetible.
I have to see if I can find another one of these in the fridge, but I'm surprised that you didn't get the astringency. It develops as a "dusty" perception later in the finish.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #22
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Kaiser, did you ever post a recipe for your Maibock? I came into posession of Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager and it's burning a hole in my fridge. And no, I'm not a slave to the calendar
I'll be brewing my Maibock tomorrow, but a slightly different recipe. Here is the recipe of the Maibock I brewed last year:

5.44kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.35kg Weyermann Munich I
0.23kg Weyermann Vienna
0.20kg Weyermann CaraPils
0.07kg Belgian Aromatic

Mash: (more complicated than necessary)
40*C 15min (acid rest)
55*C 30min (protein)
decoction pulled after 5 min, 10 min rest at 70 and 5 min boil
53*C 35min (maltose)
decoction pulled after 15min, 10 min rest at 70, 5 min boil
72*C 20min (dextrinization)
decoction pulles after 15min, 5 min boil
78*C mash-out

As I said the used malt doesn't need that much mash-work

Hops:
7g Perle 9% 60min
42.5g Hallertauer 3.5% 60min
14.2g Halletauer 3.5% 15min

Yeast: Wyeast 2206

This year, I'm actually using a recipe from a German homebrewing book which is very similar to the Oktoberfest and I also noticed that My Oktoberfest would make a good Maibock if it would be brewed stonger and finishes a little sweeter:

60% Weyermann Pilsner
33% Weyermann Munich I
3% Weyermann Carafoam
2% Weyermann Acid malt (you shouldn't need this for Cary water)

Mash (Hochkurz Maishverfahren*):
53*C 20min - protein
63*C 30min - Maltose
pull decoction after 30min, rest at 70 and boil for 10 min
70*C 30min - Dextrins
pull thin decoction after 30min, rest at 70 and boil for 10 min
76*C mash-out

Hops:
30g Tettnang (3.7%) 70 min
30g Halletauer (4.0%) 70 min
20g Saaz (3.8%) 5 min

Yeast: WYeast 2206. ~100 ml sediment

stats:
original extract 16.5*P, ~21 IBU

*) Hochkurz Mash is a double decoction where the first decoction is used to get from a beta amylase rest to the alpha amylase rest and the second decoction is used for mash-out. It is a good decoction mash for well modified malts, where the protein rest should be kept short.

Kai

Old 02-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #23
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Interesting. I'll post more reviews as I get to them this week.

I'm probably racking my Doppelbock today...sadly, I don't think I'll be in a position to brew anything to go on the cake

Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #24
Kaiser

Recipes 

Here are the codes for the other beers I sent you:

21: Adventius Weizendoppelbock
24: Chubby Angel Pale Ale
26: Duesseldorf style Alt

I'll let you comment on them first so I don't taint your perception.

Kai

Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #25
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
I'll send the description for the others later.
Don't bother for #21! This is your Weizenbock, and a damn fine one the more I drink it. I don't have many datapoints for Weizenbocks (only Aventinus), but I really like it. The maltiness is strong even though the spice from the yeast is really coming through. In fact, I really like the spiciness...this isn't 3068 is it? Which yeast? The sweetness from the malt really combines well with the spiciness. It has a nice warming from the alcohol as well.

So what was your problem with this one?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #26
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

#24: I might have screwed this one up. The Kaiser gave me a hint to drink this one soon which I took to mean it was a Hefeweizen and dumped the whole thing in the pint glass. I now think it was a pale ale which I poured yeast into.

In any case, it was a good beer (as all of Kai's beers are). Very light in color, very clear (until the yeast hit), and nice head (especially given that I think Kai bottles from a cobra tap!).

The pros: light color, nice maltiness, nice acidity/sourness (the good kind). I thought it was really a refreshing beer and well balanced.

The cons: This is personal, but I'd prefer more hoppiness. All the hoppiness felt concentrated in the bitterness and I didn't really get any flavor/aroma hoppiness. Then again, I know this to be the Kaiser's modus operandi and probable intent. There was also a weird taste on the back sides of my tongue for the first half of the pint, but it went away. Kind of hard to describe...it almost tasted like the beer was conditioned with lager yeast, but weirdly. Wish I was more descriptive, but that's the best I've got.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #27
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
So what was your problem with this one?
I used the WLP 351 "Bavarian Weizen" yeast from White labs for this one.

I think that the alcohol flavor is to harsh due to a large amount of fusel alchohols. The bitterness is also to harsh and I would have liked it a little sweeter. It seems to get better with age because I found it undrinkable at Thanksgiving when I planned for it to be ready.

It's definately not very close to Aventius. Aventius is a very easy drinking beer, mine is more like a sipper. The carbonation is also to high. I'll cut that down the next time. High carbonation only seems to work well for the more refreshing light wheat beers.

Kai

Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #28
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
#24: I might have screwed this one up. The Kaiser gave me a hint to drink this one soon which I took to mean it was a Hefeweizen and dumped the whole thing in the pint glass. I now think it was a pale ale which I poured yeast into.

In any case, it was a good beer (as all of Kai's beers are). Very light in color, very clear (until the yeast hit), and nice head (especially given that I think Kai bottles from a cobra tap!).

The pros: light color, nice maltiness, nice acidity/sourness (the good kind). I thought it was really a refreshing beer and well balanced.

The cons: This is personal, but I'd prefer more hoppiness. All the hoppiness felt concentrated in the bitterness and I didn't really get any flavor/aroma hoppiness. Then again, I know this to be the Kaiser's modus operandi and probable intent. There was also a weird taste on the back sides of my tongue for the first half of the pint, but it went away. Kind of hard to describe...it almost tasted like the beer was conditioned with lager yeast, but weirdly. Wish I was more descriptive, but that's the best I've got.
#24 is my house Pale Ale brewed with pilsner malt. I used a single infusion mash for this one and it had a haze that never went away for me. That's why I started to believe that Weyerman Pilsner is not suited for single infusion mashes.

This beer was bottle conditioned, like all my ales, and the flavor/aroma must have suffered from age. I bottled that beer mid November last year. Though I liked the beer I think it was far away from the first Chubby Angel I brewed and I will have to go back to the original recipe. I only used the pilsner because I didn't want to go out and buy malt.

Kai

Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #29
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
#24 is my house Pale Ale brewed with pilsner malt. I used a single infusion mash for this one and it had a haze that never went away for me. That's why I started to believe that Weyerman Pilsner is not suited for single infusion mashes.

This beer was bottle conditioned, like all my ales, and the flavor/aroma must have suffered from age. I bottled that beer mid November last year. Though I liked the beer I think it was far away from the first Chubby Angel I brewed and I will have to go back to the original recipe. I only used the pilsner because I didn't want to go out and buy malt.

Kai
Interesting...it tried to pour clear, but didn't. Maybe the Pilsner malt was what was throwing me off from just thinking "pale ale" as you could certainly tell there was a different flavor there. Have you tried FWH with your Chubby Angel? I think for your tastes you might like a FWH + bittering schedule in a PA.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #30
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Interesting...it tried to pour clear, but didn't. Maybe the Pilsner malt was what was throwing me off from just thinking "pale ale" as you could certainly tell there was a different flavor there. Have you tried FWH with your Chubby Angel? I think for your tastes you might like a FWH + bittering schedule in a PA.
No I haven't tried FWH yet. I was all excited about that technique when I started AG, but never tried it.

Kai

Quick Reply