New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap: Kaiser's brews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Was that decocted?
No, this was actually my first and only single infusion mash. Decoction would not have been to style for a pale ale.

When I designed the beer, I was inspired by Tuckerman Brewing Company's Pale Ale:

http://www.tuckermanbrewing.com/thebrews.htm

I also followed their fermentation and bottling practice:
http://www.tuckermanbrewing.com/tour/tour.htm

I'll try to write something for about using kraeusening for bottle carbonation.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had a non-skunked Chubby Angel last night and it was fantastic...I thought it was hopped really well, and quite balanced. I think the Kaiser mentioned that he dryhopped at 55F, while most of us dryhop ~65-70F, so that may have been what threw off Swami & Dude. The Kaiser and I also had a continuation of the discussion on IBU's...I would have called the hopping ~32 IBU's, while I believe he said upper 20's.

I also sampled the Maibock and Oktoberfest...both excellent! The Maibock was just right, and compared much more favorably than Carolina Brewery's Spring Bock IMO. CB's almost tastes like apple juice, while the Kaiser's has the esters more in balance for my tastes.

We also sampled the Oktoberfest as I mentioned...in theory it should age until September, I suppose, but I'm ready to go ahead and polish it off. It was probably my favorite of the set...nice maltiness. I was shocked it was only Pilsen & Munich...I would have thought there was something even maltier in there.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #13
Kaiser

Recipes 

[quote=Baron von BeeGee]I had a non-skunked Chubby Angel last night and it was fantastic...I thought it was hopped really well, and quite balanced. I think the Kaiser mentioned that he dryhopped at 55F, while most of us dryhop ~65-70F, so that may have been what threw off Swami & Dude. The Kaiser and I also had a continuation of the discussion on IBU's...I would have called the hopping ~32 IBU's, while I believe he said upper 20's.
[quote]

Looks like cold dry-hopping is the way to go. I have dry-hopped beers warm before, but can't do a side-by side comparison. According to my calculations this beer is at 25 IBU! Speaking about difference in hop utilization. I only hope that it will remain constant for my system. I would even be inclined to have a lab analys done on future beers when I have a new brewery that I may use for a very long time. This way I can see if there is a constant correction factor that I have to use for IBUs. Or I just compare to commercial exampled with known bitterness. This will be cheaper and more fun

Quote:
I also sampled the Maibock and Oktoberfest...both excellent! The Maibock was just right, and compared much more favorably than Carolina Brewery's Spring Bock IMO. CB's almost tastes like apple juice, while the Kaiser's has the esters more in balance for my tastes.
The Maibock feels a little to sweet and heavy for me. It's fermentation stalled at about 1.026 and I know that it could have gone as low as 1.020. But it could have been much worse. It's fermentation was less than optimal and dragged for a long time.

Cariolina Brewing Company ferments their lagers at 58F (!). This is really on the upper end for lager fermentation and they don't have means to to a long and cold lagering.

Quote:
We also sampled the Oktoberfest as I mentioned...in theory it should age until September, I suppose, but I'm ready to go ahead and polish it off. It was probably my favorite of the set...nice maltiness. I was shocked it was only Pilsen & Munich...I would have thought there was something even maltier in there.
Well, this may not last till Oktober since I'll be moving and I will have no way of lagering during temporary housing.

This has been my best fermented lager so far. I learned a lot from the Maibocks mistakes. This beer was tripple decocted which may have been the reason for the increased maltiness. Next time (which will be as soon as I'm in the new house since I need one for october) I plan to add some toased pilsner to the grist and see what it does to it.

Dude, Swami,

We'll be stopping at Virgina Beach on our way up to Massachusetts. I'll bring you some bottles of the Maibock and the Oktoberfest

Kai

Old 06-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
Kaiser

Recipes 

I had the Oktoberfest in a more sober state of mind and was actually a little disapointed. It seems to sweet and I will have to take a gravity reading to see if it actually hit the FG that I have gotten from the fast ferment test.

Kai

Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Maybe we can start with it at the next shindig. I really liked both of them, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have beergoggles on my taste buds.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I never got around to posting my reviews of Der Kaiser's beers. Some of this has to come from memory since I had them a while ago, but I did drink his Oktoberfest this weekend, which is what reminded me that I never posted reviews.

Pale Ale (had this BEFORE the Beer Fest)
Now... Kai has said himself that he doesn't like a lot of hop bitterness in his beers (but does like flavor and aroma). That said, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of bitterness in his PA. To me, it tasted very similar to Carolina Brewing Co's PA. It's not monumental by any means, but is definately (a) a beer I could drink several of and be pleased and (b) a beer that I would NEVER turn down if it was offered.

Double Bock (had this at the Beer Fest)
Pretty darn malty, but very good and rich flavor. It certainly made waiting in line to get in a lot more pleasant. I don't drink many lagers, but (single) Bocks are the ones that I drink most often. Kai's DB was one of the best ones I have ever had. I don't think I could drink more than 2 in one session, but... very good beer, Kai.

Oktoberfest (#1) & Oktoberfest (#2)
I had these this weekend. The house menu rolled around with Bratwurst and Weisswurst, kraut, and german potato salad, so I was obligated to open up my Oktober's and drink them with dinner. We opened both bottles and compared them side by side.

Summary: Auzgezeichnet!

I don't know what 'flaw' Der Kaiser detected in his first batch that prompted him to brew the second batch, but I couldn't detect ANYTHING wrong with the first. There was a definite difference in taste, but I could in no way say that #1 was inferior. I actually preferred the #1, SWMBO preferred #2. We were very sad that we only had two bottles. Mine was gone before the wurst were done cooking.

This was not only the best of Kaiser's beers (IMO), but it was probably one of the best lager's I have ever had, and DEFINATELY one of the best overall homebrews that I have ever had.

PERFECT beer, Kai.

Der Kaiser ist ein Lagermeister.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #17
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
What I am trying to say is you are a REALLY good brewer Kai.
I'll second that. I'm very impressed with everything I've had from The Kaiser Brewing Company.

-walker

Old 06-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #18
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Kaiser, did you ever post a recipe for your Maibock? I came into posession of Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager and it's burning a hole in my fridge. And no, I'm not a slave to the calendar

Old 02-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Beer #20: Kai, send me a key.

In any case, this is clearly a lager.

It pours incredibly clear (did you filter, or just lager a lot?). Good head on the pour, although the retention was low. I assume this was due to bottling with a cobra tap.

Very little hop aroma, and the hops came through only in the bitterness, no aroma or flavor that I could detect. Maybe ~28-32 IBU's by my standards.

Nice malt flavor. I didn't get any of the astringency or powdery taste that you had mentioned in other threads, but I did detect a very slight sourness on the back of my tongue in the aftertaste...almost impercetible.

Very clearly a lager strain. SRM maybe 3-4...quite light, and as mentioned very clear.

I give it an A. Since I knew I would be drinking significant beer afterwards, I left the rest of the beers for later review.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #20
Kaiser

Recipes 

O-****, I totally forgot to send the key:

#20 - Oktoberfest (double decoction):

This one was part 2 of a single infusion vs. double decoction experiment. The outcome of this experiment was inconclusive for me since to many things ended up being different between the two. I recently sampled another bottle:

aroma: malty
color: nice dark golden with brilliant clarity
taste: dustyness/astringency develops in the finish. There is some maltiness though I hoped for more.

This could be a nice Wiesen-style Oktoberfest if it wasn't for that damn astrigency.

#25: - Helles

My first try of a Helles and it was one of my worst beers so far. It was brewed with the cursed bag of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hops which were also used for #20. I currently suspect that these hops and maybe a high sparge pH lead to this taste. I dumped most of it after primary fermentation but bottled 4 bottles while the beer still had some fermentable sugars left (hence the higher carbonation) to see how it will turn out. It has never been lagered (stored below 45F) yet still turned out very clear.

aroma: very, very faint aroma of hops
color: yellow, light golden. very clear
taste: undrinkable due to the harsh bitterness astringency.

I'll send the description for the others later.
Kai

Quick Reply