Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap: Kaiser's brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 03:45 AM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Beerswap: Kaiser's brews

You got a date Saturday baby!!!

I just wanted to create the thread to let you know I haven't forgot about ya--I plan on sampling and writing a little critique, 'kay?

Oh yeah, PM sent, BTW....

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Kai--I got your PM too late to try these. I didn't want to cheat you by not knowing the style and then having a FUBAR palate by the time we got to them. Sam and I will get to these pretty soon.
I'm really looking forward to them.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Dammit...Kaiser, please tell me again what the numbers are on these? I have a 10 and a 12. I lost the PM you sent me.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Default #10

B here....

This is a great beer. Really clean, well balanced. No strong hop aroma, very malty. Refreshing. I could drink this all damn day. The hops come through in the finish. I'd have to say this is probably one of the best homebrews I've ever had.

I dunno what this is, but I'm sure it's a lager. Very little head. Almost along the lines of a maibock? Aroma is mainly malt and a little fruit. Finish is very clean and crisp. Extremely drinkable. I've never been a lager fan, but if I could make this I would.

Sam

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Default #12

This one's most definitely a hefe weisse! I'm gonna guess WY3068? Bigtime clove aroma, some banana. Fairly cloudy, but not terribly. I got the first glass, so Dude's was cloudier. Very nice clove flavor. Well executed hefe!

Sam

B here....great beer--AGAIN. I'd love to get specs on this beer--ferment temps, etc. I'm not familiar with the style as far as homebrewing, but I've had many german wheats, and this is right there with the best of them.

What I am trying to say is you are a REALLY good brewer Kai.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
This is a great beer. Really clean, well balanced. No strong hop aroma, very malty. Refreshing. I could drink this all damn day. The hops come through in the finish. I'd have to say this is probably one of the best homebrews I've ever had.
Thanks,

This is actually my Chubby Angel Ale. I was going for an easy drinking, mildly bittered beer with Cascade Flavor and Aroma. Someting along the lines of Sierra Nevada, w/o being a clone. But I was mostly inspried by a beer that I used to drink when I was in the White Mountains in NH.

Quote:
I dunno what this is, but I'm sure it's a lager. Very little head. Almost along the lines of a maibock? Aroma is mainly malt and a little fruit. Finish is very clean and crisp. Extremely drinkable. I've never been a lager fan, but if I could make this I would
Well I got you fooled with this one. It's really an ale that I fermented with 1056 in the upper 60s. I then put it in the secondary for 11 days at 50F to dry-hop. After that I bottled with Kraeusen. I hope that the use of actively fermenting wort (Which I kept from the brew day) for carbonation made the difference in taste at the end. It is said that that practice can scrub off-flavors from the beer as the yeast is still very active. Just like lagering does.

Kai

Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
This one's most definitely a hefe weisse! I'm gonna guess WY3068? Bigtime clove aroma, some banana. Fairly cloudy, but not terribly. I got the first glass, so Dude's was cloudier. Very nice clove flavor. Well executed hefe!

Sam

B here....great beer--AGAIN. I'd love to get specs on this beer--ferment temps, etc. I'm not familiar with the style as far as homebrewing, but I've had many german wheats, and this is right there with the best of them.

What I am trying to say is you are a REALLY good brewer Kai.
Thanks again,

I actually think that this hefe is a little strong on the clove aroma. I haven't found much banana in it, but I may not be very good in picking this aroma out. I like to contribute the stong clove aroma to the ferulic acid rest that was done. Ferulic acid is a precursor to 4VG (the clove aroma) and the more you have in your wort, the more clove you will get. My next hefe will be a single infusion, so I can taste the difference myself.

What do you think about the acidity? I acidified with some acid malt (lactic acid) and think that it is a tad to sour.

Here is the thread with the recipe. The Baron and I spend the better half of a work day discussing how to make a Weihenstephan clone:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7713

Kai

Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Here is the thread with the recipe. The Baron and I spend the better half of a work day discussing how to make a Weihenstephan clone:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7713

Kai
And my acid-rested Hefe should be drinkable by the weekend!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks,

This is actually my Chubby Angel Ale. I was going for an easy drinking, mildly bittered beer with Cascade Flavor and Aroma. Someting along the lines of Sierra Nevada, w/o being a clone. But I was mostly inspried by a beer that I used to drink when I was in the White Mountains in NH.

Well I got you fooled with this one. It's really an ale that I fermented with 1056 in the upper 60s. I then put it in the secondary for 11 days at 50F to dry-hop. After that I bottled with Kraeusen. I hope that the use of actively fermenting wort (Which I kept from the brew day) for carbonation made the difference in taste at the end. It is said that that practice can scrub off-flavors from the beer as the yeast is still very active. Just like lagering does.

Kai
Wow, no kidding fooled. I feel PWNED on this one. That was an awesome beer. I've been wanting to ferment an ale real cold to see the effects.

Was that decocted?
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Thanks,

Kai
Dang, I totally missed your replies.

You're right, you definitely fooled me. On top of it being an ale, I never would have guessed it was dry hopped.

You'll have to explain to me how to "bottle with kraeusen". Maybe a post in the "bottling/kegging" forum? Sounds interesting.
Gone unsung for far too long

Quick Reply