Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap III: Professor Frink's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 02:01 AM   #11
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Dubbel

Aroma: Banana esters up front, with low malt tones present. Sweetness evident as is a touch of spice. No caramel/toffee tones as I would expect. As the beer warmed, mild fruity aromas were given off. 7/12

Appearance: Hazy, light orange. Quite lighter in SRM than I have come to expect of a Dubbel. Pours with 1 inch head that quickly dissipates. 1/3

Taste: I needed to let this beer warm for a while before I could really judge what was going on. At first, I got a lot of phenols and banana, with a hint of plasticity. However, as it warmed, the bananas faded and more mild, sweet fruit came out. Still no caramel as I would expect, and only mild (as perceptible to me) malt tones. 13/20

Mouthfeel: Good, high carbonation level as characteristic of the Belgian styles. Full mouthfeel, but not overwhelming or coating. Not cloying and overall pleasant. Still think there should be some darker caramel notes that would, in turn, boost the mouthfeel just a tad more for the style. 3/5

Overall Impression: I really don't know. I've had what I thought were dubbels in the past and they were much different than this. More dark fruits, and caramel/toffee tones to them. This reminded me more of a toned-down trippel with its high esters/phenol profile. But perhaps I'm just wrong in my assessment. This beer is still pleasant to drink, but I won't lie...I hate bananas, so take this critique with a grain of salt. Once warmed, it was quite flavorful with the mild fruits, but I would have liked it a little more malty/caramel-ly as I've indicated. 7/10

31/50

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #12
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Barleywine

American style Barleywine

Aroma: Wonderful malty nose rises from the snifter I poured this into. Subtle hop presence. Surprisingly, no alcohol nose or fusels. (10/12)

Appearance: Opened with an explosive release of CO2. Poured with small head that quickly dissipated. Snifter is laced with a layer of bubbles around the side of the glass. Darker than I would expect. No highlights or hues when held up to the light. Almost opaque like a stout. (1/3 for the color)

Taste: Fan-freakin'-tastic. Everything I love in a barleywine. Supreme balance, I can't get over it. Malty and hoppy all in one sip. Re-affirms that this is my favourite beer style to-date. (20/freakin'20)

Mouthfeel: Again, nothing needs critique. Not to thick and not too thin, excellent attenuation. (5/5)

Overall: I'm going to stop writing and start enjoying a little more. (9/10)

45/50

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply