The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap III, jdoiv's brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ed's Haus Pale Ale

Appearance Pale copper body. Crystal clear. Nice head with somewhat large bubble matrix. Moderate lacing as the beer progressed.

Aroma I picked up on some citrus hops with this one. Kind of a lemony crisp aroma.

Flavor Again, I really picked up the citrus hops. Very clean, crisp drink. There was some moderate malty flavor that came through, but only very slightly. Good dry finish.

Mouthfeel Moderately light body. Pretty well carbonated. Kind of a bubbly, light feel.

Adherence to Style Once again, you matched the style you were shooting for very well. I'd agree with Ed that it could use just a little more early addition hops as far as the style is concerned, but I personally prefer an English pale that is along these lines.

Overall Impression This is a very smooth, drinkable beer. Thanks so much for sending this one out. I've been wanting to do this recipe, but I haven't gotten around to it for some reason. I might have to bump it up in the queue now that I've had a sample. Once again, well done.

Cheers,

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #12
jdoiv

Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you on all accounts. I let the temp on the Triple rise just a little too fast which is where the hot alcohol flavors came from. I'll make sure to try and control that a little better next time. They are starting to subside some though. Two of these in a night will really mess me up. I think I'm going to play around a little with Ed's recipe and change the hops up a little and maybe add some crystal into the recipe for a little more complexity. I'm thinking Simcoe or Amarillo if I can find them and maybe half a pound of crystal 60. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
uwjester

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Obviously I haven't done Ed's yet, but how about Styrian Goldings? I had an ale from Elysian Brewing (secret santa from Brewtopia) where they mentioned that they finish with Amarillo and Styrian Goldings. The hop flavor in that beer was awesome.

This space intentionally left blank.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
jdoiv

Recipes 

I don't think I've used Styrian Goldings yet. It sounds interesting though. Ed's recipe is real easy drinking, but I would like to spice it up a little and that may be a good choice.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tripel

I've never had a tripel before, so I don't know what to compare to.

First impression was a nice Sppfft when I popped the cap during a BBQ session last week. The pour was fantastic. Nice carbonation and head. Aromoa was a bit fruity as some esters came through. A bit spicy.

I waited to sample this beer from a recommendation form jdoiv and still at this date, it could use a bit of aging as some fusels are coming through.

It is a beautiful beer and very tasty and some more age will make it even better!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply