Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap III: Evan!'s Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome...glad they got there safe and sound.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts

Default Li'l Brudder's Golden Lager

First off I should mention the surprise when I opened the package. There was a nice little note from the brewery that explained which each beer was, and about the beer. I thought that was a nice touch.

I was going to wait a couple of days to try one, but after 5 hours my curiosity got the better of me.

Since Evan packed some varieties I'm not familiar with, I decided something with "Golden Lager" in the name would be safest beer to start with.

The beer sounded nice when opening, and poured nice with not too much head. It was a nice golden color, a little hazy but I suspect it might not have been so hazy had I not been so impatient to try it.

Took a nice long pull and found the beer nice and smooth, with a slight lingering malt taste. Very tasty beer, very approachable for someone who's not used to homebrew. If you were looking for something that tastes great to serve your BMC drinking friends that you could still enjoy yourself, this would likely be a good choice of something to brew.

A very nice beer, and I look forward to trying the recipe.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1
First off I should mention the surprise when I opened the package. There was a nice little note from the brewery that explained which each beer was, and about the beer. I thought that was a nice touch.

I was going to wait a couple of days to try one, but after 5 hours my curiosity got the better of me.

Since Evan packed some varieties I'm not familiar with, I decided something with "Golden Lager" in the name would be safest beer to start with.

The beer sounded nice when opening, and poured nice with not too much head. It was a nice golden color, a little hazy but I suspect it might not have been so hazy had I not been so impatient to try it.

Took a nice long pull and found the beer nice and smooth, with a slight lingering malt taste. Very tasty beer, very approachable for someone who's not used to homebrew. If you were looking for something that tastes great to serve your BMC drinking friends that you could still enjoy yourself, this would likely be a good choice of something to brew.

A very nice beer, and I look forward to trying the recipe.
Thanks for the review! Yeah, you know, so many of my beers are towards the upper limits of their respective BJCP guidelines---many often go past those limits, in fact. So what I was trying to do with this beer is craft a balanced, malty lager without too much flash or fanfare, and I really have ended up liking this batch a lot. It's less than 5% ABV, which I really enjoy. The decoction mash was a bit of PITA, but I think it really smoothed out the finished product.

So, again, thanks! The recipe's in my pulldown if you want it.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #14
Mutilated1

Recipes 

Trying your "Sweet Baby Jesus" now.

Pretty nice beer, even though I think it would be better with a bit more of a hoppiness to it. The malt comes through though, but it doesn't overwhelm... Strangely the maltiness in this one seems like its more malty than the Lager I tried last night - that was suprising wasn't really expecting that.

Didn't seem very clear if that makes a difference. To me it doesn't matter that much, it tastes good thats all that counts.

Nothing I could suggest to improve it other than some more bitter/hops might make it a bit better, but I guess that just comes down to personal preference and taste.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM   #15
Evan!

Recipes 

I couldn't agree more. This is my standard Pale Ale recipe (maris otter, victory, special B), but instead of the typical cascade fr my flavor/aroma, I tried the Sorachi Ace hops this time. What I realized is that my late additions weren't enough. I had 1/4oz additions at 10, 8, 5 and 2 mins., and at flameout. I got that grapefruit flavor, but it's too subtle for me. Those 1/4oz additions should have each been at least 1/2 or 1oz each. But either way, I still like this brew. Next time...lots more late hops. Actually, I'm brewing an IIPA tomorrow with a total of 12.5oz of hops in it. You think I'm compensating for the Sweet Baby Jesus a little?

Thanks again for the review...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 12-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 302 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 47

OK,
My turn. Just home from work and I am craving a beer. I'll start with Li'l Brudder's Golden Lager.

Aroma
Light hop background. Restrained floral and citrus notes, nothing overwhelming. Very nice. 10/12

Appearance
Light pop on opening, vigourous pour produced a light head that quickly faded. Head has nice appropriate color. Nice lacing on glass which is still hanging on 10 minutes later Did get a couple of solid floaters mid pour but it is homebrew and it did just go cross country a week ago. Hazy. 1.5/3

Flavor
Nice malt prominence, but nothing overwhelming. A bit of astringency on the follow thru. Bitterness is appropriate to style. I'd like to see just a touch of late hop here, I think it would be a nice addition. If I had to pick a single word to describe this brew I'd choose 'Mellow.' 14/20

Mouthfeel
Nice carbonation. Not a big mouthfull of beer by any stretch, but that's not what you were brewing. I'd say this is spot on. 5/5

Overall.
Very nice beer. I could sit and drink lots and lots of this in the right setting. This would be a fantastic beer to have sitting in a cooler next to you while you hope the fish don't disturb you. It suffers a bit next to my plate of cold leftover lamb, but that was a dinner planning error on my part. 8/10

38.5 /50 Well done.
Paul

Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #17
paulthenurse

Recipes 

I'm putting the Mephistopholes Imperial Stout and the Burninator 06 in a cold corner. That way they should be right when I get home tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #18
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Mephistopholes...

Enough said!

Aroma.
Disappointed on opening, no pop at all. I actually thought we had a failed cap. A vigorous poured yielded a thin layer of foam that faded quickly. An aroma of essence of prunes with whiffs of chocolate and cherry are in the glass. It's only too bad the carbonation wasn't enough to lift it out of the glass. I get a hint of alcohol in the vapors. I get a strong malt background here.

Appearance
Black ink. This is a dark, dark beer

Flavor
Sweet malt blended with a nice bitterness. Wow, what a balance! The alcohol is a definite presence.

Mouthfeel.
You don't drink this beer, you cut into it with a fork and a really sharp knife.

Overall.
This is almost enough to make me consider changing my mind about IS's. The style has never been a particular favorite of mine, it just doesn't do it for me. That said, I recognize a good one when I drink it and this is a good one. Nicely done. I won't grade it, I don't feel that it's fair for me to grade a style of beer that I just don't care for. Too bad you picked this one to send me, someone else missed a real treat.
PTN

Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
Mutilated1

Recipes 

I tried the "Stunkelweisen" a few days ago, but after I drank it I had a few more and didn't get around to posting a review of it.

First of all, I've never heard of a beer called a "Stunkelweisen" before and google was not at all helpful in determing what it was so I was a bit apprehensive about trying it. I think the sheet of paper Evan included with the beer mentioned that you could pour gently for cleaner flavor or rouse the yeast for more of a Hefe type estery character.

I decided to go for the pour gently route since I'm not very fond of yeast in my beer.

The beer popped open nicely, and poured a rich brown brew with a nice head and slight scent of something that reminded me of honey. Absolutely a beautiful beer to look at - nice and clear, rich dark brown color closer to the dark side than to the red side of brown. Nice head on the beer. There was a slight sourness to the honey flavor and a complexity to the malt thats really hard to describe, definitely unique compared to any of the beers that I've tried so far with a very pleasent mouth feel. There is a lot of different flavors in this beer, sweet and sour, bitter and malty - yet no flavor overwhelms, and there is plenty of room to enjoy them all.

Definitely a beer that I enjoyed and would like to experience again.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I think it's a play on words for Dunkelweizen. Probably made extra stanky I'm sure Evan will correct me on that.

Quick Reply