New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap III: Cheesefood's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Beerswap III: Cheesefood's Beers

I hope you still find a way to read this Cheese.

I thought I was opening the hefeweizen, but it looks like it was the barleywine instead.

Aroma - Sweet and malty, not much in the way of hops present. A little solventy, alcohol in the nose. 7/12

Appearance - A rich amber, dark caramel color. Very little head 2/3

Flavor - Big malt flavor and sweet, but not cloying. Bitterness could be a little stronger to balance it out a little more. Not much hop flavor present. 10/20

Mouthfeel - Not too thick. The carbonation is very light, which to me is good for this style. The malt comes throught without a big CO2 bite. 4/5

Overall - I think the main thing this barleywine needs is just more time. It's a little rough around the edges, but time shoud smooth it out. For my taste it could use more hops all around, bitter, flavor and aroma. The grain bill seems pretty close, the malt flavors are great and nothing really sticks out as being out of place. The alcohol cuts through a little and is pereceptable in the flavor and aroma. Overall, not bad. A little tweaking and you'll have the makings of a great barleywine 5/10

Total: 28/50

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Last edited by Brewsmith; 12-20-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply