Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap II: Walker-san's brews...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 AM   #11
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kaduva IPA

Malty. That was my first thought. You said in your comments that you used more malt than usual in this batch but I still wasn't exactly ready for it. It's pretty clear and darker than I expected but I guess that's due to the additional malt. I would like to try another one of your versions of this to compare the two. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad beer, it's just not my idea of an IPA.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2006, 03:15 AM   #12
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default Walker's IPA:

First of all, there is no amount of hops that would be sufficient to completely offset the sweetness of Patriots 38, Bengals 13...

First thing I notice is a real nice, strong aroma right out of the bottle. Nice carbonation, good thick head. Can definately smell the cascades in there, the kinda citrousy aroma, a little bit of pine.

The beer is not all that clear, but I imagine that's because of the transport. I'll let the ASB sit until Sunday and see how much it clears up in the fridge (the beer just got here this afternoon).

The beer has a little more back-of-the-throat, back-of-the tounge bittering, a little bit more harshness than my version - but not too much at all. I imagine the difference here being that I bittered with cascades rather than chinook.

Plenty of malt to support the hops, it's just big enough. Not thin at all, just the right level of body, not syrupy.

The best part of the beer is the fullness of the hop flavor, not the bitterness.

No off flavors at all that I can perceive.

I love this beer, it's *just right* for an everyday IPA. Not all IPAs are terribly drinkable, I still have to nurse my way through a Hop Rod Rye, for example. Excellent recipe, and very well done.

Can I have some more, please?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Default Walker's Wheat...

I should say, it's tough for me to judge this as I'm not really too much of a wheat beer fan. I don't view them as a sign of the apocolypse like some of our religious friends, but nor are they something I usually reach for.

First thing I notice is that the beer is VERY lightly carbed. Not sure if that's intentional or not. Very little head, I was expecting a lot because of the wheat. For me, this detracts from the beer a fair amount.

Fruity aroma, no hops. Estery, I think (I'm not the expert here). Pours cloudy as expected.

I like the body a lot, nice and full. Not chewey, but it's got some substance to it.

Flavor is fruity, nice and refreshing. Low bitterness, low hop flavor. Almost a little sour (in a good way, doesn't taste like an off flavor).

The more I drink it, the more I like it. Wheat's still aren't my favorite style, but this is a real nice summer ale. It's full in the mouth without being overwhelming. I just wish it were a *little* bit more carbed.

EDIT: I forgot the recipe includes some corriander. My palatte isn't sophisticated enough to pick up on what corriander tastes like, but it's certainly over-spiced. It does taste a good deal like a wit, even though the beer isn't wit-colored.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Last edited by the_bird; 10-24-2006 at 12:21 AM.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Default Walker's ASB

Nice beer. Nice color, smooth head, great clarity. Malty aroma, not overpowering. Little bit of bitterness at the back of the throat, little bit of hops flavor. Hops character seems to be coming out more as I drink it, a little bit floral. There's something in there that tastes a little harsher, but not out of character. Great body, very full and smooth. Not overly sweet, real nice balance.

Very drinkable, without being too light.

Great beer. Personally, I think the IPA is the best of the lot, but all three are very, very good. Great beer, can't wait to collect my FFB winnings from you!

Old 12-17-2006, 03:00 AM   #15
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had the pleasure of sampling Walker's first all-grain batch of beer tonight. He calls it Santa Maria's Maiden Voyage. Considering the hops he used (and since he's a big Buckeye fan) I think he should have named it Ohio State Pale Ale (Columbus, OH). I wasn't overly impressed by the first sip. It tasted good, but I didn't get that hoppy aftertaste I was expecting. Surprisingly, each subsequent sip was better than the one before! By the end of the pint I was telling Walker, "Man, this is a damn good beer. Unfortunately, the SOB only brought a 32 oz. bottle to my house, so further sampling was curtailed. So, Walker, great start to your AG brewing, the beer was delish. Let's float that keg before Christmas! Great job!

Santa Maria's Maiden Voyage
(American Pale Ale)

Grains

* 9.00 lb 2-Row
* 2.00 lb Victory Malt
* 0.50 lb Crystal 20°L
* 0.50 lb CaraPils

Hops

* 0.50 oz Columbus (16.8%) / 60 Minutes
* 0.75 oz Columbus (16.8%) / 15 Minutes
* 1.00 oz Columbus (16.8%) / Dry Hop

Misc (I actually forgot both of these things on brew-day)

* 1 tsp gypsum added at the beginning of the boil
* 1 tsp Irish Moss added with 15 minutes left in the boil

Yeast

* Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Priming

* 3/4 cups corn sugar in 2 cups water. Boiled for 5 minutes.
(but... I'm actually kegging it)

Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONBREWIN'
I had the pleasure of sampling Walker's first all-grain batch of beer tonight. He calls it Santa Maria's Maiden Voyage. Considering the hops he used (and since he's a big Buckeye fan) I think he should have named it Ohio State Pale Ale (Columbus, OH).
I thought about that, actually. I also thought about renaming my porter "Paul Brown Porter".
Quote:
I wasn't overly impressed by the first sip. It tasted good, but I didn't get that hoppy aftertaste I was expecting. Surprisingly, each subsequent sip was better than the one before! By the end of the pint I was telling Walker, "Man, this is a damn good beer.
Glad you liked it so much. I'm still not sure what I think. It defiantely gets better the more you drink.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the SOB only brought a 32 oz. bottle to my house, so further sampling was curtailed. So, Walker, great start to your AG brewing, the beer was delish. Let's float that keg before Christmas! Great job!
Let's see; 1 week till Xmas and probably 4 gallons in the keg.

Whew... it's gonna be a long week. Santa Claus is probably going to have ale and pretzels waiting for him instead of milk and cookies.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #17
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I finally got around to trying the Titch's Wit last night. Once again, a super beer from the Walker Brewery.

Of course it is too dark for a wit, but you already told us that. It poured with a nice head, slightly cloudy and kept a lace to the end.

Aroma is lemony. Taste is different from any wit I've had because of the maltiness. It had a real evident caramelly flavor that really was quite sepctacular. I don't know if age is doing this or if it has been that way all along, but it was really nice. I got a little bit of that lemony sourness in it as well, and a faint hop character as well.

This was an excellent beer and I'm glad I have another one waiting.

FWIW, (and this might be the age of the beer), it is more a hybrid of a style. It almost has dunkel characteristics. Very nice.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply