Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap II: Walker-san's brews...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Beerswap II: Walker-san's brews...

I had three different types, but not everyone got every type due to taste preferences and availability.

All of my caps were blue with white stars, but some had light blue stickers on them with writing.

Kaduva IPA
Caps with a blue sticker and the letter 'i' on it. The recipe used is reflected in my sig. This batch has more malt than previous batches, but I think it was better with a little less. I will drop it back down and brew it again soon. This is my best recipe, but this particular batch of it comes in third if ranked against other iterations of the recipe.

Dude got some, Todd got some. There are 4 bottles MIA, so somebody has them. They might still be sitting at Boston's.

Titch's Wit
Caps with a blue sticker and the letter 'w' on it. Recipe in my sig is not accurate, because I added a booster to this in the primary after tasting it and deciding it was too weak. I added another pound of DME and another two tbsp of corriander. It's not a Wit, but I think it's a good wheat beer. (My first wheat beer, too...) I suggest squeezing a wedge of fresh orange into it when you drink it.

Dude got some, Todd got some, Greg and Pansy got some.

ASB
Caps with no sticker. This was a "fly by the seat of my pants" brew with the recipe created from leftovers in the freezer and a couple things I wanted to try out. It's nothing very memorable and I'm not a very big fan of it.

Only dude got this one... I save the bad brews for him Though.... he never did drink my Fat Tire F*ck-Up (Pandora's Box) from the last brewswap.

Edit: Any of you local guys that want to review them, let me know. Supplies are running low on the IPA. Need to do me some brewing soon.

Last edited by Walker; 10-10-2006 at 04:13 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mystery solved: I've got 4 bottles of the Kaduva IPA in my fridge. I've sampled it plenty (and liked it very much) so I'll save these for whoever wants them. Walker?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Walker

Recipes 

I can take them back if you don't want them. I think everyone has had my IPA at somt point.

Those were left over because sailman and beerluvngrl don't like super hopped beers. I gave them all the remaining Wit I had with me instead of a sampler of Titch and Kaduva.

-walker

Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #4
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Walker's Titches Wit Review

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of wheat beers. What's worse is that I don't have any oranges to squeeze into this brew. With that said, here's the review:
This beer is cloudy, common for wheat beers. There is a little carbonation, not much, and very little head. Mostly just a ring around the top, touching the glass.

This brew is malty with little to no bitterness. It's very smooth. Walker says there is corriander in it but I honestly can't tell you what corriander tastes like.

I like this beer! It doesn't remind me of other wheats so maybe that's it. SWMBO had some too and she likes it as well. I guess my only question is about the carbonation, is it suppose to be less carb'd?

I will definitely have to get an orange to squeeze into the other bottle and see what that is like.

Good job Walker!

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
Walker

Recipes 

It's not going to be highly carbed, but you might have a very undercarbed one.

a few of my beers (both IPA and Wit) got put into the fridge at about the 2.5 week mark on conditioning and could have used more time. However, I never got around to taking them OUT of the fridge. Those prematurely cooled beers might have made their way into the six packs I gave away.

-walker

Old 10-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ahhhh....I've got the last few sips of a nice Kaduva IPA right now....

Nice orangish color, and a hint of hops at first whiff. Taste is a classic hop first IPA that still remains balanced. Carbonation, perfect. The more I had the better and better it got. Good strong bitterness all the way through--but it isn't harsh. I really, really, REALLY like this one. Of course, I'm a hophead.

BTW, the lable for this is spot on for what I would expect from the beer. It jsut fits for some reason. Great stuff.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-15-2006, 01:25 AM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

ASB:

What do you not like about this?
I think it outstanding.

It has a real nice balance--this is something I could drink all night long and be perfectly happy. This is a top notch beer from top to bottom. One thing I've noticed about Walker's beers is they hold a head all the way through. I can't say that for mine.

I think this one is flat out awesome. Aroma is all malt, real sweet. First sip is real malty, then a nice bittery finish. No faults whatsoever in this, I hope you have more because you should enter it into a competition. I'm dead serious.

This is the best beer I've had of yours Chad. I don't know if you'll take that as a compliment or not--but I really enjoyed it.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
ASB:

What do you not like about this?
I think it outstanding.

It has a real nice balance--this is something I could drink all night long and be perfectly happy. This is a top notch beer from top to bottom. One thing I've noticed about Walker's beers is they hold a head all the way through. I can't say that for mine.

I think this one is flat out awesome. Aroma is all malt, real sweet. First sip is real malty, then a nice bittery finish. No faults whatsoever in this, I hope you have more because you should enter it into a competition. I'm dead serious.

This is the best beer I've had of yours Chad. I don't know if you'll take that as a compliment or not--but I really enjoyed it.
Sh1t.. maybe I should try another one. I haven't had one of those for over a month. I've got probably 1.5 cases of that left, just sitting in the closet.

The goal of the recipe (which was thrown together, literally, on the fly) was to get a malty nutbrown ale. I had some grains in the freezer, so I decided to used them. I had bought the aromatic to experiment with, and decided to start using it. Since it felt like a nutbrown coming together, I grabbed some Fuggles out of my hops stockpile and started cooking.

After I had cooked it, I ran what I had done through the recipator to see what I had done, and saw that it was kind of high in IBUs for a brown ale. Someone suggested that it looked more like an Special Bitter, so I changed the name to Accidental Special Bitter.

Anyway, my opinion of it when I had my first bottle of it was that the maltiness (kind of intense on the nose from the aromatic malt used) was too much when compared to the high IBUs I had. It was a weird combo with a nutty taste under it.

Basically, I thought I had too many conflicting flavors in it.

Perhaps the bitterness has died off over time and it might have turned into what I was after in the first place.

I'm going to go put one in the fridge.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 AM   #9
Walker

Recipes 

I had to go back and look at the recipe myself...

WTF is up with my hop schedule?

Hops

• 1.50 oz Fuggles (4%) @ 60 minutes
  • 1.00 oz Fuggles (4%) @ 40 minutes
an addition at 60 and one at 40, but nothing else? I 'spect that I have a type-o there, because I can't think what would make me do that on purpose.

-walker

Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Yeah, I'd definitley consider it a classic ESB. That was a super beer.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply