New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap II: todd_k's brews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 AM   #11
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did it foam like crazy when you poured it? The last 2 bottles I had had about 1/2 inch of beer in the bottom and the rest was full of head. I'm watching that game too.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #12
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I heeded your earlier warning, poured it very carefully into a pint glass. I really enjoyed it, reminded me of a Samuel Adams Honey Porter.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like I didn't get any of these brews. I have Walker's and BLG's.

Todd, we need to get together soon then.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-13-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
todd_k

Recipes 

That sucks how it got screwed up like this. I'm all out of the Porter and ESB, the only ones left are at BB's.
We can get together whenever you want as long as it fits around my annoying house-finding schedule (you know how that goes!). Or maybe we can meet up at Williamburg Aleworks? That's kind of halfway between Richmond and Hampton. Or we could do a brew session, I'd like to see an AG batch.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:

Old 11-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #15
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm slow to getting around to things, but.... here is my first review of one of Todd's brews.

Avery New World Porter Clone

Let me start by saying that I have never had the original, so I can't make any kind of compare/contrast statements along those lines. I should also add that I am very picky about porters. It's my favorite style, but I am learning that I only really dig porters that fall into a narrow slice of the full spectrum. I lean more towards the brown porters then the robust ones.

Anyway.... on to the review.

Color: pretty damn black. If I hold it near a light, I can see through it around the edges and see that it is a rich DARK brown color.

Head: When I poured this, I got a HUGE head on it that got very rocky very quicky and actually rose up out of the glass. I looked like a root beer float. NICE!

Flavor: Since we all agreed to be brutally honest here, I would give this a 6.5 out of 10. (Keep in mind the info I gave above about preferring brown porters and being super picky about my porters.... hell I can't even brew one that I like myself and I've tried over a dozen times. )

There is a subtle bit of sweetness on the nose, wich I quite enjoy. However, this fades quickly into something that my pallette detects as sour. I think that this sourness is keeping this from being an 8 for me on the flav-o-licious meter. It's not sour as in "vinegar", but something else. I can't place it.

The aftertaste left in my mouth 10 to 15 seconds after I take a pull is actually VERY pleasant, but my tounge is left feeling a little dry. I can't decide if that dryness is a pro, con, or neutral.... I'm just making the observation.

Body: Spot on for my picky porter tastes. It couldn't be better. Just enough body to make you notice it, but not over-the-top to make the beer too heavy.

Good beer, Todd.

I may have sounded critical on the flavor, but I would still place this closer to the top of the heap of porters that I have tried than the bottom. There were three or four porters that I sampled at the brewfest that went immediately onto the ground.

-walker

PS: SWMBO drank the other two I had in the fridge (the IPA and the ESB). I'll try to make her do a review when she gets back from her cooking class tonight. I've still got one bottle of each kind, but I kind of promised those to Richard. I might just have to share them with him so we can both review.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You know what... that sourness might have been caused by the combination of my dinner and the beer. I'm just finishing the glass of porter now, and I don't detect the same flavor I was at first.

It's either that, or this beer gets better with quantity.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #17
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Maybe it was the cacciatore?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:24 AM   #18
todd_k

Recipes 

Thanks for the review. I don't know what would be sour in it. It was the first (and only) porter I have made and it is meant to be more hoppy then your average porter.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:

Quick Reply