Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap II: Dude's brews...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 03:38 AM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Beerswap II: Dude's brews...

Quick explanation of the cap labels:

RER: Red Eye Rye. A dumbed down Hop Rod Rye type beer. Not as big in gravity, not as hoppy. I thought this turned out pretty decent. For those at the shindig at Jeff's, this was in the travel kegerator.

MB: Maple Blonde. It was a base blonde ale that I added maple syrup to after initial fermentation, then put some crushed fenugreek seeds in secondary. Not very impressed with this one--turned out too sweet for me.

DB: DewBrew. This is the same blonde ale recipe as the Maple Blonde (brewed that in the same batch) but without the maple syrup and fenugreek. Essentially I took 2.5 gallons of wort and 6 2 liter bottles of Mt. Dew and fermented it together. This recipe was in BYO a few years back. IMHO, it isn't too good. It was brewed as kind of a joke for our yearly picnic in my homebrew club, where we had to use a weird adjunct.

HPA: Honey Pale Ale. Some of you have already had this--it isn't as good because it is now showing its age. I used 2 lbs. of honey in the recipe, and the bittering hop is Phoenix, something I've nevere used before. This got a second in the Dominion Cup, FWIW.

I wouldn't mind you guys critiquing the Pliny either--if you can remember it after all the beer we had Saturday.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 03:46 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I wouldn't mind you guys critiquing the Pliny either--if you can remember it after all the beer we had Saturday.
As a representative of The GRABASS Saturday Sober Society (GRABASSSSS?), I can clearly remember the beer. (FYI: I took a small sample of all HBs on tap at BB's and a couple from bottles, but refrained from pouring a pint of anything until I got home at the end of the night.)

Pliny was damn good. It cut right through the heavy taste I had in my mouth from the Hop Rod Rye we had just sampled, but the bitterness was clean and strong.

I honestly don't remember the mouthfeel, but I believe it was a pretty dry beer, was it not?

It was pretty clear (I was the one that cracked open the growler and got the first taste) and had a nice warm gold color. I had a half pint of it before we crashed that was cloudy and yeasty, and it was still pretty good.

I preferred your Rye on tap more, but the Pliny was very good.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
DB: DewBrew. This is the same blonde ale recipe as the Maple Blonde (brewed that in the same batch) but without the maple syrup and fenugreek. Essentially I took 2.5 gallons of wort and 6 2 liter bottles of Mt. Dew and fermented it together. This recipe was in BYO a few years back. IMHO, it isn't too good. It was brewed as kind of a joke for our yearly picnic in my homebrew club, where we had to use a weird adjunct.
This beer defies a standard review with fancy beer-snob type terminology. SO, let me just quickly summarize....

This beer sucks.

Now, I don't believe it is the fault of the brewing process. This is just a seriously handicapped recipe. I HATE Mountain Dew to begin with, so polluting a beer with it is not going to make me like it any more.

Sorry to review this one first, Dude, but I thought I better just get the questionable one out of the way as soon as possible.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

You sampled the Dew beer before mine?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dde
MB: Maple Blonde. It was a base blonde ale that I added maple syrup to after initial fermentation, then put some crushed fenugreek seeds in secondary. Not very impressed with this one--turned out too sweet for me.
Damn, man... I'm sorry to say that this one is flat flat flat. Not a single bubble to be found.

I'm not a huge fain of maple unless it's on bread of some type, but I think the maple flavor is subtle enough in this beer that I would actually enjoy it.

The beer is very clean tasting (I detect no off-flavors) and seems relatively low in IBUs. (I tried to look at your recipe link, but the server is not responding.) Color is appealing and looks "maple-y", and the beer is very clear. I had hardley any sediment in my bottle, too.

I think I would like it with some carbonation, but due to it being flat I can't really drink it.

-walker

Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
You sampled the Dew beer before mine?
My wife took yours back out of the fridge yesterday b/c she couldn't find a place for her white wine bottle.

I've got it back in now, and since you're so amped up for a review, I'll make sure to post it immediately after sampling rather than run it by you in private like you asked.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

You know, I'm starting to not like your SWMBO... when's my beer going to be here again?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
You know, I'm starting to not like your SWMBO... when's my beer going to be here again?

Don't take that from him! Ban for life!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
RER: Red Eye Rye. A dumbed down Hop Rod Rye type beer. Not as big in gravity, not as hoppy. I thought this turned out pretty decent. For those at the shindig at Jeff's, this was in the travel kegerator.
I did not sample this tonight, but I sampled it a few times at Jeff's after the brewfest. Awesome dark amber color and nice head.

I thought this beer was excellent. I have not had too many rye beers before, but this is seriously the best one I've ever had. I like it MORE than Hop Rod Rye, in all honesty. I'm finding lately that I am not digging uber heavy and highly hopped ales. I thought yours had the same flavor of HRR, but was a little more under control. HRR seems over-the-top everwhere. Not that this is BAD, but it's something I'm not into right now.

I would drink your RER any day of the week.

On a side note: you also sent a bottle of it home with me and Julie opened it up the other day. It was also VERY flat, like the maple blond I just had a minute ago.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
I dropped it off today (saturday was a down day due to being out too late with Truble). I don't know how long it will take to get there.

Quick Reply