Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007- Yooperchick's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
Dead Guy is a maibock.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to chime in on that and mention how much I have enjoyed reading all the brewers notes and tasters reviews in this section of the forum. Excellent stuff!
Thanks for chiming in. I like reading the notes, too. I've read them all, and sometimes I drool.

The Dead Guy is really in a class by itself- as even its website says it is a "maibock style ale". Well, there is no such thing! A maibock is a lager. I used the pacman yeast and fermented it at 60 degrees and kept the secondary at 60 degrees. So, I thought of it as just an American Amber until Vermicous said "EPA". If I were going to enter it in competition, I think it would have to be Amber ale because I used non-English hops. But style-wise I believe it is an EPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
Thanks for chiming in. I like reading the notes, too. I've read them all, and sometimes I drool.

The Dead Guy is really in a class by itself- as even its website says it is a "maibock style ale". Well, there is no such thing! A maibock is a lager. I used the pacman yeast and fermented it at 60 degrees and kept the secondary at 60 degrees. So, I thought of it as just an American Amber until Vermicous said "EPA". If I were going to enter it in competition, I think it would have to be Amber ale because I used non-English hops. But style-wise I believe it is an EPA.
True, maibock is a lager and dead guy is an ale. I can kinda see the association with an EPA 'cept I typically associate more fruity estery elements with an EPA and a different malt profile than what a dead guy presents.

Either way, good beer is good beer and it sounds like you made a great one from all accounts...congrats!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

Dead Guy Clone

Appearance: Nice Pour, Amber in color, and slightly cloudy (I didn't give it much time to settle after it arrived) Good Head Retention. Good Carbonation.

Aroma: Slightly Fruity, with floral notes. Very Pleasant.

Taste: Tastes is mildly fruity, mildly sweet and mildly bitter. Great over all flavor. Nice Medium Body

Overall I have never had Rouge's Dead Guy, so I didn't know what to expect. If you clone is accurate, I need to buy some. I really enjoyed this beer. Well balanced and good drinkability. Well done!!!

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Old 03-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #14
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never had Dead Guy before (and clearly never had Yooper's), but damn! That color is spot-on. Well done!

Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

IPA

Appearance: Pfffft. Nice Pour, Amber, and slightly cloudy (again I didn't give it much time to settle after it arrived) Good Head Retention. Good Carbonation.

Aroma: Strong hop aroma, but not overbearing.

Taste: Great hop flavor, nice bittering.

Overall I really enjoyed this IPA. It's a little sweeter than most IPA's I've had, but really well balanced. I couldn't find the recipe for this one, but I would love to have it. Thank you Lorenea. Well done!!!

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Old 03-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddup_is_a_middup
I couldn't find the recipe for this one, but I would love to have it. Thank you Lorenea. Well done!!!
Thanks for the nice reviews, guys! The IPA recipe is in Walker-san's signature. Here is the link: http://digitalninja.org/beer/kaduva_ipa.html He also posted an AG version, so I'll have to try that one too sometime.

I did not use gypsum in my water, but otherwise I followed it pretty closesly. I used cascade instead of chinook for bittering, though. The other hops were all mixed together and then divided into 7 additions, then put it every 5 minutes. I see that he's changed the recipe slightly (8 additions now, since he added a 35 minute one). I divided the hops into 7, and started adding then at 30 minutes. Dry hopped for a week or so with fresh cascade hops.

I have in in Beersmith if you need it emailed to you, just pm me.

We need to thank Walker for doing all the work developing the recipe- I just followed the directions!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #17
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
Thanks for the nice reviews, guys! The IPA recipe is in Walker-san's signature. Here is the link: http://digitalninja.org/beer/kaduva_ipa.html He also posted an AG version, so I'll have to try that one too sometime.
I did the AG version recently. I'll be bottling it this weekend. Really looking forward to this one.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #18
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets
I did the AG version recently. I'll be bottling it this weekend. Really looking forward to this one.
I also did the AG version and bottled this past Sunday. This is why we need recipe counters.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Quick Reply