New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 v2.0: Evan!'s Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Basil IPA 07'er
------------------------------

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: The fill on the bottles is as expected, nice pffft upon opening. It poured very nicely, retaining a 2 finger off-white head for about 10 seconds, stabalizing at a 1 finger head that maintained for 20 or 30 seconds. Reddish copper in color, this beer is very clear and retained a layer of foam throughout my session with it.

Aroma: The only detectable aroma present prior to tasting is a mildly strong hint of the basil with some caramel undertones. I smell very little, if any hop aroma. As it warms there is a very, very slight spiciness that I'm guessing is the cinnamon, but it's not strong enough for me to be sure.

Palate: This has a thick and creamy mouthfeel. The basil seems to overwhelm mild caramel notes while I agitate it in my mouth, but it is only slightly disernable in the finish. Just as in the aroma, there is little, if any, hop presence in the palate. As it warms, the basil seems to overpower this beer, and it could use some hops to balance this out.

Proximity to the Style: I'm going to compare this to style 14B (American IPA) because, well, you said it's an IPA. The color is probably at the very dark end of the range for the style, but within limits. There is no prominent hop aroma at all, and very little hop flavor present.

Overall Impression: This is a interesting and successfull experiment with basil. I wasn't sure how well I would like this beer, but I was surprised at the richness that the basil contributed to the flavor. Having said that, I think that this is more of a specialty beer than an IPA. IPA's should scream hops, and I get virtually none from this brew.

35/50

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #22
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Stunkelweizen:

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: The fill on the bottles is as expected, nice pffft upon opening. It poured very nicely, retaining a 1 finger off-white head for about 30 seconds. Copper to brown in color, this beer is very clear and exactly what I would expect the color to be for the style.

Aroma: There is a stong malty note present in the nose, as well as a clove spiciness with little to no hop presence detectable. The conbination of the two makes me anticipate a high malt profile.

Palate: This has a medium bodied mouthfeel with strong malt and clove notes and a mild hop presence. There is a dry malt flavor that I expected to be a bit more sweet, but it is still very good. If finishes with a slight fruity tones that combine with the spiciness for a great ending.

Proximity to the Style: It's pretty rare that I say this about a beer, but I would have liked this to be a bit more on the malty side. Having said that, it is well within almost all aspects for the style (15B) including color, carbonation and aroma.

Overall Impression: This is a very good beer. It is a bit dryer than the commercial examples that I've had of the style as opposed to sweet, but I personally found it very, very drinkable.

37/50

Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #23
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, working with basil is always a tricky proposition, because I never know how much to add. Having said that, and being a basil fan, this is one of my favorite beers. If you're not a basil junky like me, it can tend to be a little weird, but I think you're right---it still doesn't live up to IPA standards in terms of hop flavor/aroma, even with the heavy late additions of amarillo gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Basil IPA 07'er

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: The fill on the bottles is as expected, nice pffft upon opening. It poured very nicely, retaining a 2 finger off-white head for about 10 seconds, stabalizing at a 1 finger head that maintained for 20 or 30 seconds. Reddish copper in color, this beer is very clear and retained a layer of foam throughout my session with it.

Aroma: The only detectable aroma present prior to tasting is a mildly strong hint of the basil with some caramel undertones. I smell very little, if any hop aroma. As it warms there is a very, very slight spiciness that I'm guessing is the cinnamon, but it's not strong enough for me to be sure.

Palate: This has a thick and creamy mouthfeel. The basil seems to overwhelm mild caramel notes while I agitate it in my mouth, but it is only slightly disernable in the finish. Just as in the aroma, there is little, if any, hop presence in the palate. As it warms, the basil seems to overpower this beer, and it could use some hops to balance this out.

Proximity to the Style: I'm going to compare this to style 14B (American IPA) because, well, you said it's an IPA. The color is probably at the very dark end of the range for the style, but within limits. There is no prominent hop aroma at all, and very little hop flavor present.

Overall Impression: This is a interesting and successfull experiment with basil. I wasn't sure how well I would like this beer, but I was surprised at the richness that the basil contributed to the flavor. Having said that, I think that this is more of a specialty beer than an IPA. IPA's should scream hops, and I get virtually none from this brew.

35/50

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #24
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You know, I sort of messed this one up, but it's become an good session beer as a result. The malty sweetness that you seem to be missing comes from the fact that this brew was the second in a double-batch brew session, and it was very late, and I missed my post-boil volume. Ended up with a touch over 6 gallons I think, so the OG was like 1.046---still in the style range, as you say, but not what I was shooting for. I was worried going into fermentation that it'd be watery, but given that the vast majority of my beers are high gravity, I'm thrilled to have a nice, easy fall session brew. You know, now that I think of it, this is probably the first beer I've brewed that had an OG below 1.050. Is that crazy?

Anyway, I'm not gonna change the recipe next time, just make sure I hit my volume...and that'll probably make it more malty and a little heavier on the palate.

Thanks for the continuing thoughtful reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Stunkelweizen:

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: The fill on the bottles is as expected, nice pffft upon opening. It poured very nicely, retaining a 1 finger off-white head for about 30 seconds. Copper to brown in color, this beer is very clear and exactly what I would expect the color to be for the style.

Aroma: There is a stong malty note present in the nose, as well as a clove spiciness with little to no hop presence detectable. The conbination of the two makes me anticipate a high malt profile.

Palate: This has a medium bodied mouthfeel with strong malt and clove notes and a mild hop presence. There is a dry malt flavor that I expected to be a bit more sweet, but it is still very good. If finishes with a slight fruity tones that combine with the spiciness for a great ending.

Proximity to the Style: It's pretty rare that I say this about a beer, but I would have liked this to be a bit more on the malty side. Having said that, it is well within almost all aspects for the style (15B) including color, carbonation and aroma.

Overall Impression: This is a very good beer. It is a bit dryer than the commercial examples that I've had of the style as opposed to sweet, but I personally found it very, very drinkable.

37/50

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #25
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Sweet Baby Jesus:

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: The fill on the bottles is as expected, nice pffft upon opening. It poured very nicely with a slight head that very quickly disappeared. It pours very clear in my glass and is light amber in color - a bit darker than I'd expect for a PA. I'd estimate the color to be 13-15, which is within the upper limits of the style which is stated to be 5-14.

Aroma: There is a stong malty note present in the nose, with no detectable hop aroma.

As an aside, the aroma of this brew is almost identical to your Hop Beatdown. The color is similar as well, with this beer being a bit lighter.

Palate: This has a light to medium bodied mouthfeel with strong malt taste in the front. It finishes with a clean bitterness that I can't quite put a hop variety on (Sorachi Ace maybe?). It leaves a taste that I wasn't expecting and can't quite identify - as it warms the aroma of this flavor becomes apparent in the nose and is also familiar from your Hop Beatdown.

Proximity to the Style: This is a good beer, but it's not what I'd typically think of as a Pale Ale (10A) when compared to most commercial examples. I like my beer a bit more on the hoppy side as a rule of thumb, but this is tastes like it is right in line with the IBU guidelines for the style. I would have given another point had there been more hop aroma, as there was very little detectable

Overall Impression: This is a very good beer. It is a bit more malty than I'd expect a PA to be, but has nice bitterness and is overall very drinkable. Good job!

38/50

Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #26
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

London Porter

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: The fill on the bottles was as expected with a nice pffft upon opening. It poured very nicely, and retained a 1 finger head for a good 30 seconds. It poured an almost black color into my glass. It's a tad bit dark for a porter, almost opaque, but nothing to fret over in my book.

Aroma: A strong malty nose with a touch of caramel present. There is also a slight fruit aroma which I'm guessing is from a late floral hop addition. If the citrus that I'm smelling isn't from hops, then there is no other hop aroma detectable (as it should be). As it warms there is a fairly substantial nutty aroma present - so much so (as I take a whiff with about 4 sips left) that my sense of smell is telling my brain to expect a Nut Brown even though I know better.

Palate: Your notes are correct - this is a bit thin bodied for a porter, but it certainly doesn't present a watered-down feel. The front it loaded with flavors from nutty to almost a toffee like hint while the back presents a slightly alcoholic and nutty finish. I was expecting a bit of a raosty character or some chocolate notes, but neither were detectable to me. In my personal opinion this beer could use just a bit more carbonation to *really* improve the mouthfeel.

Proximity to the Style: IBU's - check. SRM - probably a bit dark. ABV - it tastes a but higher than the style guidelines of 5.4% (from your notes I'm judging this as a Brown Porter (12A), but I personally welcome the slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

Overall Impression: I must say that you have a knack for producing some very solid, quality beers, Evan. This is a very complex beer that presents a plethora of aromas and tastes for the palate to enjoy. I could easily (and quite happily) knock back quite a few of these. Having said that I want to be as honest and forthcoming as I possibly can for both of our sakes. You want to make the best beer that you can and I'm, well..., I'm studying to take the BJCP exam so consider the last few reviews an exercise on my part as well.

38/50

Old 01-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #27
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Mephistopheles
----------------------------------------------

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: The fill on the bottles seemed a bit high to me before opening, only being about 1/2" from the top of the bottle. Weak pffft upon opening. I let this age for over 3 months from the date that I received it from you, but as expected due to the high abv, this beer has almost no carbonation at all (which is just fine with me).

Aroma: The aroma is dominated by alcohol and a smoky odor that to me at least, is quite inviting. There is a slight hint of dark fruit (fig/date/raisin) and bready aroma present, and there is no noticeable hop presence in the nose. As it warms the alcohol begisn to overwhelm all other smells with the exception of something that I can only best describe as a smoked aroma.

Palate: With an extremely heavy body, this beer delivers a great alcohol warmth that is well masked by the stong presence of dark fruit with the smoky and bready notes from the nose also coming through to the palate. There is a faint hint of licorice as the beer warms, and there is no detectable hop presence in the palate.

Proximity to the Style: This beer is better than I was expecting, and I was expecting a lot. Having had the commercial version, I would actually say that I enjoyed your version even more. The complexity in the nose and palate in this beer just are not present in the commercial version. I would love to drink quite a few of these, but unfortunately if I did I'd be passed out on the floor.

Overall Impression: This is an incredibly full bodied stout that was an absolute pleasure to drink. The only recommendations that I would have would be to possibly add some special B or aromatic to the grainbill to add a bit more aroma and palate to assit in counterbalancing the alcohol a bit more. In a stout of this magnitude I would also like to have had a bit more hops present (this could also help to offset some of the very strong alcohol in the palate). Overall, I would say that this is a beer that while I would only drink it occasionally due to it's high alcohol content, that I would gladly pay the same price as the commercial version.

43/50

Quick Reply