The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007: uwmgdman's beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #11
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I'm trying the German Pale Ale right now...

Appearance: A nice dark straw, golden color with a small, tight head that disapated fairly quickly (but my pint glasses aren't "beer clean"). Very clear, especially for a bottle conditioned beer that got shipped UPS.

Aroma: I can smell the earthy aroma of the Saaz hops. Nice and fragrant.

Taste: Initial flavor is the saaz hops. Malty, a little sweet, just a little in the background. Carbonation is fairly low and mouthfeel is light bodied. Deceptive for a beer that is 6.5%

Overall: This beer looks great and has a great flavor and is quite refreshing. I think it could use a little more carbonation. If this were a stout, I don't think the carbonation would be an issue. Also, a little more mouthfeel might be nice, but maybe its just also related to the carbonation. It feels a little thin on my tongue and I want it to linger a little more. Maybe just a couple degrees higher mash temp (152) might do the trick. You got that thing from 1.057 to 1.008! That's some wicked attenuation!

Short Answer - The balance between bitterness, malt, sweetness and hop flavor and aroma is great. Carbonate a little more and bump the mash temp up slightly.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 AM   #12
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Brewsmith....

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the brew, between your suggestion and Kai's, I'll have to make the beer again soon and see how that turns out, but I think I'm on my way to a nice easy drinking ale.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
uwmgdman

Recipes 

TUCK.....have a chance to do any tastings?

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Quick Reply