Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 - the_bird's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

The one thing that I did a little differently with the Dope-Slap Brown is that it has a couple pounds of home-toasted malt. 350° for 30 minutes, IIRC. Also, it has a half-pound of Victory. This is one of my favorite beers, it does remind me more of a brown porter than a typical brown ale.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #12
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Murder In The Red Barn IPA

Pour: Typical hiss, pours smoothly, nice carbo so far.

Visual: Carbonation is nice. Not enough to lace, but pretty nonetheless. The color is dark red to brownish-rust.

Aroma: True, true IPA, with a little extra toastiness in there. The hops hit you right off the bat, and are very pleasant. A little fruity, a little floral, not too citrusy though. The aroma is strong nonetheless. I think I smell Victory.

Palate: Follows through from the nose. The roasted character is awesome. Body is more than adequate and the mouthfeel is silky and delicious. While I appreciate the maltiness, I could use a little more bitterness in there too, but the hop flavor is still there. Not earthy like Torchy says, but still rustic.

Proximity to Traditional Styles: A little more bitterness would be nice for my tastes, but for the style, it's just about right. The color throws me off, as it could be a light brown ale.

Overall: Another winner, IMHO. Balanced and pretty and elegant. Good job!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Default Smoked Porter

Pour: Normal hiss, nice pour, not too much carbonation, perfect for the style

Visual: The head is nice and bone-colored. It's not huge, but big enough to make an impression. The color is like night with the first tinges of red morning sun peeking over the horizon.

Aroma: Cleaner than I was expecting it to be. A little bit of hop aroma, but most of it is just roasty. The most noticably missing element is the smoke. Unfortunately, this style is very difficult. You walk a fine line between being too subtle and not subtle enough. A few ounces of grain can take you from regular porter to rauchbier. That having been said, I don't get smokiness as much as I get roastiness...which is fine, but since this is smoked porter, I'd like to see a little more smoke.

Palate: Same deal here as on the nose. Really excellent porter in and of itself, but lacking the smoke that the label promises. The bitterness is spot-on. The maltiness and roasty character are delicious. It's very balanced, and nice and clean. The mouthfeel is silky and quite refreshing, and the body is just about where a porter should be.

Proximity to Traditional Styles: Again, this is a great porter as far as porters go, but as far as smoked porters go, it misses the mark. Use more smoked malt next time.

Overall: Like I told you with the PAB APA, just change the name and it'll work out . The "APA" is more of a golden ale, and this is more of a standard robust porter than a smoked porter. On those merits, I'm a big fan, as I have been with all your brews. You've got a great thing going, and I really, really appreciate the opportunity to taste through these 4.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Thanks, Evan! The next version's going to have smoked malt instead of peated malt - I'm wondering if the aroma from that (I didn't use enough for any real flavor impact) has begun to drop out. Subtle-smokiness was always the gameplan, however.

I'm also getting happier with it as it ages, it was too hoppy (I think) initially, but the impact of the later additions I did is becoming more subdued.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Thanks, Evan! The next version's going to have smoked malt instead of peated malt - I'm wondering if the aroma from that (I didn't use enough for any real flavor impact) has begun to drop out. Subtle-smokiness was always the gameplan, however.

I'm also getting happier with it as it ages, it was too hoppy (I think) initially, but the impact of the later additions I did is becoming more subdued.
How much peated did you use? Mine was made with peated too. I didn't get any over-hoppiness in yours, though, but I'm not sure how old it was when I had it.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
How much peated did you use? Mine was made with peated too. I didn't get any over-hoppiness in yours, though, but I'm not sure how old it was when I had it.
Two ounces. Brewed it in early December. It's not THAT old, but it's gotten better as it has aged.

Quick Reply