Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 Ryanh1801's beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Beerswap 2007 Ryanh1801's beers

Guess its that time to make my thread. Sent out beers to Beerrific, eriklupust, and Rhoobarb

1st beer was one of my first an extract American Wheat. There is an AW on the cap of this one
2nd beer is an all grain Belgian wit. There is a B on the cap on this one.
3rd is Orfy's Hobgoblin clone with a few slight changes. It is in the 22 oz. bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

UPS just delivered...they are in the fridge.
If you had one to drink after just 4 hours in the fridge which one would you choose? I am leaving to go out of town tonight, would like to try one before I leave, will get to the rest when I get back.

Actually I might just wait and have them when I get back, don't want to rush it.

Last edited by Beerrific; 08-03-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I would say the hobgoblin, its my favorite that I have made so far. Glad to hear they made it all in one piece. Oh and on a side note, its pretty carbonated so pour slowly if you don't want lots of head.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got mine Saturday morning b/c I was at my fiancee's Friday night. They are in the fridge chilling. I'm going to let them settle this week and give them a try this weekend.

I figure that letting them settle from their long journey will be the best way to give them a fair evaluation. Thanks for sending them out! I'm really looking forward to trying them.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Glad to hear they made it all right.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

all beers arrived safely on monday, been in the fridge since.

american wheat

nice phht on opening not much of a head when poured though. what little there was soon dissapated leaving pockets of lace
nice hazy golden color
no hop profile detectable, but the balance is great with not much malt coming through either. easy drinkin not what i'm used to for AW ie BELL'S "oberon".
having said that i could definitely go for some more of this brew. nice job ryan

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Last edited by eriktlupus; 08-10-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

All right. After a week in the fridge, I am back in town and looking forward to tasting these beers...

American Wheat

Opening/pouring: Nice psst when opening, small head that sticks around

Aroma: definitely smells like a wheat, in fact grainy wheat is the only aroma I am getting, very little if any hop aroma

Appearance: somewhat hazy, light copper with gold highlights, seems a bit dark for the style from all the commercial examples I have had

Flavor: very tasty, wheat graininess dominates, just enough hops to give a hint of flavor, complements the wheat flavor very nicely, very well balanced. I detect a bit of tartness in the finish. Not as noticeable as I drank more. No fruity esters detected.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, I think most of the commercial examples I have had were more carbonated than this but I liked it. I think the carbonation could be increased to produce a larger head, but I think that would compromise the taste/mouthfeel.

Overall impression: I am not a big fan of American wheats, but this was a very tasty, refreshing beer. It was about 98F out when I opened this, if I had another I could easily see myself drinking a couple of these in one sitting.

I think this fits the American wheat style exactly except for the color and slight tart taste. SWMBO took a sip and could taste it too, she described it as the taste I have had in some of my beers. Did you use LME? I think that might be the so-called 'twang.' But, like I said, I could only taste in the first couple sips. Overall an excellent beer.

Great, thanks for sharing!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default hobgoblin

carbonation: not much pfft on opening, however very nice creamy head sticking around quite awhile

aroma: more malty than anything else

taste:again malty slightly sweet hop flavor is nice but not enough bitterness for balance imo

appearance: dark but no chill haze very clear

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Beerrific, I think I know that taste you are getting, not sure what it is from, I got it on my two extract beers I did. But I did use DME on that wheat. Im thinking it might just be from old ingredients, That taste was the main reason I went to all grain so fast.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Beerrific, I think I know that taste you are getting, not sure what it is from, I got it on my two extract beers I did. But I did use DME on that wheat. Im thinking it might just be from old ingredients, That taste was the main reason I went to all grain so fast.
Hmm...strange. I only picked it up in the first few sips, could have just been me, not the beer.

Quick Reply