Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007: Rhoobarb's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Beerswap 2007: Rhoobarb's Beers

I’m sending beer to Olllllo, ScoutMan and chillHayze tomorrow (Sat., 3/10). They are each getting my D. McElderry’s Irish Wake Stout and Yellow Rose IPA. The Yellow Rose is brewed with Amarillo hops only.

I await your honest reviews!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Yellow rose IPA, cool name and those amarillo hops are nice. Wanna share a recipe?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Yellow rose IPA, cool name and those amarillo hops are nice. Wanna share a recipe?
I thought I had posted it in the past, but I was wrong. I'll post it this weekend.

If you like citrusy IPAs like the "C hops" tend to impart, then you'll like this a lot! It is citrusy, but a bit smoother than Cascades, IMHO.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Package rec'd today. Fortunately it was only 87 today. Currently chilling.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 03-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Default Yellow Rose Recipe

Glad the beers arrived intact! In fact, according to UPS, it looks like they all have been delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Sorry it took so long. I just posted the Yellow Rose IPA recipe in the recipe database. You can see it here.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
ScoutMan

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the brew's Rhoobarb. Got in off of the road tonight and SWMBO had your Yellow Rose IPA nicely chilled for me.

Pour: Nicely carbonated, with a creamy 1" head that hung around for the entire glass.

Aroma: I couldn't pick up much of a hop aroma, but got a big nose full of malty goodness. "Earthy" I think best describes the smell. Caramel is very present. Lack of hop aroma is most likely due to a lingering head cold.

Appearance: Darker than I would have expected, but certainly within the style guidelines. A dark amber with a slight orange tint. Clarity was good, despite the somewhat rough treatment the package was given by the shipper.(Box was mangled, but the beer was intact)

Flavor: Quite malty with that great Amarillo balance. I am bias here as Amarillo is my favorite hop. Caramel up front with a toffee flavor that lingers on the back of the tongue. A nice medium mouthfeel that fit this beer well.

Overall: A great tasting drinkable beer that lends itself towards the English IPA style. Since I like maltier type beers, and love Amarillo hops, this has been my favorite beer of the swap thus far. Thanks Rhoobarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I see a ripped bag in your future BM :)

Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the nice review, Scoutman! I'm so glad you liked it.

I had one of these last night and, while a head cold doesn't help, the aroma has subsided. I got just a hint of it when I had mine last night and I had to practically stick my nose in the foam to detect it.

I have found that with IPAs - both mine and some commercial examples - the aroma decays pretty quickly over time. The Yellow Rose had a nice bouquet when it was 'new', but I find the aroma lessens almost daily! I may double the dry hops next time I do this, just to try and prolong the hop aroma. IMHO, an IPA just isn't an IPA without a big dose of hops hitting you in the nose!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Anybody else try any?

Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 AM   #9
ScoutMan

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got a chance to give the Irish Wake Stout a try last night.

POUR: Follow Lable Instructions!!! (Pour Slowly). A Huge frothy head that lasted till the end. Great carbonation.

AROMA: Picked up a little hop aroma and lots of typical "coffee" type aromas.

APPEARANCE: Nice and dark with no floaties. Slight amber tint when held to the light, but no light gets through. Head was creamy tan color.

FLAVOR: Coffee flavor that lingers and blends well with the chocolate malt flavors. I was impressed how well the chocolate malt came through using only 4 oz. I had trouble trying to decide which hops you used until I cheated and looked up the recipe.

OVERALL: Very light and easy drinking for a stout. Lots of flavor from the Perle hops. Well balanced overall. Wish I had a few more for tonight.

Thanks again for the opportunity to try your brews Rhoobarb. It's been a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I see a ripped bag in your future BM :)

Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I checked out your beers last night, Rhoobarb.

We'll start with the stout:
I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what but mine smelled a bit off. Not terribly bad just a hint of bacterial funkiness.

The carbonation was quite high for a stout. I poured it slowly and let it sit for awhile bit but still I detect the unmistakable carbonic acid flavor.

The body was also a bit low for a stout. But like I said, possible my bottle was a little contaminated causing lower body.

Flavor - now this coffee/chocolate flavor is awesome but there is that acidic cringe from ... whatever it is from.

On to the IPA:

Now this beer is exactly what I look for in an IPA. Incredible balance between malt and late addition hops. My IPA attempts seem to go after IBU number but I should learn from this one and know the IPA is about flavor notsomuch a super bitterness. I also enjoyed the low carbonation making for easy drinking.

Aroma really compliments the flavor and lasts till the (not-so) bitter end. Also not too fruity like some IPAs.

Color is at the higher end of the range but still a really cool deep amber color.

This was a great beer. Wish I had a keg or 2 of it right now!

Quick Reply