Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 - Pirate Ale's Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Beerswap 2007 - Pirate Ale's Brews

Even though I am not a BJCP certified judge, I'm going to give these an overall point rating using the BJCP scale of 1-50, as shown at the bottom of this sheet - just for the hell of it! I'm just wingin' it here with the numbers, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cream Ale

Appearance: Small pffft sound when uncapped. Thin white head which soon dissipated. Low carbonation, which isn’t to style. Moderate straw/gold color. Almost completely clear, which is to style!

Aroma: Light
corn-like aroma and little else, which is to style.

Flavor: Light flavor, neither hops nor malt predominates. No complexity, diacetyl or fruitiness. Finishes slightly dry with a perceptible corn taste in finish.

Mouthfeel: Light,
crisp, smooth mouthfeel. Just right for the style.

Overall Impression: A good, solid CA. Reminds me of the last partial mash cream ale I brewed two years ago!

Rating: 39

~~~~~~~~~~~~

RIPA

Appearance: Small pffft sound when uncapped. Thin white head which soon dissipated. Good carbonation. Nice amber color!

Aroma: Mild hop aroma with malt coming up after. Smells really nice!

Flavor: Wow – really citrusy hop bitterness with a bit of tannins up front. Really wakes you up! Malt finish, but the hops stay with you in the aftertaste. I’m guessing there are a lot of Cascades at work here. Reminds me of some cask conditioned IPAs I’ve had before. I love IPAs, but at first, I wasn’t sure if I would have wanted another of these. But as it warmed and as I continued sipping, I changed my mind!

Mouthfeel: M
edium mouthfeel – nice body, true to style.

Overall Impression: A good example, but I’d like to see more hop aroma and a bit less bitterness up front. I know, asking for more hop aroma is tough - I have trouble getting my IPAs to carry their hop aroma for very long. Just seems the aroma decays day by day. I think with a change up in the type or amount of bittering hops and finishing hops or maybe a little different malt addition (may an ounce or two of biscuit malt?) this would really stand out. Definitely a sipping IPA for hop-heads.

Rating: 37

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Pirate Ale

Recipes 

Here is the RIPA recipe....It is my PM version of BP's 777.
777 IPA
American IPA

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 6/10/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 68.42 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1.00 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
2.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (40 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 700 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.05 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.58 %
Bitterness: 65.2 IBU Calories: 320 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 3.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.15 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F

My question: How does it compare to your (Rhoobarb's) version. I read in the 777 thread that you made a batch.

Thanks for the great feedback. The CA carb level is low in the bottles, due to my frustrations with the beer gun....

http://www.cafepress.com/barrierisland

Primary:BM"s Sterling Ale
Secondary #1:Biting Midnight Chocolate RIS
Secondary #2:Apple wine
Bottle/Conditioning:NADA
Kegged and Imbibing: ESB, Brown Ale

Best Tee Shirt ever!: "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies"
Of course it won because the model was so hot!!! :-)

Old 09-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ale
...My question: How does it compare to your (Rhoobarb's) version. I read in the 777 thread that you made a batch.
Yeah, I did and it rocked! It was one nice IPA! I plan to do it again after the first of the year.

My big differences ingredient-wise were that it was all grain. I used no flaked rye (rye malt only), domestic 2-row instead of Maris Otter and I substituted WLP007 yeast. Otherwise, it was Brewpaster's original recipe. I think the use of all-rye malt gave it more rye 'spiciness'. I've used flaked rye in a PM Hop Rod Rye clone and it just wasn't the same.

IIRC, I dry hopped with two ounces of Amarillo, which really gave it a nice hop aroma. Next time, I may up it to 3-4 oz.! I see that your Columbus had a higher AA than mine. Mine were ~12.5%AA, That may have something to do with the up-front bitterness . I didn't get that in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ale
...Thanks for the great feedback. The CA carb level is low in the bottles, due to my frustrations with the beer gun....
Ahh, that makes sense. I plan to begin kegging in the next month and I plan to eventually get a Blichmann gun. I understand they have a 'learning curve'.

Quick Reply