The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 - OhioBrewtus' brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #51
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Why, what going on with that brew?

I'll try to post recipes for the Kiltlifter, Ordinary Bitter and Jingle Hell (PM) tonight. The APA recipe is in my sig.

The Summer Ale is indeed a Wit. Almost an identical grainbill to all Wits that I do but with lemon peel and grains of paradise instead of orange peel and corriander.
I left them both in primary for like 16 days because I was busy. Shouldn't be a big deal, but when I racked to secondary last week, the Roche was awesome....and the Chimay was weird. It had this VERY subtle plasticy taste and there was a weird bitterness that it left your mouth with, almost like when you bit into orange pith. I tasted another sample last night, and it seemed better than before, so I'm optimistic. I think it needs time to mellow. I can't imagine what happened. It was great at about 7 days after pitching. I think I'm just worrying for nothing and it'll turn out fine.

I didn't pick up the lemon peel---which is funny, because that blueberry lemon beer you did was ALL lemon---but I thought I got the paradise grains' peppery note. What yeast did you use?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #52
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I left them both in primary for like 16 days because I was busy. Shouldn't be a big deal, but when I racked to secondary last week, the Roche was awesome....and the Chimay was weird. It had this VERY subtle plasticy taste and there was a weird bitterness that it left your mouth with, almost like when you bit into orange pith. I tasted another sample last night, and it seemed better than before, so I'm optimistic. I think it needs time to mellow. I can't imagine what happened. It was great at about 7 days after pitching. I think I'm just worrying for nothing and it'll turn out fine.

I didn't pick up the lemon peel---which is funny, because that blueberry lemon beer you did was ALL lemon---but I thought I got the paradise grains' peppery note. What yeast did you use?
You used White Labs Trappist on the Chimay, right? Was it a new vial or washed? Did they both maintain about the same temp during fermentation (different strains do different things, but in the same environment I wouldn't think that one would be any more than a couple of degrees +/- of the other)? Hate to state the obvious, just trying to help you work though the possible causes.

If it were me I don't think that I'd be too worried about it. Beers like that really need to sit in bottles for a couple of months before they really get good, so I'd probably just chalk it up to green beer and the different yeast strains and feel pretty confident that it will end up fine after it's been in bottles for a while.

I use WLP400 on all my Wits.

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 12-03-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #53
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, it was the WLP500, brand new vial. Same recipe, same brewing techniques, same temps. The Chimay did take a little longer to get started, but I think that's because the Roche got a head start because it was in a smackpack. I'm with you on the RDW thing...but it was still a shock when I first tasted it. It smells incredible, though, and tasted better last night than it did a week ago. The Rochefort, on the other hand, is phenomenal.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply