The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 - OhioBrewtus' brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 AM   #21
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

11H - Hoegaarden clone

Appearance:
Cloudy golden color. Thin white head with a bit of lacing.

Aroma:
Very malty - lots of wheat coming through. Slight citrus twang.

Taste:
Up front it's just about right for Hoegaarden - smooth, citrus, a bit sweet. The finish is very bitter (bitter orange maybe?).

Mouthfeel:
Thick and rich. Just right.

Drinkability:
A good beer. Not great because of the bitter finish, but a good beer. One I'd be glad to share with friends.

Style-appropriate:
Too dark in color, not enough citrus/coriander aroma. Coriander is lacking in the flavor as well. Finish should be sweeter. Head should be more full and persistent.

The beer in my coveted Hoegaarden glass:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 AM   #22
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

17S - Snowman Ale

Appearance:
Cloudy golden color - significantly lighter than the 11H. Pours with a nice white froth, but it quickly dissipates to nothing.

Aroma:
VERY, VERY clean. Barely a hint of coriander and orange. Almost no aroma at all.

Taste:
Just guessing, but this beer was a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the 11H. The 11H had a ton of orange and too much of a malt that wasn't white/Belgian wheat. This beer barely has any orange, and the flavor is very thin overall. The coriander makes a brief presence on the palate with this one. A compromise in flavor between the 11H and 17S would be excellent.

Mouthfeel:
A little thin. Not bad. Carbonated at the right level.

Drinkability:
Again, a good beer, but not great. Quite easy to drink, though.

Style-appropriate:
Still a touch too dark in color with little to no citrus/coriander aroma. Coriander is slightly more present than in the 11H, and the orange is all but gone. Again, the head should be more full and persistent.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 AM   #23
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

10B - Blue Bitch

Appearance:
CLEAR! Crystal clear with a nice white froth. Head dissipates quickly - seems to be a bit of a trend.

Aroma:
Nice and fruity. Big banana nose with a hard to place fruity complexity. Sweet and inviting.

Taste:
Love it! Banana and spice up front - definite hefe flavor. Well balanced. That complex fruitiness leaves a bit of bittersweet question mark on the palate - quite pleasant, though.

Mouthfeel:
Just right! Carbonated at the right level.

Drinkability:
Hides the high ABV without a doubt. A session beer...except that the session would end in unconscious bliss.

Style-appropriate:
No idea what style this is, but it works for me. Best beer yet, OB! Thank you!

[YOUTUBE]KBbkrnKUx80[/YOUTUBE]

Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #25
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

21DD - Donkey Dick's Belgian Wit

Appearance:
Nice pale yellow. A touch cloudy with yeast. Thin head - should be more full and persistent.

Aroma:
Again, quite clean to the nose. Mostly orange with just a touch of coriander.

Taste:
Nicely balanced bitter orange up front. Smooth bitterness. The orange lingers a bit strongly in the aftertaste - almost an "orange juice from concentrate" sort of flavor that hangs around after a few sips.

Mouthfeel:
Well carbonated, nice mouthfeel. Hoegaarden tends to have a silkier feel on the palate - maybe some oats would help out there.

Drinkability:
Not sure if I like this one or the Kolsch better, but definitely one of the best you sent. Very easy to drink, quite refreshing.

Style-appropriate:
A very nice wit. You nailed the color on this one, and there really aren't any big flaws except that it's just not quite Hoegaarden.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #26
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 17S - Snowman Ale

Sorry for the delay...I completely forgot! Transferring my notes now...

17S - Snowman Ale

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: Slight hiss, short head, nice white froth.

Aroma: More subtle than the first go-round, and not as spicy. Much different, but I can't say that it's any closer to or further from Hoegaarden. Hoegie doesn't have much of an orange or coriander character...not as much as many other Belgian wits. No hop aroma here, which is right for Hoegie.

Palate: Same here as on the nose. Much more subtle, but not quite in the realm of Hoegaarden yet. I like it, it's very refreshing and could be a nice lawnmower beer.

Proximity to the Style: Not as spicy as I'm used to on a wit, and there's not as much wheat "twang". The color is about right, and it's nice n' cloudy.

Overall Impression: Didn't like this one as much as the first attempt. Not quite as interesting or complex. Then again, I like my wits pretty spicy, so take it with a grain of salt.

SCORE: 33/50

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #27
Evan!

Recipes 

Default 13P - 'Honeydo Porter'

13P - Honeydo Porter

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: Very pretty stuff...nice bone-colored head, not much of it, but it's there. The red edges can be made out if you hold it up to the light.

Aroma: Slightly roasty, with a bit of chocolate in there. Little to no hop aroma. Smells...balanced, but not altogether pungent or exciting.

Palate: Ah, nice and malty...and plenty roasty too. My notes agree with Yuri's assessment here: it needs more body. But I didn't find it watered down...just more of a session porter. Somewhere I get maple syrup and charcoal, but it's ever so subtle.

Proximity to the Style: This reminds me a little of Old Richmond's Brown or Abita Turbodog, but not quite as expressive. It's definitely a brown porter more than a robust one. Could use a touch more hop aroma/flavor, and a bit more body.

Overall Impression: I liked it, alot...simply because porters are often an undertaking. People take them as seriously as they take imperial stouts...and sometimes, I want a session porter. This is nice, because it's light and not too complicated. So for what it is, and not what it wants to be, I likey!

SCORE: 38/50

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #28
Evan!

Recipes 

Default 10B - Blue Bitch

10B - Blue Bitch

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: Typical carbo, looks like. Good hiss, small head. Clearer than the wheat beers, of course...

Aroma: Spicy, fruity, odd. No hop aroma. Some citrus.

Palate: Gotta say, this turns me off. I don't taste the blueberry at all. It's all lemon. No matter what, it keeps reminding me of lemon pledge. It's not a bad beer, just not my cup o' tea. The lemon has effectively taken this beer over. A mutiny, I say. I've been there before with my lemon-lime brew.

Proximity to the Style: I'm looking in the BJCP style guide for "lemon beer", but I can't find it...

Overall Impression: Not sure what made you think of lemon and blueberries, but hey, whateva floats yer boat. Personally, the lemon was over the top for me. I couldn't get much else out of it. It seemed correct and balanced outside of the lemon...

SCORE: 20/50

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #29
Evan!

Recipes 

Default 9J - Jingle Hell

9J - Jingle Hell

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: A little darker than usual, prolly from the DME. Nice white head, no staying power.

Aroma: Wow, I don't know what to say. This is awesome. I could smell it all night, it's that fun. Spice, orange, a slight hop aroma, and complexity to boot. This is droolifying, but classic at the same time.

Palate: Blam! And the follow through is all there. I did not want this one to be done. This is like Bell's 8000, but better. Not nearly as clumsy as their version. The high alcohol isn't apparent. The mouthfeel is creamy and silky, nicely full while still being refreshing and elegant. The complexity here is miles deep, and I get earthy notes from the hops, along with spices that I know aren't in the beer, like allspice and cloves.

Proximity to the Style: An imperial wit isn't exactly a traditional style, but this is damned fine stuff, and is what an imperial wit should be.

Overall Impression: Definitely my favorite, brewtus. keep on rockin' this one. Keep the recipe, don't change anything. And send me more!

SCORE: 45/50

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #30
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks again guys. I've got another round of 8+ batches that will be ready soon and may be sending out some unsolicited samples as the reviews that you posted we very imformative - just what I was looking for.

Now if I could just track down that Brewtopia character...

Quick Reply