Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 - OhioBrewtus' brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I did get your e-mail, but I just couldn't find it last night. Thanks for the key!

7S - AC/DC Stout

Appearance:
Dark, murky brown with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly. Slight to no lacing.

Aroma:
Predominantly yeast with an almost Belgian quality. Roasted grain and chocolate with barely a hint of cherry.

Taste:
Very roasty with pronounced oak. A bit harsh. Chocolate and cherry from the aroma are initially overcome by bitterness from the predominant flavors. As I got toward the bottom of the glass, I began to notice an alcohol-like bite that leaves an odd, slightly astringent aftertaste - perhaps the cherry coming through?

Mouthfeel:
Full and thick. Slightly more carbonated than required.

Drinkability:
The aroma does not prepare you for the assault on the tastebuds. Age would do this beer a lot of good, I think. An OK beer that I'd share with friends and attempt to refine next time by cutting back the black barley, black patent, and/or roasted malt.

Style-appropriate:
Definitely a stout. The wood aging doesn't detract from it at all, but the heavy roasted notes deliver more bitterness than is probably desirable, and that "bite" leaves things just a tad off for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

8K - Kiltlifter Wee Heavy

Appearance:
Murky mahogany reddish-brown - nice color, and what I would expect of a Scottish ale, surely it would be gorgeous if it were clear. Thin head, quickly dissipated.

Aroma:
ALCOHOL! Once you get through the initial alcohol burn, it's malty and sweet. Very slight ester profile.

Taste:
Very pronounced alcohol bite with an earthy, peaty finish. Malty with a nice hop bitterness. The occasional sweet/caramel note pops through. Alcohol is the predominant flavor throughout.

Mouthfeel:
Dry but not too thin. Carbonation is about right.

Drinkability:
Definitely a one-pint-per-night beer. The alcohol is too pronounced, making it a bit of a harsh-drinking beer. This beer is in your face from start to finish. Pairing it with food (bread) makes the alcohol bite even more pronounced. Fermenting it a bit colder may keep the bite to a minimum.

Style-appropriate:
I'm not overly familiar with the style, so I can't comment too much here. Definitely Scottish, definitely a kilt-lifter with the high ABV.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

12K - Kölsch

Appearance:
Very nice, tall, white, frothy head. Beautiful pale golden color with just a bit of haze.

Aroma:
Very clean with a slight but distinct fruity nose that I might attribute to hops. Quite reminiscent of a pilsner.

Taste:
The nose had me prepared for a pilsner flavor, but that pilsner hop bite isn't there at all. Instead, it's very clean and balanced. Hops are there but not assertive. Slight Granny Smith apple twang adds some character. Malt is mild - little sweetness if any.

Mouthfeel:
Clean and crisp. Carbonated a little high, which suits it well.

Drinkability:
Session beer all the way. I like this beer quite a bit. It's just a tad boring, but the balance and refreshing lightness make it a winner. BMC drinkers should be introduced to homebrew with something like this. It's got just enough character to keep it from being lackluster, and it's a really easy drinking beer.

Style-appropriate:
Again, not a style I'm really familiar with, but this has got to be spot on for a Kölsch.

EDIT:
This was a really great beer. My favorite so far (about halfway through the sampler).

Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

13P - HoneyDo Porter

Appearance:
Deep, dark, clear brown with a very slight reddish/mahogany tone. The clearest of ob's beers I've had to date. Pours with little tan head that settles to a thin ring.

Aroma:
Very clean. Roasted grain with brown sugar/molasses notes. Very slight hint of bready yeast. Pleasant, sweet, looking forward to the first sip.

Taste:
Surprisingly light. Dare I say a bit watered down? Very little flavor up front. The roasted notes are apparent, but not nearly as strong as I'd expect. The brown sugar and molasses are present only in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Very thin and watery. Carbonated medium to high. Needs some body.

Drinkability:
Certainly easy to drink. Probably not all that strong in ABV. Lacking in character overall. Not bad, but not what I'd expect of a porter.

Style-appropriate:
More of an English mild or brown ale than a porter, I'd say. Needs more roasty goodness and some body.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the honest feedback, guys. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:55 AM   #16
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

No problem, ob! If anything I say in the reviews sounds negative, it's not a personal attack. It's also not a sign at all that I'm not enjoying your beer. Every one of them has been pretty good - I'm actually having a great time trying the excellent sampler. Makes me wish I had more beer to share!

9J - Jingle Hell

Appearance:
Cloudy golden color. A little drab. Pours with a very thin ring of white foam.

Aroma:
VERY clean. Just a hint of citrus. Malty and delicious to the nose.

Taste:
WOW! Now this is a beer that conceals it's high ABV well! It's sweet and citrus laced - lots of orange. Just a touch of bitterness at the finish, likely due to the alcohol.

Mouthfeel:
Just right. Carbonated well, a little heavy on the palate - just what I expected from the description.

Drinkability:
I'd drink this all night...but it'd be a short night because of the high alcohol content. A great beer for special occasions or perhaps when SWMBO needs a little extra encouragement. Great beer.

Style-appropriate:
Not sure what style this is. Imperial Wit? If it's a variation on a wit, the color is too dark, but the flavor is all there.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #17
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

16B - Baby light

Appearance:
Foamy! Big bubbly foam that really wants to overflow if you're not careful. Light golden, almost clear with a VERY slight haze. See video below.

Aroma:
Clean. Unremarkable. BMC with barely a hint of esters.

Taste:
Overcarbonated, as OB mentioned. Clean. Unremarkable. BMC.

Mouthfeel:
See above.

Drinkability:
This screams lawnmower beer except for the overcarbonation. Very easy to drink and rather refreshing.

Style-appropriate:
Right on for an American light beer.

Video!
Taken just after I poured this beer. Look carefully in the center of the glass - you can see tons of bubbles rising up from the laser etched ring. The resolution kinda got killed on YouTube, so it's a little difficult to see details.

[YOUTUBE]Z3dHbwT_AtE[/YOUTUBE]

Old 09-17-2007, 02:28 AM   #18
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

I certainly don't expect every review of one of my beers to be completely positive. In fact, most of the reviews that I've seen to date of my brews have been in line with my own personal reviews of my beers.

No review is seen as a personal attack of any kind. I'd rather have an honest negative review than have someone blow smoke up my ass.

As for the Baby Light... I'm surprised that you had that little head. I had one about a week ago and it was 80% foam when I poured it. I hate that beer. It was a kit that SWMBO ordered and I brewed for her. As soon as I saw that I was supposed to crush and add beano tablets to the boil I knew that I was going to be in trouble.

Thank God I have an Arrogant Bastard to drink and not a Baby Light! (which of course, SWMBO named.. not me.)

Old 09-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #19
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
As for the Baby Light... I'm surprised that you had that little head.
As soon as I saw that I was supposed to crush and add beano tablets to the boil I knew that I was going to be in trouble.
It took me several minutes to pour this beer, or I would've had a foamy mess.

Adding beano to the boil? Wouldn't that denature any enzymes that are supposed to work for you later? Weird.

It really wasn't that bad, but it's not a beer I would brew. BMC is cheap enough to buy, and I don't feel compelled to replicate it.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:42 AM   #20
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

I completely agree with you, but SWMBO was bound and determined to have me brew this, so I did.

As previously mentioned, I hate this beer.

Quick Reply