Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 - OhioBrewtus' brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Beerswap 2007 - OhioBrewtus' brews

Please post your reviews of my brews here. Brews were sent out to Brewtopia, Evan! and Yuri_Rage

Brew coding reference (this is all from memory so some of the abv numbers may not be accurate but I will correct later this evening if I need to):
--------------------------------------------

7S - AC/DC Stout - This is a double chocolate dark cheery stout that sat on light American oak chips for a bit under two weeks in secondary. 4.1%

8K - Kiltlifter Wee Heavy - Scottish Wee Heavy - 8.8%

9J - Jingle Hell - I like to refer to this as Hoegaarden on steriods 9.3% abv

10B - Blue Bitch - This is an 'Imperial' Hefe brewed with dried lemon peel, lemongrass, and bottled with blueberry extract. 9.8%

11H - Hoegaarden clone - this was my second attempt at a Hoegaarden clone

12K - Kolsch

13P - HoneyDo Porter - honey porter

SA - Summer Ale clone

15A - Apfelwine

16B - Baby light (a low carb beer that SWMBO bought a kit for... man is this beer overcarbonated)

17S - Snowman Ale - this was attempt #3 at Hoegaarden. I modified the recipe a bit from above, and used yeast that I cultivated from Hoegaarden bottles and stepped up several times rather than using WLP400.

CCA - everyone knows what this is

SAII - Summer Ale version 2.0 (may be a bit green if consumed prior to 9/20)

21DD - Hoegaarden clone ( or as I affectionately call it - Donkey Dick's Belgian Wit... it's a long story )- This was attempt #4 at Hoegaarden (may be a bit green if consumed prior to 9/20).

I think that covers all of the different brews that I sent out to everyone.

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 09-12-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drank all your beers. I'll be posting reviews shortly. I promise!!!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Default 8K - 'Kiltlifter' Wee Heavy

8K - 'Kiltlifter' Wee Heavy

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: Nice hiss, low carbonation (works for the style), beautiful caramel-rust color. Very inviting.

Aroma: This is malt heaven. I only wish my wee heavy had smelled this good. I get freshly baked bread, toffee, caramel, molassas, you name it. Not very forceful on the hops, true to style.

Palate: Delivered on the promises of the nose: doughy, malty, roasty, very toffee-ish. A faint hop taste, but almost imperceptible. The mouthfeel is awesome...very creamy and silky, and full!!! The only complaint here is that it seems a little toned down compared to the nose. Everything is there, of course, and it all works, but it seems like someone just turned down the volume a couple notches. But there's not much to be done about that.

Proximity to the Style: I've had plenty of scottish wee heavies, and this seems like it hits pretty close to the mark. You said it's 8.8% ABV, but it doesn't seem like it. A lot of commercial wee heavies tend to show their alcohol a little bit more than this, which can be a good thing. But at 8.8%, what else can you do?

Overall Impression: One of my favorites from the melange, and could easily stand up with commercial examples. I want the recipe, as my wee heavy kinda sucked.

SCORE: 41/50

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Default 7S - 'AC/DC Stout'

7S - 'AC/DC Stout'

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: Low hiss, standard carbonation. Very small off-white head and no lacing. Almost 100% opaque color, with slight reddish edges.

Aroma: The roasted grains are there, but seem subdued. Very little hop aroma, if any. Slightly malty, but more fruit than anything else. Smells slightly estery. I can't put my finger on it, but something is off. Probably the esters, but that's not all.

Palate: Now I see what it is...the blackcherry extract. I remember now. Why do I remember? Because I had a botched oatmeal stout that had way too much roasted grains in it, so I oaked the hell out of it, then added blackcherry extract at bottling...just like this recipe. Something about the blackcherry and oak just doesn't sit well with me...in my batch and in brewtus'. Instead of simply making it cherry-ish, it gives it an odd cough-syrup backdrop. Not my cup o' tea...but I've got a case of my own, so I'll get through it. The cocoa is imperceptible---the cherry and oak have taken over entirely. It tastes medicinal and overwrought.

Proximity to the Style: Um, what style? Fruit beer? I dunno. Not really anything to compare it to except the one that I have just like it. It's close to that.

Overall Impression: Like I said, not my cup o' tea. There's a clash in there between the oak and the roasted grains and the black cherry. One would think they'd go well together, but I think this needs time to mellow or something. I'm gonna sit on my case for awhile. Pretty crazy that we both did the same thing...

SCORE: 18/50

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 09-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Default 11H - Hoegaarden Clone #1

11H - Hoegaarden Clone #1

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics: Nice hiss and pour; very pretty head (almost to the top of my goblet). Beautiful lacing, slowly dissipating head. Color is a little darker than Hoegaarden, but almost there.

Aroma: Not exactly Hoegaarden. Better, I think. A little more orange peel and coriander than Hoegie...more aroma. Wow...this smells amazing. I love witbier, so this is a treat.

Palate: Oh yeah....this is gooood stuff. Orange peel, coriander, wit yeast spiciness...and a very forceful flavor that really works well here. Ultimately refreshing and drinkable, this one went down quickly. The body is a little thicker than Hoegie, and the mouthfeel is very silky. It might be missing something right in the middle of the palate, but you can't win 'em all.

Proximity to the Style: Spot-effing-on, baby.

Overall Impression: I'd take this over the actual Hoegaarden any day of the week. More flavor, more aroma, better body, more fulfilling and enjoyable overall. I'm a big wit fan, as I said, so take it from a discriminating wit drinker: this is a winner.

SCORE: 39/50

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Thanks for the reviews, Evan. I look forward to reading the rest.

The only way we learn how to make our beers better is by the honest critique of others.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I want the recipe, as my wee heavy kinda sucked.
The batch that I sent you was a PM, believe it or not. I have an AG version in primary right now and if I'm happy with it when it's done I'll gladly post the recipe for all.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

OB - got the beers today. They were WELL packed - nicely done! I can't wait to try them all out. I'm trying not to read the other reviews before posting my own, though I caught a glimpse of the Hoegaarden review above, and it made my mouth water.

Could you post a key? A quick edit to your original post up top would work well.

Thanks so much!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

CCA

Appearance:
Deep, golden amber with a thick, pillowy white head. The small bubbles in the head quickly grouped into large bubbles, then dissipated to a thin white collar that laced nicely down the sides of the glass as it emptied. It's a bit cloudy, but I poured it about 15 minutes after receiving it from FedEx and chilling it in an ice-water bath, so perhaps it was still agitated from shipping.

Aroma:
Sweet with prominent vanilla and sugary candy notes. Slightly fruity - pear or apple? Pleasant.

Taste:
Very subtle up front but quickly coats the tongue with a sweet, persistent vanilla flavor. The vanilla is very pronounced and perhaps a bit "fake" - as if it were vanilla flavoring rather than real beans or good extract. Caramel notes are minimal - perhaps lost in the sweetness provided by lactose or Splenda. The fruitiness from the nose doesn't really carry over to any fruit overtones in the flavor.

Mouthfeel:
Light and full at the same time. The carbonation gives it a light, easy drinking feel, but the sweetness brings a mouth-coating, silky smoothness to the experience.

Drinkability:
I'd like to say session beer. My first impression was that I could drink it all night. By the end of a pint, it gets a little heavy, and the cloying sweetness combined with the persistent vanilla flavor makes me think that a pint or two would be enough. Still, an enjoyable beer, and one I'd have again!

Style-appropriate:
Cream ale? No. Creme-filled candy ale? If there were such a style, this complies 100%.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
OB - got the beers today. They were WELL packed - nicely done! I can't wait to try them all out. I'm trying not to read the other reviews before posting my own, though I caught a glimpse of the Hoegaarden review above, and it made my mouth water.

Could you post a key? A quick edit to your original post up top would work well.

Thanks so much!
I emailed it to you a couple of nights ago so check to see if you still have it. Regardless, I'll post a key to the brews as best as I can from memory and double-check it when I get home tonight. I have it on my laptop at home and I'm at work right now.

Quick Reply