HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007: Joebou4860's Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #11
joebou4860
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

and just to make sure you have all the recipes the OWKSPBA was from BYO 150 clones

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #12
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been slacking on posting the review, took copious notes however.

Obi-Wan Kenobi's Succulent Pufferfish Brown Ale

Aroma: Little to no hop aroma. Some malt aroma with no one particular aroma that really stood out. The malt became slightly stronger as the beer warmed, but only noticeably.

Appearance: A nice medium brown with some haziness. I am reluctant to gauge the haziness with darker beers, because their dark.

Taste: Only the faintest amount of hop bitterness. As the beer warmed I thought I could detect some hop flavour, but I might be reaching. Low to medium malt flavour with some complexity. As with the aroma, no particular malt flavour was overwhelming.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: Good carbonation, head retention lasted half-way through the glass. On the dry side of mouthfeel.

Overall: This is a well done brown ale. The ferment was clean and complete with malt flavour out-balancing the hops. I liked the mouthfeel and malt level, however if I was to do the recipe I might fiddle with the chocolate malt levels for a little more complexity to the malt flavour.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 AM   #13
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

High Gear Pale Ale

Aroma: Little to no hop aroma. A small amount of malt aroma.

Appearance: Good medium amber colour. A small amount of haze.

Taste: I got a lot of bitterness from this beer. Definitely between an APA's and an IPA's. A small amount of flavour hops. The malt flavour was out-balanced by the bitterness.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: Mouthfeel was good, not too thin, not too thick. The carbonation was a little light and the head lasted about a third of the glass.

Overall: I really wish I had waited longer before trying this beer. I think most of the bitterness I detected may have faded even after a month or so. However, I can see what you mean by trying for a beer between an IPA and an APA. If I was doing the recipe, I would probably either change the hopping schedule for more late hops. At that point however, it would be pretty much an IPA.

I enjoyed all the beers. The fermentation was clean and complete on all of them.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Quick Reply