Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007- Glibbidys Mind lubricants

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Do you have any left to share next month?
Yes, I'll save a bottle for educational purposes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #12
cj8scrambler

Recipes 

Sorry I'm a bit late with my reviews. Took me a while to get around to tasting all of them. I don't think I figured out what the special beer was unless it had to do with the hopping of the IPA.

Simply Stout
Disclaimer: I haven't been a fan of dark beers in the past, but I'm learning. It poured jet black with a caramel colored thick rocky head. I could see the viscousness of the beer as I poured it. I could taste a pronounced, but still balanced smoke flavor. There was a slight sweetness which went well with the bold flavor. Not much aroma. On each sip I tasted a citrusy twang on the rim of the glass like it had been rubbed with a lime. I have no idea where that came from. There was a lot of sediment settling in the glass by the time I finished. Overall a good beer which will encourage me to try more stouts in the future.

Ammerillo Ale Pale Ale
Light color with a clean whispy head. Strong hops flavor with a mild aroma. Strong bitterness which seems to border on an IPA. Good carbonation. A refreshing beverage on a hot summer day.

Imperial IPA
Holy hops! This is a hoppy beer. It poured in a thick orange color with a thick head. The taste was bold. Hops dominated the aroma, taste and bitterness. Definitely an uber-IPA.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #13
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Default Acetaldehyde

Now that everyone has provided feedback on these beers, I am finally able to reveal the attributes of the special beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Now on to the simply stout.
Taste----- First impression is I have never had a stout like this before, very different taste than im used to in a stout. t does seem a little on the sweet side to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
Here's the Simply Stout
Taste: Burnt chocolate flavors from the malt and a little sweetness, but there is an acidic flavor in there, almost like lemon. It has a very sharp flavor up front that then fades into the roast and chocolate. Just a little bitterness on the back end.

Overall: I'm wondering if this bottle may be infected. I'm looking at your recipe that you provided and everything looks fine. The grain bill, the hops, gravity, yeast. I can taste the stout in the back end, but the acid flavor is a bit overpowering. Either that or shipping just may have not been kind getting it all the way to me. Looking at the other posts, this seems to be isolated at just my bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8scrambler
Simply Stout
each sip I tasted a citrusy twang on the rim of the glass like it had been rubbed with a lime.
I brewed ten gallons of this stout. Five 5 went into a keg, and turned out fine. The other 5 gallons got bottled. Somewhere along the line it picked up a bacterial infection. My guess is between the secondary and bottling. I tasted a bottle of this shortly after I shipped these out an immediately realized that this beer was bad IMHO. Kudos to you guys for choking it down, and finding it drinkable. To me this beer tasted of green apples which is usually a sign of young beer or an infection. What you tasted was Acetaldehyde.

While you all were able to taste something different about this beer, shouts out to Brewsmith being the closest on identifying it!
Now you all know what Acetaldehyde tastes like in a beer.

Look for more beer from me in the mail to make up for this bad batch.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Glib, I take my request back!

(unless you still have some in the keg )

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Glib, I take my request back!
(unless you still have some in the keg )
No backsies! .......Nobody said you had to swallow.

Last edited by Glibbidy; 08-30-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
Nobody said you had to swallow!
I am *so* not going to make any comments here....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #17
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So is it bad that I liked it. Im not sure how you guys pulled out that flavor, I could taste something different just could not put my finger on it, guess im still new to all this.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #18
Glibbidy

Recipes 

If you liked it, that is fine. You tasted something different, you didn't know what it was...this is a start. It's great that you could really identify something about this beer that was different. Pinning a description to the taste is another thing. Time, and exposure will help you on your way.

Last edited by Glibbidy; 08-30-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply